Autopsy AFL 2023 First Preliminary Final - Pies v GWS Fri Sept 22nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 11 5.0%
  • GWS by a goal or less

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 28.5%
  • GWS by 7 - 20

Votes: 82 37.1%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 36 16.3%
  • GWS by a lot

Votes: 13 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Coll-vs-GWS.png

AFL 2023 PREMIERSHIP SEASON
FIRST PRELIMINARY FINAL
COLLINGWOOD V GREATER WESTERN SYDNEY

FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 22ND 7:50PM EST (MCG)

Live scores on BigFooty during the match.

TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY

CLICK HERE :arrowright: TIP IN BIGFOOTY TIPPING
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place

:arrowright: Best score each round wins a Premium Platinum memberships!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

Teams
MAGPIES

B: N. Murphy, D. Moore, I. Quaynor
HB: B. Maynard, S. Pendlebury, J. Howe
C: S. Sidebottom, J. De Goey, J. Daicos
HF: B. Hill, B. Mihocek, P. Lipinski
F: J. Elliott, D. McStay, W. Hoskin-Elliott
FOL: M. Cox, B. McCreery, J. Crisp

I/C: T. Mitchell, D. Cameron, N. Daicos, O. Markov
EMG: J. Noble, F. Macrae, B. Frampton, J. Ginnivan

IN: N. Daicos
OUT: T. Adams (Injured), J. Ginnivan (Sub)

GIANTS
B: J. Buckley, S. Taylor, C. Idun
HB: L. Ash, H. Himmelberg, L. Whitfield
C: F. Callaghan, T. Green, J. Kelly
HF: T. Bedford, J. Riccardi, B. Daniels
F: D. Lloyd, J. Hogan, T. Greene

FOLL: K. Briggs, C. Ward, S. Coniglio

I/C: I. Cumming, H. Perryman, L. Keeffe, C. Brown
EMG: N. Haynes, R. Angwin, X. O'Halloran, B. Preuss

IN: None
OUT: X. O'Halloran (Sub)

:arrowdown: Links to the Club Board tipping comps :arrowdown:

Open Training Session
Collingwood will hold an Open Training Session on Wednesday morning on Olympic Park Oval.
When: Wednesday 20 September, 9am-11.30am

Captain's Run
When:
Thursday 21 September, 11.30am-12pm

March to the G'
Collingwood will host a fan zone with food, drinks and face painting at the AIA Vitality Centre from 3.30pm on Friday before the game. The March to the G' will arrive at Gate 1 of the MCG at 6.30pm.

Key stats and milestones
Friday night will mark Craig McRae's 50 games as senior coach.

Scott Pendlebury is set to play his 30th AFL Final, moving to seventh on the VFL/AFL finals played list. Pendlebury passes Wayne Schimmelbusch, Bruce Doull and Leigh Matthews who each played 29 finals.

Last edited:
Hardwick's two best apprentices go head to head. Who will win the dimma cup?

6 day break is unfair on GWS.
Do they go straight to Melbourne tonight, have they announced? Be silly to go to Sydney then back to Melbourne
why would they stay in Melbourne for the whole week? It's only an hour from Sydney.

No excuses.
Them the rules.
Just adapt.
And bloody win!

It’s not exactly the rules, it’s the AFL being ****ed with their scheduling, insisting all week 1 Melbourne finals are at the MCG, and pandering to Ch 7.

If they want to give the #1 seed the potential extra day break leading into the GF, then begin the final series with the bottom half of the bracket and play twilight wk 2 and 3 Saturday finals for interstate clubs. From an Integrity point of view, there really wasn’t any excuse considering the pre-finals bye assists scheduling in week 1 of finals. Just another example of circumstances suiting the Melb metro clubs.

Last edited:
GWS have the midfield to deny collingwood the ball and control the game, collingwood will hold up better defensively then port but the game will be similar and the Giants will win. Pies have to find a way to nullify Green and Co if they want to win, can't get that running game going if you don't have the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty excited for this one, because if both teams bring it then it could be a classic.

I keep expecting each new challenge to be a bridge too far for the Giants and yet they keep proving me wrong. Here’s hoping it happens again 🤞

Nothing at all against the Pies either, they’d be worthy winners and deserve to start favourites.

Do they go straight to Melbourne tonight, have they announced? Be silly to go to Sydney then back to Melbourne

AFL and fairness odd thought. The AFL said no 6 day breaks before prelims a few years ago. That is of course unless a team like Collingwood can gain some advantage. This game had to be in the Saturday in the name of integrity.

Basically Collingwood has been handed a 4 goal start.

Team that finishes on top and wins in week one should have the Friday prelim as they have earned it.

If GWS or any other team is upset about it, then they should have won more games throughout the year and finished on top.

The AFL will be torn; expansion club in a GF or big 4 VFL club?

Not convinced by Collingwood from what I saw in week one, but then the extra week might help. Giants have the midfield and scoring power.
this crap that the AFL manufacture games and results is just stupid. I assume that people who say this stuff think that their own club's premierships were legit and that the AFL let the best team win for just that year?

Back