Collingwood apologise for booing

Remove this Banner Ad

Hmm….so a coach is asked ‘What did you think about the boo’ing of Buddy’

Whats he supposed to say, ‘Who’s Buddy?’.😆😆

Man, Id hate to see you if he really cut loose and pointed the finger….you’d go blue! 😆😆😆

Nah…I refer back to my earlier post….you’re distinctly paranoid.

Me and the rest of society but not you it seems.

Whole Collingwood hierarchy captain coach, media, 90% of the social boards all got the inference.
But nah not you. You know he was just saying why boo bud for no reason.

I’ve said it before, have you ever seen Shaun Burgoyne get booed?

Bud is a powerful footballer, with an extraordinary record, and has an arrogant strut about himself. He plays the game on the edge, and even went at Nick Daicos at the start of the game.

All these combined got the natives up in arms, and spontaneous boos got going on Sunday, it seriously ends there.

Unfortunately though the media this week have fuelled the fire and there is no knowing what’s in store now for this weekend and the rest of the season because of their want to sell papers and create further discussion on something that was initially a non issue.
Your coach and captain/ your club regarded it as more than a ‘non issue’. Perhaps worth listening to them?

Last edited:
Goodes didn't deserve to be boo'd every week for so long especially when he came out and said how much it hurt him.
However please don't try to rewrite history. He was a dirty dog and played on the extreme edge of acceptable.

But it didn’t hurt!!!!

In his own words he said “bring it on”

Here are his comments after his pretend spearing of Carlton supporters, I couldn’t find video because it seems a lot of his incidents have been deleted… he probably has employed a PR firm to clean everything up for him.

"There was nothing untoward to the Carlton supporters. It was actually something for them to stand up and go, 'yep we see you, and we acknowledge you - bring it on.'"

"My teammates loved it, the Carlton players loved it.

"For everybody else, take a chill pill, understand what I was doing, and if there were Carlton supporters offended by what I was doing, I'm sorry, but it was a war cry.

"Is this the lesson we want to teach our children that when we don't understand something we get angry and we put our back up against the wall (and say) 'Oh that’s offensive?' No. If it's something we don't understand, let's have a conversation."

If Goodes got offended from me booing or angry he should have just taken a chill pill … he needs to understand that I’m not a racist and I was booing him because the way he played the game… he needs to understand me!!!!!
Just like I never booed Cyril, Burgoyne , Winmar, the macadams, the krakauers etc etc .,,,

Telling Carton supporters not to be offended after he ran at them and pretended to spear them … seriously !!! But but but it was a War Cry….

Last edited:

Damo just summed up journalism in a nutshell last night. "I've got no evidence to back this up, but my mind did go to that being a racist component to the booeing"

I see booing as quite a natural response when an opposition player is lining up for goal. Nothing more but as a means to try to throw them off and affect concentration. It is aimless and directed at any opposition player in that context. Beyond that, the when they take a mark or get the ball during the general field of play is cringeworthy.

Now go back through my posts here and find where I've said multiple times that that was not okay and then print it out, wad it up into a little ball, maybe soak it in a bit of olive oil if you like, and then shelve it
So it’s not ok because you said so!!!!! Because the way it makes you feel when you hear it??? It’s offensive to you?
You don’t like booing … that’s good for you.
I like it …. A game that was built on passion … take away the passion and then see what’s left.

So it’s not ok because you said so!!!!! Because the way it makes you feel when you hear it??? It’s offensive to you?
You don’t like booing … that’s good for you.
No, Ginni and Collingwood didn't like it, so like a normal well adjusted person, my opinion is that continuing to harass someone who has said "hey that's kinda not cool" is kinda not cool.

You can be passionate without being a campaigner*

Edit I said "you can" but your posts indicate maybe you can't, so we'll go with "most people can be passionate without being campaigners"

No, Ginni and Collingwood didn't like it, so like a normal well adjusted person, my opinion is that continuing to harass someone who has said "hey that's kinda not cool" is kinda not cool.

You can be passionate without being a campaigner*

Edit I said "you can" but your posts indicate maybe you can't, so we'll go with "most people can be passionate without being campaigners"

I respect your opinion 👍.

I’ll continue to boo when I feet like it.

I’ve never considered indigenous people to be of a different race. Race is a pseudo-scientific concept invented to justify the disempowerment, disenfranchisement, dispossession, humiliation etc, etc of peoples around the globe. It’s as ridiculous as using skin colour, left handedness or headwear to justify the above.
Unfortunately many Australians have treated Aboriginals as a sub race and sub human and still do. Hence why there has been all the justification you mention.

Glad that Sydney's next game is at home. Buddy will get a big celebration with his first touch and then hopefully this whole saga blows over. The media need to stop trying to push this stuff, let it go and it'll be over.
And North after that so even if there is booing you won't hear it or it will be drowned out. Blues in Sydney the following week could be interesting to see what direction their ferals want to go (I suspect I know).

FWIW, I really don't know why Buddy was getting booed. My first assumption is retaliation for the Goodes incident ten years ago, but I could be totally wrong about that. I would have to ask the individuals doing the booing to actually know

1. He's a champion that has put pies to the sword throughout his career. Like most champs get booed.

2. Nick Daicos scuffle he allegedly fouled Murphy in the throat with an elbow and a section of the crowd who saw it booed him for rest of game.

3. When he lined up for goal the loudest of his boos for the night were heard trying to put him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm confused by this.

Watching the initial incident with Daicos here, it is pretty clear that the players involved were Ryan Clarke, Logan McDonald, Isaac Heeney and then after, Tom Papley. They initiated the situation with Daicos, at least.

Was there another incident involving Daicos and Franklin? Did the Collingwood supporters boo Clarke? Or Heeney (another star, easy to recognise?) Or Papley?

Seems an unhappy coincidence that the player Collingwood fans targetted most prominently was the indigenous one. I can totally see why the club would want to get as far away from that as possible

Papley was booed the worst of the lot, Heeney next.

Ladams and Buddy got some boos but not anything out of the ordinary. Papley copped it all night and the loudest but he's white so...

Yes. As a promotion when another team was trying to weasel their way into Sydney in order to survive, when that club was one of the most vocal in trying to fold our club. A few points on this. The Boo a Roo campaign was not prominently targeting one player. It was two decades ago, times change. Might surprise you but using the n-word at one time was not seen as taboo, it is now. We learn, we change our behaviours and we move on, hopefully leaving society better for it.
Didn't learn that much. Sydney crowds booed Lindsay Thomas after the Goodes debacle. Goodes said heck all about it too even tho LT was vocal in his support for Goodes. Probably one of the reasons some indigenous people used to refer to him by different terms I won't repeat on here.

Might surprise you but using the n-word at one time was not seen as taboo,

Might surprise you how many people I've belted for calling me one.

No prior context?

Franklin is an indigenous player: he knows all of the prior context including:

- Adam Goodes (the last megastar Indigenous player) and everything that happened there, including his booing saga beginning with a Collingwood supporter and peaking when Collingwood's President compared him to King Kong

- Collingwood as a club having a major review into racism at the club and being found guilty; the Heritier O'Brien saga and everything that entailed.

- Nicky Winmar and his stand against racism: one of Australian sports most powerful moments, and again, Collingwood supporterd

So Franklin shows up to a game, and is randomly being booed 6 minutes in, for reasons unknown. He hasnt done anything in this match, he is in the twilight of his career...

I would say there is context there. Collingwood are up to their knees is 'context' and at least the club is smart enough to see that.

I don't know what Franklin thinks, but i do understand why both Sydney and Collingwood the club want this shut down. If Franklin ends up in the same place as Goodes... sheesh... it is going to look pretty ugly
Open the other eye and take the blinkers off mate.

I guess it’s my fault Winmar copped what he did at VIC Park even though I was never there. Or Goodes whenever that happened despite me not being there either.

All Collingwood supporters must be racists just because…

What a silly post you’ve made.

Your coach and captain/ your club regarded it as more than a ‘non issue’. Perhaps worth listening to them?
It’s funny that when we had Eddie and Bucks, what they would say can be argued and you guys would stick the boot in.

Now that Fly/Moore have said something, that is gospel, you’re using it to push your argument?

I think people need to try and discuss this topic with their Collingwood hatred glasses off.

But he decided what he did towards a group of Carlton supporters wasn’t offensive … and that’s ok? Because he said so!!!!!
I respect Goodes right to inflame the situation …. But he inflames the situation.

I hated the way Goodes played the game and it offended me. It was against the spirit of the game, he chose to do a War Cry … I choose to boooo.
How many other players did you feel that way about?

How many of them did you boo?

A guy on the field hears 30,000 people yelling at him every time he goes near the ball. How's he supposed to tell who's being a racist s**t heel and who's doing it because they've only got one brain cell?

Just don't do it, it's not rocket surgery

So the Swans supporters don't boo?

I’ve said it before, have you ever seen Shaun Burgoyne get booed?

Bud is a powerful footballer, with an extraordinary record, and has an arrogant strut about himself. He plays the game on the edge, and even went at Nick Daicos at the start of the game.

All these combined got the natives up in arms, and spontaneous boos got going on Sunday, it seriously ends there.

Unfortunately though the media this week have fuelled the fire and there is no knowing what’s in store now for this weekend and the rest of the season because of their want to sell papers and create further discussion on something that was initially a non issue.
The last 3 paragraphs of this post should be shown at the top of every page in this thread. It really was that simple however a bunch of people with certain agendas have done everything they can to turn this into an ongoing shitshow.

What actually happened in this game and the reasons for it are going to get lost in that shitshow.

Those at Collingwood who issued the apology have a lot to answer for though. Very selfish act that was only to protect their own reputations and was always more likely to result in more boos directed towards Franklin in the future. They did not have his interest in mind at all when making that statement.

Of course, that’s a given, but the point remains though that people’s interpretations shouldn’t determine whether it’s racist, the intent itself should. Who bloody knows why the booing happened. I shared my theory a couple of posts back.
If there's the chance that you're joining into booing of which the intent of some people is racist, you're indirectly supporting them.

With Goodes we heard all sorts of intent excuses, there were some people who think they were booing him for the sliding, some because he was a gun, some had no idea why and were just being sheep, some because the AFL told them not to. But be assured there were a heap booing him because they weren't happy that he won Australian of the year, that he pointed out the racist girl, that he was a spokesperson for indigenous players, that he did an indigenous dance on the field..... Every single one of those latter reasons are racist, Goodes knew it was, was distressed by it and asked for it to stop. The minute all you other BS excuse interpretation people continued on with it at that point, regardless of your intent, you were directly supporting the racist ideology of those doing it for the wrong reasons by joining in on and compounding their vitriol.

Last edited:
If it’s just racist why don’t pies fans boo all indigenous players?

This is the first time I’ve heard of then issue this year.

Regardless no idea why people do it. Absolute waste of energy.

Boo an ex player, someone who gave a cheap shot or a goal attempt but outside of that get a life!

Do you know the difference between a ceremony spear and a war spear?
You’ve tried to lecture me before… I can guarantee you most aboriginal communities do not use war ceremonies for the purpose Goodes did…

Not lecturing, educating. I can guarantee you that you have no idea of Goodes intention or the historical culture of Aboriginal people.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back