Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

Its been mentioned before but Sydney used it as an advertising slogan once upon a time.
Yes. As a promotion when another team was trying to weasel their way into Sydney in order to survive, when that club was one of the most vocal in trying to fold our club. A few points on this. The Boo a Roo campaign was not prominently targeting one player. It was two decades ago, times change. Might surprise you but using the n-word at one time was not seen as taboo, it is now. We learn, we change our behaviours and we move on, hopefully leaving society better for it.

He is arguing that the interpretation of someone's comment is separate to the intent of it.
He is actually arguing that Buddy is so stupid that he would think that someone saying "Hi Buddy, how are you?" to him is racist.

Yes. As a promotion when another team was trying to weasel their way into Sydney in order to survive, when that club was one of the most vocal in trying to fold our club. A few points on this. The Boo a Roo campaign was not prominently targeting one player. It was two decades ago, times change. Might surprise you but using the n-word at one time was not seen as taboo, it is now. We learn, we change our behaviours and we move on, hopefully leaving society better for it.
Ah yes, I remember those heady days. What a disaster that was.

He is actually arguing that Buddy is so stupid that he would think that someone saying "Hi Buddy, how are you?" to him is racist.
Over on reddit someone posted this;

"This is litterly re(g)arded, if he says airplanes are racists does that mean airplanes are racist now"

And i think I'll never not think of it when someone makes the BuT iS iT RaCiSt If ... argument.

He is also saying that it would be stupid if Buddy (and Eddie) to assume that 70,000 are all racists for booing.
If he is indeed saying that, it would help to actually say that and not use a downright stupid analogy.

If he is indeed saying that, it would help to actually say that and not use a downright stupid analogy.
The concept that booing, with no prior context, is deemed as racist is stupid all together which is the whole premise of this thread/discussion.

Had Bud actually made some sort of statement or act prior to the Pies game relating to his background, then there would be grounds for the booing being deemed racist.

Him feeling like it was doesn’t make it so though. Which is what Eddie said on 360.

It’s seriously that simple.

FWIW, I really don't know why Buddy was getting booed. My first assumption is retaliation for the Goodes incident ten years ago, but I could be totally wrong about that. I would have to ask the individuals doing the booing to actually know

I’ve never considered indigenous people to be of a different race. Race is a pseudo-scientific concept invented to justify the disempowerment, disenfranchisement, dispossession, humiliation etc, etc of peoples around the globe. It’s as ridiculous as using skin colour, left handedness or headwear to justify the above.

Ah yes, I remember those heady days. What a disaster that was.
Such a disaster they came knocking on the door begging for the swans to promote the North home game so they could get a crowd they predicted would have been less than 5k. As a right royal heck you and heck off, the swans came up with the marketing idea to give them the crowd they wanted and turn it into a completely hostile environment. It's actually pretty bloody hilarious how stupid North looked at the time.

FWIW, I really don't know why Buddy was getting booed. My first assumption is retaliation for the Goodes incident ten years ago, but I could be totally wrong about that. I would have to ask the individuals doing the booing to actually know
I’ve said it before, have you ever seen Shaun Burgoyne get booed?

Bud is a powerful footballer, with an extraordinary record, and has an arrogant strut about himself. He plays the game on the edge, and even went at Nick Daicos at the start of the game.

All these combined got the natives up in arms, and spontaneous boos got going on Sunday, it seriously ends there.

Unfortunately though the media this week have fuelled the fire and there is no knowing what’s in store now for this weekend and the rest of the season because of their want to sell papers and create further discussion on something that was initially a non issue.

The concept that booing, with no prior context, is deemed as racist is stupid all together which is the whole premise of this thread/discussion.

Had Bud actually made some sort of statement or act prior to the Pies game relating to his background, then there would be grounds for the booing being deemed racist.

Him feeling like it was doesn’t make it so though. Which is what Eddie said on 360.

I'm not saying it is racist or otherwise.

I'm simply saying the person on the receiving end is entitled to his own interpretation of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Such a disaster they came knocking on the door begging for the swans to promote the North home game so they could get a crowd they predicted would have been less than 5k. As a right royal * you and * off, the swans came up with the marketing idea to give them the crowd they wanted and turn it into a completely hostile environment. It's actually pretty bloody hilarious how stupid North looked at the time.
They looked desperate more than anything else. I was in the footy "industry" up here for that period and, as such, I had a good view of what was going on.

I distinctly recall being at a North game at the SCG one day (in my work capacity) and, as you say, the crowd wouldn't have been much over 5k (I think the game was against Port from memory). It was embarrassing.

I'm simply saying the person on the receiving end is entitled to his own interpretation of it.
Of course, that’s a given, but the point remains though that people’s interpretations shouldn’t determine whether it’s racist, the intent itself should. Who bloody knows why the booing happened. I shared my theory a couple of posts back.

I agree. My point though, is that that alone does not mean that something is racist. Things can be misinterpreted.

Buddy is a champ and I seriously hope we don't go down the Goodesy path for the next few months :(

No prior context?

Franklin is an indigenous player: he knows all of the prior context including:

- Adam Goodes (the last megastar Indigenous player) and everything that happened there, including his booing saga beginning with a Collingwood supporter and peaking when Collingwood's President compared him to King Kong

- Collingwood as a club having a major review into racism at the club and being found guilty; the Heritier O'Brien saga and everything that entailed.

- Nicky Winmar and his stand against racism: one of Australian sports most powerful moments, and again, Collingwood supporterd

So Franklin shows up to a game, and is randomly being booed 6 minutes in, for reasons unknown. He hasnt done anything in this match, he is in the twilight of his career...

I would say there is context there. Collingwood are up to their knees is 'context' and at least the club is smart enough to see that.

I don't know what Franklin thinks, but i do understand why both Sydney and Collingwood the club want this shut down. If Franklin ends up in the same place as Goodes... sheesh... it is going to look pretty ugly

Watch what he dies to Nick Daicos in the first quarter, that’s where the boos came from

No prior context?

Franklin is an indigenous player: he knows all of the prior context including:

- Adam Goodes (the last megastar Indigenous player) and everything that happened there, including his booing saga beginning with a Collingwood supporter and peaking when Collingwood's President compared him to King Kong

- Collingwood as a club having a major review into racism at the club and being found guilty; the Heritier O'Brien saga and everything that entailed.

- Nicky Winmar and his stand against racism: one of Australian sports most powerful moments, and again, Collingwood supporterd

So Franklin shows up to a game, and is randomly being booed 6 minutes in, for reasons unknown. He hasnt done anything in this match, he is in the twilight of his career...

I would say there is context there. Collingwood are up to their knees is 'context' and at least the club is smart enough to see that.

I don't know what Franklin thinks, but i do understand why both Sydney and Collingwood the club want this shut down. If Franklin ends up in the same place as Goodes... sheesh... it is going to look pretty ugly
He targeted Nick, our members targeted him, nothing racist about it. He was booed for being a sniping behind play bully.

Watch what he dies to Nick Daicos in the first quarter, that’s where the boos came from

I'm confused by this.

Watching the initial incident with Daicos here, it is pretty clear that the players involved were Ryan Clarke, Logan McDonald, Isaac Heeney and then after, Tom Papley. They initiated the situation with Daicos, at least.

Was there another incident involving Daicos and Franklin? Did the Collingwood supporters boo Clarke? Or Heeney (another star, easy to recognise?) Or Papley?

Seems an unhappy coincidence that the player Collingwood fans targetted most prominently was the indigenous one. I can totally see why the club would want to get as far away from that as possible

Buddy probably took it as a compliment, IMO that’s probably what it was, don’t think it was racial whatsoever, I honestly didn’t understand stand it though and was quite surprised by it, he’s been a bit of thug over the years but he certainly isn’t on his Pat molone there.

As for the apology what a hecking joke, if they want to apologise on our behalf maybe we should stop making them the marquee club of the AFL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back