Review Round 4, 2023 vs Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Did some basic analysis on the last play of the game. Hard with the footage we have, but it's clear where the 3 failings are.

1. Heeney gets free in the middle, after the Rozee bomb clearance, What happened:

• SPP and Marshall are pushed back into defence, so the ball is going to be coming back. The kick from Rozee is a good one and buys 10-11 seconds from the kick to the moment Heeney marks it.
  • Heeney lead up from F50 through the corridor into all of that open space.
  • Jonas pressed up hard from D50 to cover switching options, he might've been the one who basically abandoned Heeney.
  • Also Bergman is seen to be trailing Heeney by 20m, so it may have been his responsibility and he was caught napping.
  • The other issue here, is that this loose Heeney issue has dragged out SPP from playing spare back as well. So either Bergman & SPP got dragged out by Jonas leaving Heeney, or just SPP got dragged out by Bergman's napping.
  • Probably the biggest failure however is the work rate of our players from the clearance. There are 10-11 seconds from the Rozee kick until the Heeney mark. This is enough time for most of our boys to run between 50-100m. From the pictures you can see it appears Rozee & Butters from the contest + Jonas and Boak all have run a long way in this time to press up in defence. All would've run near that full distance. On the other hand, Ollie, JHF & Dixon, have barely moved. They have not taken up defensive positions to cover space, and their lack of work rate has left the hole in the middle. Butters pressed up, Rozee covered the wing, JHF, Dixon or Wines, one of them needed to be pressing hard into the middle to block that up. The work rate here was a huge failure and ultimately left Heeney with his space to run into.

2. Florent getting free inside 50.
- At the clearance that Rozee kicks from, Florent is on his bike running boundary side of the clearance hoping for it to go his way. Ollie has touch on him and lets him go. Florent continues forward as the play unfolds and Wines, as per the issue above is in absolute no mans land, not working hard enough to take away space and not working hard enough to get to his man.

Many of the other players do their job and hold their positions, but Dixon, Wines and JHF are the clear issues for mine in their lack of workrate. The defender that let Heeney lead out unchecked is the other key failing.
First pic is as Rozee kicks it.

Second pic is as Heeney marks.

View attachment 1654700
Awesome analysis thank you

Gave Sydney 2 goals though appalling bad calls and stole 1 goal from Port in the worse video review in living memory?

Yes, that video review was farcical. I think you are referring to a shot by Jed McEntee and the Sydney defender's hand is clearly behind the line so it cannot possibly be a touched call. The off field ump didn't have the balls to call it so it reverted to umpire's call. I have had a look at the replay several times and there is no way the ball is touched while in play. The Goal Ump was that rattled that soon after he called for another review on Sam Powell- Pepper's next shot at goal. That one we won.

As I posted previously the umpiring last night was poor not because it was biased but because it lacked common sense. That criticism extends to the Goal Umpires and the Video Umpire. I am not sure if the clubs lodge reports on match umpiring but both both clubs should lodge complaints about the technical standard in last night's game.

To say I was not impressed by last night's umpiring is an understatement.

Last edited:
Why are Travis Boak's numbers weird and off centre? This has been bugging me since the pre season.

I just assume he got advice from Martin Leslie in the off season

How about when Buddy shoves Bergman in the back then collapses on top of him. No free would have been called I guess.

How's good ol Buddy absolutely creaming Bergman. Not a word about it.

Yes, I was that engrossed in Aliir's heroics that I had not noticed Buddy. As Bevo has posted Rule 15.6 about covers it and even if the ball had gone through Bergman should have been awarded a free. I stress 'should have' because with last evening's (ch)umps anything could have happened.

Imagine Florent's reaction if the ball had gone through but the Umps had the balls to call a free against Buddy? A meltdown of Chernobyl proportion, over here in Adelaide we probably would have see a brilliant flash light up the eastern horizon. :)

Yes, I was that engrossed in Aliir's heroics that I had not noticed Buddy. As Bevo has posted Rule 15.6 about covers it and even if the ball had gone through Bergman should have been awarded a free. I stress 'should have' because with last evening's (ch)umps anything could have happened.

Imagine Florent's reaction if the ball had gone through but the Umps had the balls to call a free against Buddy? A meltdown of Chernobyl proportion, over here in Adelaide we probably would have see a brilliant flash light up the eastern horizon. :)
I seem to remember another serial offender, blatent push in the back at half forward, Adelaide Oval southern end, enacted by none other than Buddy Franklin. It was maybe a couple of years ago. Against McKenzie? Scored a goal I think.
Protected bird. I bet yesterday's infringement wouldn't have been paid if push came to shove (!!).

The game was absolute trash and by some miracle Sydney were shitter than Port. The way the club is carrying on you would think it was a heroic victory 🤷🏼‍♀️
They didnt even have any tall defenders lol

Yet our talls did heck all

Some observations on the game itself, setting aside the circus surrounding the future of the coach:

It was noticeable very early how the mids were flooding back to support the defence and prevent the blowout scores from the previous two weeks.

That was successful in limiting the Swans’ scoring but also made it harder for us to get the ball inside 50. In fact we had fewer I50s than any of the other games this season despite the small dimensions of the SCG.

I agree that our forward structure and strategy is still poor, and accuracy in front of goal a problem, but the ratio of scoring shots to I50s was pretty decent at a bit below 50%. We shouldn’t read too much into that though as the Swans were down two key defenders very early.

While our lack of high quality KPDs is a big deficiency, in some ways I’m more worried about our midfield. Only two mids had more than 20 disposals. And while once again we had more clearances than the opposition, we were again very poor at converting that stoppage dominance into dangerous attacking opportunities.

Perhaps we look back and think of this as a transition year for the midfield. Boak finally looks done. Wines may have peaked in the wake of his injuries and a body type that is probably not well suited to a long career. And then the younger guys are not quite ready to dominate week after week and quarter after quarter.

I haven’t checked the data but that must have been the first time in years we have come back from 20 points down so late in the game. The effort and intensity was obvious and clearly the players are close (too close) to the coach.

However in many ways there was too much emotion. The reaction after the siren was like we had made a grand final. Historically under Hinkley we have been unable to back up that kind of effort so it will be interesting to see how they go against an average Bulldogs team.

For next week I would probably persist with the DBJ experiment up forward. We need clean and composed users of the ball coming out of defence, which he is not. But those same deficiencies are less of a problem across half forward I think and he won’t go missing as often as Rioli.

That said, I do worry about how few players seem settled in a position at the moment, particularly some of our younger, developing guys. Makes it very difficult to establish themselves.

Finally, I actually think we will make finals this year - in 7th or 8th. The Crows are clearly a bit better than we expected. We have played three other teams who will compete for the top 4. I just hope that isn’t used as an excuse to offer Hinkley another contract.

The game was absolute trash and by some miracle Sydney were shitter than Port. The way the club is carrying on you would think it was a heroic victory 🤷🏼‍♀️

It was a good hard-fought win. Not outstanding by any measure, but i'm not going to downplay it. You go into any game at the SCG knowing it's going to be a scrap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Am I the only one who is a tad concerned at Todd Marshall's form this year? After a breakout year in 2022 I was expecting Todd to at least maintain last year's form but so far he has been up and down with the emphasis on down. Apart from a good last quarter goal Todd had no affect on last night's game. Todd's first shot in the first quarter was the exact opposite of last year when he was threading them through.

Maybe this week Todd will get back to his 2022 best.
He is on target to score the same amount or slightly more goals this year than last? He’s also getting more tackles.

Small sample size. But McKenzie hasnt put a foot wrong this year. Best I’ve seen him play

Lauren Conrad Nod GIF by The Hills

As I said earlier in the thread, it has our 2018 win over Melbourne written all over it. Big win, against the odds, way down in inside 50s, everyone thinking we're back on track, then going from 11-4 to 12-10.

We could 100% come out and lose to the Dogs, wipe all this win did and it wouldn't surprise for 1 second.

Maybe it's a firestarter and we get on a bit of a roll, but sheesh, our form needs a major reversal to get something like that happening, and whilst this might build confidence, I actually think it's more likely that our boys will take the foot off the throttle a bit, they won't maintain the level of pressure we saw Vs Sydney and will get rolled.

That game also featured us AND we only won that game too because Bailey Smith’s shot on goal seconds before the final siren fell short.

How’s that for a coincidence?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back