1st Ashes Test England v Australia June 16-20 1930hrs @ Edgbaston

Who will win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

My favourite part of this article was when Baz said "we played all the cricket." Because THAT right there destroys the whole bazball argument.

If you were beaten by a better side, then OK, bazball didn't fire today, but if you were defeated by a completely passive opponent, it's YOUR FAULT. It's bazball's fault.

Fact is that is just copium on the part of the Kiwi brit-saboteur. Because Australia played less cricket than England... true... but that is because we did less fielding.

Former England batter Boycott wrote in the Telegraph: “England have got carried away with Bazball and seem to think entertaining is more important than winning.

“But England supporters want one thing more than anything else – to win the Ashes. Scoring fast runs, whacking lots of fours and sixes is lovely. It is great. But only if England do not lose sight of the big prize which is to beat Australia.

“If at the end of the series Australia go home with the Ashes we will feel sick, regardless of how much we have been entertained.

“They are in danger of letting hubris be their downfall or, quoting William Shakespeare in Hamlet, being hoist by one’s own petard. They are going to defeat themselves. It would be sad if playing exciting cricket for a year is going to their heads.

Geoffrey Boycott - the voice of reason. Surely if he can see it, there must be others who support England, who can as well. That said, I hope they keep doing what they're doing for at least another 4 Tests, because it'll hopefully mean the Ashes are staying down under for another 4 years (they ain't beating us here).

I slightly digress, but along with Bill Lawry he was the most boring test batsmen i have ever seen, and selfish
I remember a banner at the MCG in the late 70's, which read, "WATCHING BOYCOTT IS LIKE GOING TO A FUNERAL." 🤣

I remember a banner at the MCG in the late 70's, which read, "WATCHING BOYCOTT IS LIKE GOING TO A FUNERAL." 🤣
My favourite banner was after the Mark Waugh Matthew Elliot collision, that said "If you run and don't look, you're a bloody Elliot."

My favourite banner was after the Mark Waugh Matthew Elliot collision, that said "If you run and don't look, you're a bloody Elliot."
There was one here in the 80s when there was a bit of a story about Hooksey going to Victoria and it was 'Keep Vic Bait Off Our Hookes".

There was one here in the 80s when there was a bit of a story about Hooksey going to Victoria and it was 'Keep Vic Bait Off Our Hookes".
What a tragic story Hooksey was. 23 matches weren't nearly enough to show what he could do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hard to believe that next January marks 20 years since his passing.
Yep, I hope the guy who killed him gets sent a friendly reminder or two.

Its an option and that's why greenie is so valuable and gives you heaps of options. I thought they underbowled him this test. He was ducking it back in with his 2nd spell when he got broad first innings. Bit of reverse. Also he can intimidate the lower order with his bouncer.. which we did not use for most of the test.

I would still use Starc to open with the new nut yes the duke can sometimes be different with its shine...6-10 starts to move etc but I still think you need to have that option up front with starc who has a remarkable ability to get a pole in his first couple of overs. Use him in short spells and tell him to bowl fast....2 bouncers every over and look at the stumps....that's how I would use him. Not long spells
I think this is one of the big advantages of Green.
You can play Starc and try to utilise his brilliance, but if he’s having a down day Green can cover his overs

Pat's batting saved his arse.
Boycott was a good commentator.
Ricky Brereton was a great cricketer.

Hand out participation ribbons as well. 😛

The earlier kids understand winning and losing the better.
I think you've hit the nail on the head as to what the English are wanting

Back