AFL Grand Final 2023 AFL Grand Final - Carringbush v Brisbane 🏆

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
They finished on top of the ladder, and they were the best team this year unfortunately! I despise and detest the filth, but i have no problems or issues with acknowledging that reality.

That Pies term had to go through the hard yards to win that flag. They lost a grand final in 2018 and lost prelim finals in 2019 and last year.

The road to success is fueled with failure after all. Hopefully our defeat to Brisbane and the filths flag win, will really drive on Vossy and the players next year.

The filth getting to 17 flags before us would be a total and utter disaster!

My cousins husband is a Carlton supporter and we went past there last night after the game.

We were chatting and I told him I would have rather played Brisbane than you in the Grand Final easily. Brisbane are allergic to the G. You guys would have been far less predictable.

They finished on top of the ladder, and they were the best team this year unfortunately! I despise and detest the filth, but i have no problems or issues with acknowledging that reality.

That Pies term had to go through the hard yards to win that flag. They lost a grand final in 2018 and lost prelim finals in 2019 and last year.

The road to success is fueled with failure after all. Hopefully our defeat to Brisbane and the filths flag win, will really drive on Vossy and the players next year.

The filth getting to 17 flags before us would be a total and utter disaster!
Absolutely Irish, we should almost be having a crisis meeting today to plan it all out.

We cannot let our record for most flags won be in jeopardy.

Rayner was also terrible. They played with minimal dare and deserved to lose.

For someone who was often called the biggest draft bust ever for the first few years of his career, this “Rayner is a gun” thing seems to have just appeared suddenly.

My cousins husband is a Carlton supporter and we went past there last night after the game.

We were chatting and I told him I would have rather played Brisbane than you in the Grand Final easily. Brisbane are allergic to the G. You guys would have been far less predictable.
I'm glad that we got a great game at least mate. The last couple of grand finals were very poor spectacles.

Agree with Irish and reckon you were robbed of coach of the year too. For mine Fly was easily the best.
Kingsley is doing a great job but I think he won because of a Giants/Toby crush that swept the media in the last few months.

Brisbane lost it in the precise places they were strong last week. Keidean Coleman was best on last week, setting them up for scores from back half with super precise kicking and intercept marking with the best game he's played; today, he might've got plenty of the ball but was just so, so much less damaging. Oscar McInerney beat both TDK and Pitto last week with Daniher as chopout, kicking 2 goals; today, he was soundly smashed by the big yank and Cameron. Daniher was the dominant tall on the ground last week; today, he was arguably their only hope forward of the ball. Starcevic negated Martin pretty tidily; today, Hill smashed him to the tune of a Norm Smith.

They played their GF against us last week.
IMHO-Brisbane were made to look strong last week because of our amateurish transition inside 50
IMHO-Coleman was gift wapped the ball by our players last week and so had more control over the damage he caused. He was fantastic yesterday, but more from a reactve sense....was reacting to Collingwood's dangerous forays forward
IMHO-Pitto was useless last week. Was seriously a player we carried all game
IMHO-Martin (a) decided to play like a KPF and take screamers, (b) didn't proactively find space for the (poor) I50 transitions and (c) was a victim of players refusing to lower their eyes coming into I50

Not sure we would've beaten Collingwood yesterday but I will NEVER be convinced that we didn't contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to the loss last week at the Gabba

Like a Rolex made in China. I find his smugness condescending, not a fan.

I know what you mean. I find it annoying as well (smiling assassin type).

He's obviously done brilliantly so far. The test will come along when the team is challenged consistently and things can't be fixed by putting on the windscreen wipers and moving forward

Having said that, he'll always point to the scoreboard and the history books. Let's hope and pray it's just 2023

Agree with Irish and reckon you were robbed of coach of the year too. For mine Fly was easily the best.
Kingsley is doing a great job but I think he won because of a Giants/Toby crush that swept the media in the last few months.

Nah. Once Kingsley literally replicated what Fly did last year, combined with coming from 14th halfway through, it was always going to be Kingsley.

IMHO-Brisbane were made to look strong last week because of our amateurish transition inside 50
IMHO-Coleman was gift wapped the ball by our players last week and so had more control over the damage he caused. He was fantastic yesterday, but more from a reactve sense....was reacting to Collingwood's dangerous forays forward
IMHO-Pitto was useless last week. Was seriously a player we carried all game
IMHO-Martin (a) decided to play like a KPF and take screamers, (b) didn't proactively find space for the (poor) I50 transitions and (c) was a victim of players refusing to lower their eyes coming into I50

Not sure we would've beaten Collingwood yesterday but I will NEVER be convinced that we didn't contribute SIGNIFICANTLY to the loss last week at the Gabba
Apart from our ridiculous preference to bomb it into our forwards despite continually being out marked by the best defences in the league, I think our issue was tired legs.
Our 2 way run really dropped off as did our pressure on the ball carrier. Together with the fact Lions (Coleman) hit their targets and speedy transition of the ball back into the forward line, we looked a spent force.
We need our mids to lower their eyes and provide better disposal into our 50m arc, our forwards need to learn how to lead into space (Harry need to work on his timing and stop continually over-running and being worked under the ball), and we need to stop having poor starts to the season. If we can win the majority of our matches in the first half of the season, it will go a long way to setting up a top 4 finish.

It's not rocket science. AFL seasons are a marathon, not a sprint, and flags are rarely snatched. Hawthorn 2008 and Bulldogs 2016 are exceptional. Usually they're won by being better for longer, and allowing percentages and circumstances to bend your way.

Collingwood were the best team all year, 17-6 in the regular season is testament to that, and when you finish top-two, you give yourself a great chance. They were actually unlucky to draw Melbourne for the qualifying final, probably the toughest matchup available, but they were always in the box seat once they prevailed. They (and we) have a significant advantage when winning through to the Grand Final, because there's a 50-50 chance your opponent will be an interstate traveller, regardless of how perfect their own campaign has been, and they all seem to struggle at the MCG. The result yesterday was not particularly surprising, and only Brisbane's efficiency (and Collingwood's relative lack of it) kept the scoreline close.

And to win a flag, you need to keep presenting. Easy to forget that this time last year, Collingwood had played 10 Preliminary Finals in the last 21 seasons, and 5* Grand Finals... for one flag. Obviously Hawthorn and Richmond have gotten better value than that in the last 10 years especially, and hopefully we will too... but consistency of performance will be a challenge.

(*counting 2010 as one result)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EAD, Sidebottom, McCreery & Cox…
Can’t even shake the kids hands you scumbags…
Classless in defeat and classless in victory. It's the Collingwood way mate!

Hopefully our guys will knock them right off their perch next year. The Pies are a good team but they are beatable imo.

What an abysmal year, East Perth and the Blues get done, East Fremantle and The Pies win flags, only the wretched Eagles holding the rest of the competition up comes remotely close to making up for all that, I reckon sinister forces are at work, I really hope one of my teams win a flag before I go to meet Satan, and I bet she's an Eagles supporter.

Could someone please explain the advantage rule for me…
You are at an advantage the higher you finish on the ladder. If the umpire deems you to have finished in the top four and are good enough, he can call "advantage". You then have the opportunity to continue on and finish top two. This is advantageous.

As terrible as it is that pies won…

Suck s**t Lions
A Lions fan came on here commiserating with us last week. Don't worry we'll beat the Pies they said.

The same person had a pop at us on the main board a few days ago. So i decided to call our fork tongued friend out on it.

I told them that's the last time i'll be taking a Brisbane Lions supporters word on anything!:laughv1:

It's not rocket science. AFL seasons are a marathon, not a sprint, and flags are rarely snatched. Hawthorn 2008 and Bulldogs 2016 are exceptional. Usually they're won by being better for longer, and allowing percentages and circumstances to bend your way.

Collingwood were the best team all year, 17-6 in the regular season is testament to that, and when you finish top-two, you give yourself a great chance. They were actually unlucky to draw Melbourne for the qualifying final, probably the toughest matchup available, but they were always in the box seat once they prevailed. They (and we) have a significant advantage when winning through to the Grand Final, because there's a 50-50 chance your opponent will be an interstate traveller, regardless of how perfect their own campaign has been, and they all seem to struggle at the MCG. The result yesterday was not particularly surprising, and only Brisbane's efficiency (and Collingwood's relative lack of it) kept the scoreline close.

And to win a flag, you need to keep presenting. Easy to forget that this time last year, Collingwood had played 10 Preliminary Finals in the last 21 seasons, and 5* Grand Finals... for one flag. Obviously Hawthorn and Richmond have gotten better value than that in the last 10 years especially, and hopefully we will too... but consistency of performance will be a challenge.

(*counting 2010 as one result)
You make it sound like rocket science.

You are at an advantage the higher you finish on the ladder. If the umpire deems you to have finished in the top four and are good enough, he can call "advantage". You then have the opportunity to continue on and finish top two. This is advantageous.

Thank you.

Now I totally understand the rule and how it flows on to the last 1.30 in a GF and you receive a free kick, then hack kick it in the air and the umpire calls advantage play on, where as in the season proper it would be brought back as there is obviously no clear advantage to the side receiving the kick…

Thank you.

Now I totally understand the rule and how it flows on to the last 1.30 in a GF and you receive a free kick, then hack kick it in the air and the umpire calls advantage play on, where as in the season proper it would be brought back as there is obviously no clear advantage to the side receiving the kick…
You're most welcome....ask me about holding the ball any time.....

Thank you.

Collingwood favoured throughout the day. It was terrible viewing but it was obvious.

ill just add - this was mentioned by multiple neutral supporters on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back