Autopsy AFL 2023 First Qualifying Final - Pies v Demons Thurs Sept 7th 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 18 7.1%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 86 34.0%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 92 36.4%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 20 7.9%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 19 7.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 2.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

having a dysfunctional forward line, which Grundy / Gawn was supposed to fix, cost you the game.

and being behind when the siren went.

Correct having to put Pettracca into the middle as Brayshaw got knocked out obviously didn't help'

Brutal reality is that we went after a ruckman that wasn’t a forward and tried to make him a forward. We were cringing out for one last year and we failed in our recruiting. We also waited until 3/4 of the year to go by before putting Petty forward, he kicked 6 one week. Why wasn’t he playing earlier? Because we had to save face with the Grundy deal.

Petracca and Oliver had bad nights as well. You can’t be off when it matters. The positive is we have another shot, so need to make the most of it. We have however ourselves to blame. Certainly hasn’t helped losing Petty and Melksham.

Oh well.

You pointed to I5O differential- I gave you history that it’s also been irrelevant in the past in our wins over Melb.
So it had everything to do with your post.
to a poster who said Collingwood were easily better

to a poster who said Collingwood were easily better
they were but only really through melbourne being so abysmal. how many times did oliver roost a ball high into the forward 50 right to where moore and murphy were able to easily float across and spoil any marking attempt? incredibly stupid football.

Youre about to De Glowy out in straight sets two years in a row
why so confident? You scraped over the line against as a team with no forward line, 1 player down and had to rely on us losing the game with missed shots instead of you guys winning it. You'll lose the prelim convincingly if you dish that up.

Grundy was moved on to ease salary cap pressure, not because he wasn’t valued as a player. He was much loved at Collingwood.

On Ginnivan you’ve clearly fallen for media generated hyperbole and dont know anything about his development this year. “No other way to win the footy” … watch his games this season (and last) and get a clue.
watch his games? he's played about half the games because he couldn't make the team and then half the time he does play he's the sub. Did you not even watch the game last night. Tried to draw high frees about 3 times despite only playing 10 minutes. embarassing stuff.

Saw absolutely nothing to be concerned about from either side.

Melbourne forward line is bottom 4 material.

Outside of Darcy Moore there's nothing going on at Collingwood.

I bet we end up playing Port in the GF.
You really need to watch more of Collingwood.

IQ has been our best defender in H2 of 2023. Not Moore.

Steele Sidebottom almost makes every other winger in the competition look 40. What a freak.

Pies are in the box seat to get #16 and it’s a thing of beauty.

Last edited:
The pies fans cheering a bloke for knocking out a player with a known extensive concussion history was a class-less act. pathetic really. Even though I personally dont believe he deserves a suspension, going out of their way to cheer him was distasteful.
Almost as pathetic as the Melbourne players celebrating their goal whilst their gun is still being attended to by the medicos on the ground. Pathetic and distasteful. No wonder your club has no ticker.

I think this 'football incident' and 'football act' stuff is just bullshit anyway. Surely, a bump is a football act too, and when they're executed poorly, or have got someone high, plenty of players have been rubbed out for it.

On Pixel 4a using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agree, this was no more evident when Mansell got rubbed out for a high shoulder hit on Aish, which was the correct call.
Maynard’s intent will not provide an out, nor his brace on impact. From the MRO’s perspective in my view, they’ll assess on duty of care and outcome of action.
I don't think he intended to knock Bradshaw out, but he applied pressure to the kicker and got it horribly wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Except Finals according to great Coaches, depend on defense, more than offense.

Yeah but you still need to score, lol.

You gotta admit that these two forward lines:

D. Cameron, McStay, B. Hill, Elliot, Mihocek, McCreery and Ginnivan

and

T. McDonald, J. Smith, Van Rooyen, Fritsch, Pickett, Neale-Bullen and Chandler

do not inspire a ton of confidence if your teams aren't dominating the midfield, defence or open field possession, to make it easy for the forwards.

You chuck Cameron, Curnow, Walker, Lynch into any of those forward lines, and all of a sudden they become a scary prospect.

Defence wins flags, but you also can't rely on your Back 6 the way you did last night - as a side like Brisbane with a lethal forward line would've won by 10+ goals with that amount of ball in there. Needs to be a balance.

With all that said though, you guys have been my tip all year to win the flag, and at the very least will be in the GF - especially with Daicos returning in 2 weeks time. Can only imagine how unstoppable you'd be though with a dominant key forward like Curnow. Wouldn't even be a contest this year, IMO.

They did this in the Qualifying final last year Pies vs Cats

It's like the umpires decide to officiate the game completely different because its finals.
I’m trying to understand the difference between the Hill tackle on Lever in Q1 v ANB’s tackle on Daicos in Q3 - one results in a goal, the other is a ball up. Strange.

they were but only really through melbourne being so abysmal. how many times did oliver roost a ball high into the forward 50 right to where moore and murphy were able to easily float across and spoil any marking attempt? incredibly stupid football.
Oliver is really not a good kick. For a guy that gets a heap of the ball his ability to kick is very average. He needs to seriously get better or we need far better outside players to move the ball.

It’s a massive issue.

It was a classic hit and run mission by pies. They had all the advantages of an agile fighting force: able to defend well for long periods, with enough counter attack capability to hurt oppo. The q1 blitzkrieg put Dees on the back foot from the start.

The i50 discrepancy plays into Pies hands to a large extent, as they are extremely dangerous from the half back line. Similar in some ways to RFC giving up 1st possession knowing theyll get it back in a miniute or so, then launch forward from half back.

Dees had zero capacity to hold ball in i50. They also displayed several brain fades, procrasination. One thing Pies never do is hesitate. It was a stark diffrrence in one team having crystal clear forward plan, the other uncertain.

Dees game style is designed for 6 30 minute periods, they need that much time to outscore oppo. They are just not dynamic and cutting edge enough to make scoring swings happen quickly against well drilled oppo.

Terrif game imo. Tough and hard, the pressure sorted out the very good from the merely good.

Really surprised by many commenting how good Petracca was. I thought he did nothing in the first half. When the game was getting awa from them, Pickett was everywhere for a 10 minute period in the second quarter.
And as the game wore on, Gawn was easily the best player on the ground and literally forced McRae into subbing out Cameron as he was getting abused.

Also surprising to see Oliver finished with most fantasy points. He had a really poor game. Most of his disposals were ineffectual all night long. Looks a completely different player at the moment.

Really surprised by many commenting how good Petracca was. I thought he did nothing in the first half. When the game was getting awa from them, Pickett was everywhere for a 10 minute period in the second quarter.
And as the game wore on, Gawn was easily the best player on the ground and literally forced McRae into subbing out Cameron as he was getting abused.

Also surprising to see Oliver finished with most fantasy points. He had a really poor game. Most of his disposals were ineffectual all night long. Looks a completely different player at the moment.
Petracca was terrible.

A lot of neutrals weren't really listening when we said Petty was a massive loss. All of a sudden, everyone watches us and is surprised when our forward structure is weak. it's weird. Petty is not only our tallest forward at 197cm he's also a deadeye kick for goal.
Then the ACL to Melksham was adding insult to injury.
We just had a nightmare in front of the goals. We showed that we can beat the pies playing close to our worst.
You need to stop with this regular commentary about Petty like he’s some super forward.

He has played 1 good game in his career up forward.

He is never going to be the answer to your forward line woes.

Back