Best singing voices ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned Art Garfunkel earlier in the thread if I remember rightly. What was the deal with the fallout between he and Paul Simon?

Which one?

There's a host of reasons but mostly it comes down to their clashing personalities imo. Art is a super chill dude who loved a bit of grass while Simon is an uptight perfectionist with a Napoleon complex. Helluva songwriter but a very weird unit.

Just watched a couple of James Taylor vids on YouTube. Man, what an effortless sound he got. Not a huge range, but smooth as silk

Aged like a fine wine, still has a terrific sound even though he must be in his 70's by now.

Speaking of which, Jeff Lynne is a touch underrated too.

Pretty whack for a bloke in his mid 60's (vid is from 2012). Sounds almost the same as he did 40 years earlier...

Dunno about best, but here are some to appreciate:

Mature Costello, even if he can over-sing.
Marissa Nadler, Alela Diane and Susanne Sundfør real swell too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Layne Staley probably stands out the most to me, such a unique sound. David Johansen is one I don't see mentioned nearly enough, his stuff with the dolls is awesome, so are his early solo records. Mike Patton has ridiculous versatility, he'd definitely be up there.

Andrea Bocelli.

Con te Partiro gives me goose pimples.
Interestingly, his voice is not highly regarded in opera circles. Struggles with diction, and not strong in the upper and lower registers.

I think the studio masks a lot of the problems that are evident when you put him in front of an orchestra. He is more of a showman than a singer - sort of along the lines of Andre Rieu.

4 years and 8 pages in, no one mentioned Christine McVie?

I'm not going to pretend I know music technically, but instinctively her voice comes across as best imo. It'll be interesting to read if there's criticisms of her or that not being mentioned is just an oversight?

She has a good voice but she tends to get overlooked because Stevie Nicks is one of the GOAT female rock singers.

Lindsey Buckingham is a great singer too, it's a disgrace that they sacked him from Fleetwood Mac, as much as I like Neil Finn he's no Lindsey Buckingham.

I couldn't imagine Neil pulling off this song as well as Lindsey could.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back