Senior 19. Phoenix Foster (2022 - )

Remove this Banner Ad

Norwood’s Phoenix Foster picked by Geelong in 2022 AFL Draft​

A top SA draft prospect thought his AFL dream was over on Tuesday night before a call from a familiar name changed his life forever.

Norwood Football Club and Immanuel College draft prospect Phoenix Foster was sitting in a Tumby Bay pub on Tuesday night with his AFL Draft dream seemingly over, but one phone call would change his life.

With the bar’s small television muted, the talented ruckman out of Wudinna on the Eyre Peninsula could hardly make out what was happening on the screen as the draft ticked through to pick 52.

The room was soon sent into delirium though as top SA draftee Mattaes Phillipou called to tell him he’d been picked by reigning premier Geelong.

“I just burst into tears and my family and the boys mobbed me,” Foster said of the moment.

“It had reached the stage where I was wondering if it was ever going to happen and I had just had a couple tough phone calls with my manager dampening expectations and preparing for the disappointment.

“In a matter of moments I got the call from Mattaes and then had guys like Tom Stewart from Geelong buzzing me – I can’t even describe how it felt.”

Beginning his A Grade footy career for Wudinna at just 14 years old, the 18-year-old forward/ruck utility reached his AFL goal the hard way.

Travelling to Adelaide to join Immanuel College as a footy boarder in 2020, Foster saw nearly his entire season put on hold during Covid before being able to hit the field again during 2021.

In just one year, the athletic big managed to impress SA and Norwood coaches as well as talent scouts from around the nation.

“I started kicking a footy as soon as I could walk and managed to progress at Wudinna pretty quickly, the club was really important in my early development,” Foster said.

“I eventually moved to Immanuel but was set back another year with Covid so only had that one year to make a name for myself.

“Growing up on the Eyre Peninsula my whole life I did it the hard way – I wasn’t groomed to other systems and didn’t have a heap of exposure but after taking my footy more serious in recent years I managed to really improve.”

Foster credited his development to dual Crows premiership captain Mark Bickley at Immanuel and Jade Rawlings and Michael Nolan at Norwood.

“Bicks was a real calming presence for me but always pushed me to do better and working under him and Peter McIntyre at Immanuel was huge for me.

“Norwood was also a super empowering experience for me as a vice captain of the U18s and I feel I really honed my ability in the ruck and up front at the club.

“I’m so excited to get to Geelong now – it’s a big country town really and my uncle, Daniel Foster, was drafted there in 1999 so I’ve got a connection and I know I’ll fit in well.”

Bickley said, despite being a late pick, Foster could have a major impact at the Cats.

“He moves around the ground well, he clunks the ball very well up front and for a 197cm tall bloke he kicks beautifully so his potential is huge,” he said.

“He’s a really impressive guy who loves the game and he’s going to be a player the club looks at as a key forward but can also pinch-hit in ruck and impact there.

“In two years time he could honestly be a Tom Hawkins replacement.”

He didn’t test at the combine. Knee tendinitis. He was invited though to the main combine.

He looks athletic but not agile if that makes sense. Not many quick cuts. All train track sort of stuff. Like a Levi Casboult. All this from a 1 minute highlight package though. 😂

Yeah that was who he reminded me of too.
Casboult has been serviceable for a long time-if foster gets to that level for a late pick thats not bad.

The one I was hoping for.

Nice selection.
Why did you hope for him?

How is it that you (and so many others) are across so many young players? It's lucky that some of you know about so many of these players, it definitely helps for those of us that just read most of the information they find about draftees on here,

Why did you hope for him?

How is it that you (and so many others) are across so many young players? It's lucky that some of you know about so many of these players, it definitely helps for those of us that just read most of the information they find about draftees on here,
My hopes for Foster were based on needs and watching highlights.

I watched a stack of NAB under 18 games during the year but I mainly take an interest in the Falcons ... This year I had a friends son represent the Falcons as a bottom ager although he didn't play many games due to a knee injury.

A top SA draft prospect thought his AFL dream was over on Tuesday night before a call from a familiar name changed his life forever.

Norwood Football Club and Immanuel College draft prospect Phoenix Foster was sitting in a Tumby Bay pub on Tuesday night with his AFL Draft dream seemingly over, but one phone call would change his life.

With the bar’s small television muted, the talented ruckman out of Wudinna on the Eyre Peninsula could hardly make out what was happening on the screen as the draft ticked through to pick 52.

The room was soon sent into delirium though as top SA draftee Mattaes Phillipou called to tell him he’d been picked by reigning premier Geelong.

“I just burst into tears and my family and the boys mobbed me,” Foster said of the moment.

“It had reached the stage where I was wondering if it was ever going to happen and I had just had a couple tough phone calls with my manager dampening expectations and preparing for the disappointment.

“In a matter of moments I got the call from Mattaes and then had guys like Tom Stewart from Geelong buzzing me – I can’t even describe how it felt.”

Beginning his A Grade footy career for Wudinna at just 14 years old, the 18-year-old forward/ruck utility reached his AFL goal the hard way.

Travelling to Adelaide to join Immanuel College as a footy boarder in 2020, Foster saw nearly his entire season put on hold during Covid before being able to hit the field again during 2021.

In just one year, the athletic big managed to impress SA and Norwood coaches as well as talent scouts from around the nation.

“I started kicking a footy as soon as I could walk and managed to progress at Wudinna pretty quickly, the club was really important in my early development,” Foster said.

“I eventually moved to Immanuel but was set back another year with Covid so only had that one year to make a name for myself.

“Growing up on the Eyre Peninsula my whole life I did it the hard way – I wasn’t groomed to other systems and didn’t have a heap of exposure but after taking my footy more serious in recent years I managed to really improve.”

Foster credited his development to dual Crows premiership captain Mark Bickley at Immanuel and Jade Rawlings and Michael Nolan at Norwood.

“Bicks was a real calming presence for me but always pushed me to do better and working under him and Peter McIntyre at Immanuel was huge for me.

“Norwood was also a super empowering experience for me as a vice captain of the U18s and I feel I really honed my ability in the ruck and up front at the club.

“I’m so excited to get to Geelong now – it’s a big country town really and my uncle, Daniel Foster, was drafted there in 1999 so I’ve got a connection and I know I’ll fit in well.”

Bickley said, despite being a late pick, Foster could have a major impact at the Cats.

“He moves around the ground well, he clunks the ball very well up front and for a 197cm tall bloke he kicks beautifully so his potential is huge,” he said.

“He’s a really impressive guy who loves the game and he’s going to be a player the club looks at as a key forward but can also pinch-hit in ruck and impact there.

I remember Daniel Foster.

You’re making Geelong sound interesting mate. I thought it was like a little version of Adelaide where everyone smokes gear.
It reminds me a little of cheers if you've seen that sitcom.

Do we reckon he's more Mitch Lewis/Nick Larkey or Wylie Buzza in terms of later round KPF?

There is three clips on him below... Seems to get out on a lead okay, but not enough footage to really see what his pace is like.

Sort of like Ben Brown too, but doesn't have a turning arc like a b-double like Brown does, still probably not the most agile type. Straight lines, lead up type forward, and can ruck.

Those clips are a little more informative. He is a smooth convertor. Mark and kick type > Id not be putting too much hope for him down back as I mot sure he is that agile but he can clunk it...something that we lack. If he can put on ten Kgs and still keep his vertical then who knows.

Holy snapping fishbait batman ..... one of the failure from the superdraft. Wonder never sease.

Have to say he does sound a character ..watching the draft in pub ....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bangers Says - Tony Bamford's assessment of Phoenix Foster​

”He’s probably the best story of our program, Phoenix.
”Phoenix wasn’t going to play in Round 1 of the Nationals but he came in as soon as Harry (Barnett) was deemed unavailable due to Covid.
”The big fella (Phoenix), I don’t think he believed me when I initially told him he was going to play.
”He was clearly surprised but also excited about the opportunity and he just ripped the game apart.
”Why? He believes in himself, he’s full of energy this kid. He’s a little bit extraverted, he’s not short on confidence. He’s not arrogant but he believes he has some potential he wants to realise.
”He’s a ball of energy which his teammates feed off. He played the lights out, his first half was next level. Even as coaches, we were surprised at the level he got to in that first game.
”He’s come from a long way back when you compare him to the other talls. Phoenix has had next to no involvement in a pathway outside of some stuff inconsistently in Norwood’s country program.
”So the upside in his game is huge and (AFL) clubs have seen that now.
”I really like Phoenix, I think he’s got what it takes to play at the next level as a key forward, second ruck.”

Interesting how everyone sees players in different way
My first thought watching highlights of Phoenix was of Fish
Nice marks at highest point
Easy relaxed kick at goal
Really hope he makes it, because if he does could be very handy

Bangers Says - Tony Bamford's assessment of Phoenix Foster​

”He’s probably the best story of our program, Phoenix.
”Phoenix wasn’t going to play in Round 1 of the Nationals but he came in as soon as Harry (Barnett) was deemed unavailable due to Covid.
”The big fella (Phoenix), I don’t think he believed me when I initially told him he was going to play.
”He was clearly surprised but also excited about the opportunity and he just ripped the game apart.
”Why? He believes in himself, he’s full of energy this kid. He’s a little bit extraverted, he’s not short on confidence. He’s not arrogant but he believes he has some potential he wants to realise.
”He’s a ball of energy which his teammates feed off. He played the lights out, his first half was next level. Even as coaches, we were surprised at the level he got to in that first game.
”He’s come from a long way back when you compare him to the other talls. Phoenix has had next to no involvement in a pathway outside of some stuff inconsistently in Norwood’s country program.
”So the upside in his game is huge and (AFL) clubs have seen that now.
”I really like Phoenix, I think he’s got what it takes to play at the next level as a key forward, second ruck.”

Mates with Philipou and has confidence ...is it in the water over there?

Be nice to see some highlights of the game he ripped apart

Mates with Philipou and has confidence ...is it in the water over there?

Be nice to see some highlights of the game he ripped apart
Adelaide is full of cocky people and you don’t have to be an “athlete” to notice it. Nothing wrong with confidence, though.

Honestly nothing wrong with a guy with a bit of confidence...
Would give something for Neale to compete with and raise his game at the same time..
Good Speculative Pick I reckon..

What type was he. To many brain cells have departed since then Tall?
He was a key defender. Played about a dozen or so games.

Didn't realise he was related to Daniel Foster. I remember him. Tall defender, bloodnut, wore #23 and had some rotten luck with injuries.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back