Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

Having seen aboriginal communities at war with each other, over a spearing, I’ll choose wether or not I find what goodes did offensive or not. Isn’t that how it works?
We get it, you're trying to prove a point with back and forth sarcasm to inflate an argument against the system trying to tell you what to do. And it worked. By the end it wasn't even about Adam Goodes, but it was at his expense.

Why can't you just realise it got to the point where intention and interpretation became irrelevant? The simple fact is there was a racist faction to the booing, whether your reasoning was or not is irrelevant. The bloke was clearly distressed by it. Thats it, at that point it should end there, instead we get a chorus of smart arses coming out and inflating the situation further by trying to prove a point to others with sarcasm and strawman arguments, all at the expense of the mental health of an individual. How can you be bothered? I get if it was over a subject that was directly impacting your life like lockdowns or something, but the fact that it's over an individual running after a footy is just bewildering.

If there's the chance that you're joining into booing of which the intent of some people is racist, you're indirectly supporting them.

With Goodes we heard all sorts of intent excuses, there were some people who think they were booing him for the sliding, some because he was a gun, some had no idea why and were just being sheep, some because the AFL told them not to. But be assured there were a heap booing him because they weren't happy that he won Australian of the year, that he pointed out the racist girl, that he was a spokesperson for indigenous players, that he did an indigenous dance on the field..... Every single one of those latter reasons are racist, Goodes knew it was, was distressed by it and asked for it to stop. The minute all you other BS excuse interpretation people continued on with it at that point, regardless of your intent, you were directly supporting the racist ideology of those doing it for the wrong reasons by joining in on and compounding their vitriol.
What part of what I said don’t you agree with exactly?

I only ask because you keep dragging Goodes into this like it’s some precedent to what happened on Sunday and we’ve established it’s the same reasons with absolutely no proof.

It’s easy to sit behind a keyboard and point a finger at the people there Sunday and say they were all being racist with absolutely no shred of evidence to support it.

What a time to be alive. People are really saying Collingwood fans went to the game intent on Booing Lance Franklin because of his skin colour?

Meanwhile there has been no reports of Pies fans booing any other indigenous player since how long (did pies even Boo Goodes?)

The clubs literally released a statement far out.

What part of what I said don’t you agree with exactly?

I only ask because you keep dragging Goodes into this like it’s some precedent to what happened on Sunday and we’ve established it’s the same reasons with absolutely no proof.

It’s easy to sit behind a keyboard and point a finger at the people there Sunday and say they were all being racist with absolutely no shred of evidence to support it.
Because it can easily turn into a Goodes situation in which whether or not your reasoning is racist is IRRELEVANT. What's relevant is the mental health of the individuals it is being directed at. Your back and forth strawman arguments makes the situation worse. People ringing up radio stations etc trying to prove a point makes it worse. It also increases the booing.

If the booing continues for the likes of buddy and JHF, it doesn't matter if people bring up racism or whether they argue the latter, the problem is you're going to have people going at each other and being sarcastic about what they can and can't do, It inflates the situation. It might not be a big deal right now but it could potentially get to the point where JHF or Buddy start to feel oppressed by it. You all need to get over it. As much as what your reasoning might not be racist, there probably were a handful of patriotic bogans sitting in the crowd sadistically joining in absolutely loving the fact that the player copping it was indigenous. They exist.

Indigenous people have grown up with it, so when the vitriol of 70000 people is directed at them, regardless of intent, it's not beyond reason for them to feel like some are getting a kick out of them being indigenous. Whether it's 100% of the crowd or 0.1% of the crowd, doesn't change the fact that they feel vilified. Thats what Eddie Betts was implying.

Last edited:
It’s funny that when we had Eddie and Bucks, what they would say can be argued and you guys would stick the boot in.

Now that Fly/Moore have said something, that is gospel, you’re using it to push your argument?

I think people need to try and discuss this topic with their Collingwood hatred glasses off.
I actually find it pretty funny that you have a lot to say about all this, yet refuse to hear what the current club leaders have to say.
By the way, bucks in his role as a commentator this week has been very thoughtful and sensible but it would appear you haven’t heard that either.

Last edited:
Whilst I don't believe the booing of Buddy is racially motivated, I want people to consider how Buddy might feel for a minute. Just because a public statement might say he doesn't care this doesn't mean that he doesn't hurt. Buddy has had a lifetime of racial abuse. I played sport at the highest level and was a similar build to Buddy, 6 ft 5 and 105kg (trust me my build is not similar to his now in my old age). I was racially taunted everytime I took a sports field. I was called c***, halfa (half Aboriginal, half white), racca (for racoon), gorilla, ape, creamy, half caste, was asked if I was out here looking for my mother and so on. Most things I could not write on here. Not once did I ever respond, not one word back, not one action back. I didn't let them get the better of me. I never complained to umpires, officials or authorities. I wish I did have the courage to stand up like I would today. We just don't know what trauma or past abuse booing may trigger in Buddy. I copped the abuse but by God it hurt. It tore you apart. Never mistake silence with acceptance when it comes to racial abuse. Celebrate Buddy for the champion he is and just be aware of what your actions may be triggering.

Whilst I don't believe the booing of Buddy is racially motivated, I want people to consider how Buddy might feel for a minute. Just because a public statement might say he doesn't care this doesn't mean that he doesn't hurt. Buddy has had a lifetime of racial abuse. I played sport at the highest level and was a similar build to Buddy, 6 ft 5 and 105kg (trust me my build is not similar to his now in my old age). I was racially taunted everytime I took a sports field. I was called c***, halfa (half Aboriginal, half white), racca (for racoon), gorilla, ape, creamy, half caste, was asked if I was out here looking for my mother and so on. Most things I could not write on here. Not once did I ever respond, not one word back, not one action back. I didn't let them get the better of me. I never complained to umpires, officials or authorities. I wish I did have the courage to stand up like I would today. We just don't know what trauma or past abuse booing may trigger in Buddy. I copped the abuse but by God it hurt. It tore you apart. Never mistake silence with acceptance when it comes to racial abuse. Celebrate Buddy for the champion he is and just be aware of what your actions may be triggering.
Jesus, I am sorry you copped that s**t from a bunch of knuckle draggers. One can only hope its improved now.

Unfortunately people trying to prove their intent not being racist does not stop the booing possibly bringing up past trauma. The point goes flying over their head every single time.

Hopefully with your comment people can understand why the booing of buddy might be reported as more important than others. The apology by Collingwood addresses exactly this. Unfortunately for some it has to be spelt out.

I think people don't realise JHF is also indigenous. If you put 2 and 2 together you can see why clubs, coaches and the AFL have taken the front foot with these ones.

Last edited:
Jesus, I am sorry you copped that s**t from a bunch of knuckle draggers. One can only hope its improved now.

Here's the rub though...those knuckle draggers are probably also captains of industry and leaders across law firms, accounting firms etc... I'm of European background and played Ammos for many many years. I played against the Old Xavs, Scotch, Uni Blues and Blacks of the world (private school & higher education) and almost all of them to a tee would go down the path of racial abuse. I played ruck so it was easy for me back in my day to throw around an elbow or a knee and hurt the blokes who mouthed off. I'm guessing it's not as bad these days.

Fantastic post and I’m genuinely sorry for what you were put through. I can only hope enough people read this and heed its message.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because it can easily turn into a Goodes situation in which whether or not your reasoning is racist is IRRELEVANT. What's relevant is the mental health of the individuals it is being directed at. Your back and forth strawman arguments makes the situation worse. People ringing up radio stations etc trying to prove a point makes it worse. It also increases the booing.

If the booing continues for the likes of buddy and JHF, it doesn't matter if people bring up racism or whether they argue the latter, the problem is you're going to have people going at each other and being sarcastic about what they can and can't do, It inflates the situation. It might not be a big deal right now but it could potentially get to the point where JHF or Buddy start to feel oppressed by it. You all need to get over it. As much as what your reasoning might not be racist, there probably were a handful of patriotic bogans sitting in the crowd sadistically joining in absolutely loving the fact that the player copping it was indigenous. They exist.

Indigenous people have grown up with it, so when the vitriol of 70000 people is directed at them, regardless of intent, it's not beyond reason for them to feel like some are getting a kick out of them being indigenous. Whether it's 100% of the crowd or 0.1% of the crowd, doesn't change the fact that they feel vilified. Thats what Eddie Betts was implying.
So is it a racial thing or a mental health thing? Why are you only bringing up Adam Goodes when plenty of other players have been booed since then.

If only you felt this passionately about Tom Papley and Jack Ginnivan getting booed. Does their mental health not matter as much?

I actually find it pretty funny that you have a lot to say about all this, yet refuse to hear what the current club leaders have to say.
By the way, bucks in his role as a commentator this week has been very thoughtful and sensible but it would appear you haven’t heard that either.
I’ve heard what they’ve said and whilst I agree with their stance and sentiment, I also believe more strongly in people being allowed to boo if they choose to because booing does not equate to being a racist.

What I find even more funny is that you seem to believe that Craig McRae, Darcy Moore and Craig Kelly’s words must hold more worth and merit than people on here around social issues. Not once have I said anything racist.. if anything, I’m the one who doesn’t have a first name such as Craig or a last name such as Moore or Kelly and have grown up in a country that has directed more racism towards me than they would’ve ever had to face in their whole lives combined.

The fact you are treating their words as gospel whilst mocking mine has absolutely nothing to do with them/me, it’s just to suit your argument and point of view.

I’ve heard what they’ve said and whilst I agree with their stance and sentiment, I also believe more strongly in people being allowed to boo if they choose to because booing does not equate to being a racist.

What I find even more funny is that you seem to believe that Craig McRae, Darcy Moore and Craig Kelly’s words must hold more worth and merit than people on here around social issues. Not once have I said anything racist.. if anything, I’m the one who doesn’t have a first name such as Craig or a last name such as Moore or Kelly and have grown up in a country that has directed more racism towards me than they would’ve ever had to face in their whole lives combined.

The fact you are treating their words as gospel whilst mocking mine has absolutely nothing to do with them/me, it’s just to suit your argument and point of view.
Did you even take the trouble to read South of the Yarra's post? put your cue in the rack time mate.

Case closed. should be the last word. sorry you copped that s**t Mate. genuinely.

Did you even take the trouble to read South of the Yarra's post? put your cue in the rack time mate.
I did, and it’s disgusting to see there are people out there that have done that. That is racist behaviour that we should be all standing up and saying no to.

Buddy getting booed the same game as Papley getting booed, in a team that had supporters boo Ginnivan isn’t behaviour that people are wanting to directly link to racist. What I’m hearing here is that Indigenous players shouldn’t be booed because they will interpret it as racist. So those same people are then choosing to treat indigenous players differently to a Papley or Ginnivan.

Again, is the argument about booing regards player mental health, or racism?

So is it a racial thing or a mental health thing? Why are you only bringing up Adam Goodes when plenty of other players have been booed since then.

If only you felt this passionately about Tom Papley and Jack Ginnivan getting booed. Does their mental health not matter as much?
Why are you assuming those who support buddy, Goodes etc aren't against the treatment of daicos, papley, Ginni etc? You're allowed to disagree with all.

Approving one incident doesn't disapprove the other. They're not mutually exclusive.

There's something called context. An indigenous individual has a very high chance of being affected by booing because of past trauma whilst others not so much. Comes down to probability, which is why the AFL has taken the front foot with the buddy and JHF situation. Doesn't mean other like Ginni or papley won't feel trauma either, at the end of the day you don't know what anyone has been through. Hence why all of the incidents you speak of have been addressed, they havnt been ignored like you are presuming. There are people already trying to stop Richmond going at Stuart.

If you put things into context, ginni or papley probably don't feel as villified as an indigenous individual would. But if there was any whisper of them genuinely being affected by it, then yeah it falls into the same context and people need to stop.

The moral of the story is, be sensible. No one's stopping anyone from booing football incidents. It's trying to stop the vitriolic targeting of a player for an extended period of time. Thats the issue here.

Why are you assuming those who support buddy, Goodes etc aren't against the treatment of daicos, papley, Ginni etc? You're allowed to disagree with all.

Approving one incident doesn't disapprove the other. They're not mutually exclusive.

There's something called context. An indigenous individual has a very high chance of being affected by booing because of past trauma whilst others not so much. Comes down to probability, which is why the AFL has taken the front foot with the buddy and JHF situation. Doesn't mean other like Ginni or papley won't feel trauma either, at the end of the day you don't know what anyone has been through. Hence why all of the incidents you speak of have been addressed, they havnt been ignored like you are presuming. There are people already trying to stop Richmond going at Stuart.

If you put things into context, ginni or papley probably don't feel as villified as an indigenous individual would. But if there was any whisper of them genuinely being affected by it, then yeah it falls into the same context and people need to stop.

The moral of the story is, be sensible. No one's stopping anyone from booing football incidents. It's trying to stop the vitriolic targeting of a player for an extended period of time. Thats the issue here.
Agreed.

I did, and it’s disgusting to see there are people out there that have done that. That is racist behaviour that we should be all standing up and saying no to.

Buddy getting booed the same game as Papley getting booed, in a team that had supporters boo Ginnivan isn’t behaviour that people are wanting to directly link to racist. What I’m hearing here is that Indigenous players shouldn’t be booed because they will interpret it as racist. So those same people are then choosing to treat indigenous players differently to a Papley or Ginnivan.

Again, is the argument about booing regards player mental health, or racism?
Where racism falls into it is this - you boo an indigenous player for non racist reasoning, the player then feels villified due to past trauma (beyond your control), the incident is addressed and told to stop, but then the booing continues regardless of intent. Any continued booing after that point is when it becomes racism because people are failing to take into consideration that players indigenous upbringing and what they have gone through. It's a complete disregard for that person's well being and cultural struggles. For the booers their desire to boo and not be old what to do takes precedence over the person's well being.

That is the context of what Eddie Betts was talking about last night when saying if the player feels it is racist, then it's racist. That was the crux of what Goodes went through. If you know an indigenous player is struggling with booing because they are easily triggered by their past, regardless of your intent, anything targetted at them beyond that point is racist. The problem is people struggle to grasp that context, then they're bewildered and argumentative when called racist.

With Goodes it was a bit more direct because it would intensify every time he addressed cultural issues (Aus of year, pointing out girl, war cry)

Last edited:

Yes- I do think that the attitude of your club leaders holds more weight than mine or yours because it’s their workplace, not ours, and they are reacting to events that occurred at their place of work. They didn’t like the booing-simple. And they didn’t mention race and neither have I. Pretty sure I haven’t really mocked your words.
And if I have been on the receiving end of unpleasant behaviour ( whatever the circumstances), and understand how lousy it is, why would I want to inflict something like that on anyone else?

Last edited:

Its one thing to boo a player that's been dirty or that player has left your club, particularly if that player's new club is a hated rival or the crowd is reacting to the umpires and take it out on the player that benefited but does any of that apply to Buddy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back