Toast PF = Collingwood 58-57 GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Quicky just to answer your post in the matchday thread I had limited confidence. GWS were the best team in it after the mid point of the season and they seemed bulletproof even with the travel and short turnarounds. The way we matched up also had me shook. For me it was a doomsday scenario for us because there was always going to be anxiety after the 19 and 22 PF’s plus it was always going to be tight. Tight ones are 50/50.

The flip side of that is I feel comfortable entering next week. I’m not sure if it’s this group or at least giving ourselves the opportunity to cash in after the season we’ve had, but I think it’ll be Brisbane in a different style of game to what we’ve seen from these two clubs since basically 02.

I thought they were both dodgy calls. The first one he was in the area when he marked it and kept going. The second one he was already moving back away from the mark when the umpire called stand.
Yep
And Giants got hundreds of warnings when they did it

The GF is scary for me... because of Pies past results. 2018 the most recent was such a heart break and the Lions dual wins back in 2002 and 2003...

I really respect Lions and Carlton's resurgence and therefore I am not as confident going into next week.... it really comes down to who ever turns up and not crap their pants....

Just enjoy the week, it's going to be brilliant. Hopefully it's beautiful weather throughout the week. Go watch the boys train, enjoy the build up, head down to the GF parade on Friday, the week will be fantastic.
First thing is watching the Brownlow on Monday night. We could see the legend grow if Naicos gets up. What a side story that will be during the week if he wins it. The week could get crazy in Melbourne town!!!

You think so? I’m the opposite. Will need a massive turnaround in performance next week, and I’m not sure we have it in us.
This seems particularly pessimistic. We just beat the in-form side in the competition

You think so? I’m the opposite. Will need a massive turnaround in performance next week, and I’m not sure we have it in us.

It can go both ways...

Sydney 2022 1 kick Prelim win and their GF performance

Geelong 2007 1 kick Prelim win and their GF performance

Hoping we do a Geelong 2007 against the Blues 🤞

This seems particularly pessimistic. We just beat the in-form side in the competition
The more I think about that the more I appreciate it. We busted out a huge first 10 minutes. This year we've ended games with storms like that. They held us to one goal, and we sneaked another later in the quarter when Fly slowed us down.

We got outcoached for a big stretch: we kept smacking them at clearances but they'd scoop across the back of the contest to intercept or force turnovers further on, it was very much like playing us.

Fly kept it cool and their 4 goals in the 2nd was actually superb damage control, they had our mids on toast.

Our third was another burst that has gutted heavyweights like Port and Geelong, we got value but the clawed two back despite the storm.

Superior fitness got us home vs a side set up to contest our style. Our coach adjusted quickly every time there was a need or opportunity. Key players fired, guys having dirty nights dug deep to contribute (Mihocek and Lippa were huge in the third), it was a bloody great win.

We don't put many away harshly but we are never out of any game.

:hearts:Jordy
:hearts:IQ
:hearts:Murphy
:hearts:Crisp

That's it for now, more when I have watched replay.

Also, don't think the bye helped us and we should be much better next week.

Hopefully you’re right.

H&A bye we scraped over the line against Adelaide then smashed Gold Coast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Never eat Maccas at 1am. Won't be doing that again....Let my son talk me into celebrating by getting Maccas on the way home. Considering it was past midnight, l thought why not, we're into a GF. Talk about pleasure and pain!!!

Just don’t eat Maccas in general - horrible stuff

Dear Vicky the Pies have certainly got it in them. They will be better next week. As Fly said this has been 2 years in the making. 2 years of planning and training. Will give a good account of themselves no matter who we play.

Floreat Pica

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Brisbane match up well against us, and we are going have to score 80+ to win next week

Agree. Considering the GF gets played during the day, l think we will be able to score a bit more in what should hopefully be dry conditions.
At night, high pressure with the dewy conditions, can make for alot of fumbling and ineffective disposals.
In saying that, it was a brilliant game of footy last night....

We can compete but we are also 0/2 vs Brisbane and for much of the prelim we looked off the boil.
Need a big lift from many players on GF day and a reverting of slow chip boundary to the daring run and center attacking style that we played most the year.
We haven’t played Brisbane at the MCG.

I think people are underestimating how good GWS are.

Should have kept Callum Brown

We won stoppages 44-26 last night and won inside-50’s count too, with 52. That’s a big improvement on our first final and a very good sign that we are getting back to our best.

Fix the slow and indirect ball movement from the first half last night and we are a red hot chance next week.

Go Pies!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hodge was talking on SEN about the hawks just scraping through prelims during their dynasty

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It's all about just getting there and giving yourself an opportunity to win it. Since 2000, we had the opportunity in 2002, 2003, 2010, 2011, 2018 and now we have our shot in 2023. Hasn't been a bad 21st century for us so far, in terms of making GF's, but l want to see another premiership this season... 🙏🙏

- our weakness has been clearance and stoppage. Last night showed that our mids can get the job done when they have to. JDG has always been our most important player and he's ready.

- we play a much more defensive contested style in finals than we have all year. Gives some hope the game won't look like the shootouts against Brisbane.

- if mcstay is out it may mean we have to try to score more from handballing chains and short passes. This could be a good thing , as we look much better when we are taking the game on. We went stagnant in 2Q and looked vulnerable, but as long as we are moving the ball look a chance.

- our resilience is proven. The boys will show up. They'll have to play all the minutes to beat us

GO PIES

Remove this Banner Ad

Back