Unofficial Preview 2015 AFL draft thread - needs, wants, prospect discussion, the whole nine yards - all in here

Remove this Banner Ad

We lose in 2012 one missing piece in the puzzle ,a key defender ,we recruit one Brian Lake ,,,,well bugger me if we don't win the next 3 flags with lake winning Norm smith in one and going close in the other 2 .Lake retires after the 2015 flag and we have arguably the best defender in the draft available with our first draft pick to replace him (logical choice you would think ) what do we do pick a guy with a horrendous injury with our first pick but hey still a lot of good young kids around with our 2nd but we go for ........ a 173 cm mid from Tassie . Been following this club and our picks for years and this is going back to the dark days when Peter Schwab was running the show.

Could you please start a thread on this basis - could be one of those amazing bump threads in 2017-20 that we can all have a giggle at.

I know very little about the prospective players. However, seeing that we have picked forwards, and small ones at that, I foresee a change of gameplan for us coming up. I had read some about Burton, and if he stays on the park, believe he will be a huge success. Who else can visualize Big Pit palming it down to Lovell in 2017.

I trust in Wrighty but am f_cking disappointed with what we've got.

Burton had talent but has been injured for so long the scouts aren't sure if he'll end up like Mark LeCras or Matt Little; and did we really need another third tall forward? Where are we going to play all of Schoey, Sicily, TOB and Burton?

Lovell is a midget onballer who is a ball magnet but according to the reviews I have read, is not that effective as a small forward and has only average disposal by foot.... and by that when one expert identified that when he butchers it, he seriously butchers it.

Hardwick is a small forward with average speed and endurance, although a good set of hands and a good shot for goal, although average field kicking. Sounds like Shannon Gibson 2.0 who we selected in the 90s after dominating as a smallish forward in the TAC comp.

:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

We lose in 2012 one missing piece in the puzzle ,a key defender ,we recruit one Brian Lake ,,,,well bugger me if we don't win the next 3 flags with lake winning Norm smith in one and going close in the other 2 .Lake retires after the 2015 flag and we have arguably the best defender in the draft available with our first draft pick to replace him (logical choice you would think ) what do we do pick a guy with a horrendous injury with our first pick but hey still a lot of good young kids around with our 2nd but we go for ........ a 173 cm mid from Tassie . Been following this club and our picks for years and this is going back to the dark days when Peter Schwab was running the show.

That's a massive overreaction mate, we have a top drawer gorilla defender already in Frawley. The back 6 always plays well when Spangher is in the team, Christ he's only played in one loss for the Hawks, then Heatherley and Brand have down enough to deserve a chance and bugger me if we didn't pick up a Free Agent who can play relief ruck and tall back. Lake was not needed and that's why he was encouraged into retirement and we certainly don't need to replace him with a marginal prospect like Collins (and good luck to the kid by the way, nice young fella)

Yeah can't help thinking that at least the first 2 we picked up could've been a lot better than just good players .
Burton is a bit unknown because of injuries but he was pretty much top 3 ranked before injury so for me this is a great get, we can afford to take our time get him right and then we have a gun.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where you also the guy that thought Matthew Watson was also an outstanding back-man that we missed.

North got - McKay / Hibberd / Clarke. I don't think in their wildest dreams they could have asked for that last night
I said this earlier in the thread, they _always_ seem to pick a bunch of guys that where highly rated on Big Footy but slid. I swear their recruiting staff just spend the year reading phantom drafts here.

Problem with being swayed with deliberately positive highlights packages is just that. We don't know the negatives these players have. There's more to recruiting. These guys have to buy into the club culture as well.

Our recruiters picked up some duds in the mid to late 2000s. Yes, we picked up amazing key pieces via trading and free agency. However - 15 of our 22 this year on GF day came to us via a draft of some sort. The current recruiters have a tiny bit of credit in the bank - let's see how these kids do at Box Hill and maybe Hawthorn next year before we start acting like petulant flogs.

You guys carrying on about the club not picking the players you had your hearts set on are bloody embarrassing...yourselves.

So what part don't you agree with ? Is Lake still playing ? So don't worry about replacing him ? Best young KD in the draft available but we don't need him ? What am I missing a 173 cm mid is he that good ?
Kaiden Brand and Heatherley want opportunities.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back