Autopsy AFL 2023 First Semi Final (Week 2) - Demons v Blues Fri Sept 15th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 67 33.2%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 73 36.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 17 8.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching replay and my god Max Gawn is wildly overrated.

Hardly a coincidence that the last time the Dees played well in September it was their other ruckman that was the star.

Gawn shrinks in September like no other captain. Touched a goal on the line. Missed multiple easy set shots. Largely ineffective around the ground. Barely broke even with Pittonet.

Time for a new captain, Melbourne can’t persist with this Gawn-led finals losing choke culture..

He looked cooked. Maybe the toe issue.

Hindsight it was a mistake not to play Grundy. He would've helped Gawn and he wouldn't have been any worse than McDonald.

2 arch rivals with a long history.
2 of the biggest clubs in the country.
Collingwood v Carlton would be a dream GF.
Why not?

To be going on about it (first time in 40 years Carlton, Collingwood in the prelim) on the final siren of Carlton’s biggest win in about 25 years is a bit much.

Just focus on the game Brian, it was pretty amazing.

Watching replay and my god Max Gawn is wildly overrated.

Hardly a coincidence that the last time the Dees played well in September it was their other ruckman that was the star.

Gawn shrinks in September like no other captain. Touched a goal on the line. Missed multiple easy set shots. Largely ineffective around the ground. Barely broke even with Pittonet.

Time for a new captain, Melbourne can’t persist with this Gawn-led finals losing choke culture..
27 disposals 31 hitouts in a best on ground display last week not enough, that was a finals game aswell if you can’t remember. I’m not taking anyone coming at Gawn. Gawn definitely wasn’t the problem, can’t blame a ruckman when the team kicked 17 points in total, he’s always been a s**t kick.

27 disposals 31 hitouts in a best on ground display last week not enough, that was a finals game aswell if you can’t remember. I’m not taking anyone coming at Gawn. Gawn definitely wasn’t the problem, can’t blame a ruckman when the team kicked 17 points in total, he’s always been a s**t kick.
Grundy would have been a better ruck option than Gawn last night. Cost you the game....along with Viney, Oliver closing their eyes and kicking and hoping...

Yeah and they point it out and they get crucified by the media and opposition fans for years over it. 4 people are paid to officiate the game, it shouldn’t matter what side you’re on as to whether you get sent off. If it was Petracca with blood he’d be sent off straight away.
If getting fleeting negative attention from the media is more important than winning the game then Melbourne never had a chance. Just doesn’t make sense

As I said, this already has a track record for pettiness and one of the biggest thugs in the game. Honour and sportsmanship don’t really add up as considerations surely

Gawn the king of meaningless stats.

Crown him now.

That one that Gawn touched was about as conclusive as it gets.
Compare that to the Carlton one that was ruled touched, where the ARC just looked at a single, still frame where you couldn't tell where the ball, hand and goal lines were situated, but he was happy to call that touched without a 2nd thought (or a 2nd video frame).
Was very odd how quickly they wanted to dismiss that without rolling through the frames.
Would have been reviewing the footage in the break while the ads were playing and found that frame to be decisive. Come back and show the decisive shot and move on.

Viney clears Weitering in the last minute and a bit and Melbourne win. Smith was out and Pickett was inside 50. Would have been a two on one, Joe the Goose goal, game over. It is cruel, but the whole game turned on that tired, right foot kick. From there, Carlton were clean and sealed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

McKay plays last night you don’t win. Those two quick De Koning goals were critical and do not happen with McKay there.
That’s just wrong - TDK a has spent time forward all year - difference last night is he took marks and kicked straight - growing absolutely.

But he’s not a CHF.

McKay is vital to our structure - outlet down the line marks, he does enormous work in & under - set up our first 2 goals last week.

He also frees up Charlie - much needed playing against great defences like Melbourne.

People saying we are better off without McKay are simply toeing the cheap media headline - without any real knowledge.

Bad kicking is bad football, but they were still better than Carlton.
They lost , we won , …next!

Games across last 100 years littered with team who lost & “ played better”.

If we win the next two games - we win the premiership.

That’s all that matters.

LOL! so I tipped Melbourne to win, and was incorrect by 3 points.
How about the game before when I correctly tipped the Giants to beat Carlton?
Let's see who's the fool next week when the Lions should comfortably win.
Congratulations on tipping the team who needed to win to play finals, against the team who had nothing to play for. The vast majority of Blues supporters tipped GWS in that game too.

Just like most of us think we won't get within 5-6 goals of Brisbane next week. But we've at least given ourselves the smallest sniff by actually making the prelim.

You're not some guru for tipping GWS in round 24 and Lions next week, so the fool will still be you.

That’s the consensus on the Demons board to an extent as well, starting to get a bit over Oliver and his kicking. Great extractor but his kicking is unacceptable for modern football.
Like Max, the easy fix is to get them to handball much much more, and leave the kicking to enter i50 to other players more adept.

In off season he'll be sharpening up his handballing skills.

Viney clears Weitering in the last minute and a bit and Melbourne win. Smith was out and Pickett was inside 50. Would have been a two on one, Joe the Goose goal, game over. It is cruel, but the whole game turned on that tired, right foot kick. From there, Carlton were clean and sealed it.
That kick from weiters was so elite.

That’s just wrong - TDK a has spent time forward all year - difference last night is he took marks and kicked straight - growing absolutely.

But he’s not a CHF.

McKay is vital to our structure - outlet down the line marks, he does enormous work in & under - set up our first 2 goals last week.

He also frees up Charlie - much needed playing against great defences like Melbourne.

People saying we are better off without McKay are simply toeing the cheap media headline - without any real knowledge.

All hypothetical really.

Back