List Mgmt. 2023 Trade Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Courtesy of Lore

Last edited by a moderator:
Gallagher did lots of moves but still managed to have a very uneven and confused list IMO. The lack of mids was a real blight on his time. When we lost Dunstan we should have been finding depth mids . 2 years in a row we ran out of ready to go mids when we had injuries. Probably cost Ratts his job. Even this year, it may have cost us a higher ladder position. When Steele was injured our form went south.
Ratten cost Ratten his job. Even with the worst injury list in the League except for WC, Lyon got this list with skinny mids into the eight and kept it there.
Dunstan would not have changed anything.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

A real 6/10 trade period for me. Solid but nothing that should rapidly improve us happened.

Gained two players who are still in the potential stage, with the jury is still out on whether they become consistently good AFL players while losing two players who have similar levels of talent and potential. The In's do fill needs so that's a plus but given the overall make-up on the list, losing high potential players in any position has the potential to hurt us overall. SOS' habit of trading in players he recruited (or tried too in Henry's case) emerged again but we won't know if that's will be an issue for us like it was at Carlton for another few years.

Then in terms of draft picks, didn't come in with an amazing hand and slightly improved it with Gresh's compo pick. Thats a plus. But with this draft being low on mids and the talent available not being very deep according to draft experts, a lot of pressure will be on Toce to find gems. Our draft hand for next year is already weak but that's a problem for 12 months time.

Ginnivan being talked about as first rounder to Hawthorn and we got an end of 1st round for Gresh.

Speaking of small forwards Freo did well out of the Shultz trade - Pick 34 and the Pies future first - so 34 and 18 = Pick 9 minimum.

I think I'd take Pick 9 for Dan Butler

Points aren't pick 9 unless you can use them on an academy or FS though. A late future first seems about right to get a quality contracted player over. Pick 34 this year is pretty much a pick in the 40s or 50s in a better draft.

Shultz is a better more rounded player than Butler, not by heaps but definitely better. If the Pies can turn Ginnivan into a first round pick while taking Schultz, it will be good business.

Ratten cost Ratten his job. Even with the worst injury list in the League except for WC, Lyon got this list with skinny mids into the eight and kept it there.
Dunstan would not have changed anything.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lyon is a better coach than Ratts but not having players available cost him finals and that realistically would have made it much harder to sack him. I think it worked out best for us but not for Ratts.

A real 6/10 trade period for me. Solid but nothing that should rapidly improve us happened.

Gained two players who are still in the potential stage, with the jury is still out on whether they become consistently good AFL players while losing two players who have similar levels of talent and potential. The In's do fill needs so that's a plus but given the overall make-up on the list, losing high potential players in any position has the potential to hurt us overall. SOS' habit of trading in players he recruited (or tried too in Henry's case) emerged again but we won't know if that's will be an issue for us like it was at Carlton for another few years.

Then in terms of draft picks, didn't come in with an amazing hand and slightly improved it with Gresh's compo pick. Thats a plus. But with this draft being low on mids and the talent available not being very deep according to draft experts, a lot of pressure will be on Toce to find gems. Our draft hand for next year is already weak but that's a problem for 12 months time.

I think Dow has less potential but still we've turned a guy who hasn't been able to play more than 52 games in 7 years into a Zac Jones level player who may have another gear to go up with less players around him to take the ball off him.

It's a brave move with a real chance that it could go either way. If Henry can become a gun and Gresham stays injured it will look genius. We've had a tendency to hold on to players too long and at least he's moving I guess.

Why is everyone rating our trade period with a day left and Billings on the table still….

And maybe Shiel
Because giving Billings away for zero return and paying for Shiel ($'s or picks) could only be a downgrade on a fairly lack-lustre trade period so far.

Why is everyone rating our trade period with a day left and Billings on the table still….

And maybe Shiel

I reckon both of those are probably a huge negative to be honest. That's more likely to drag it backwards. If we give away Billings and pay him to play for someone else and pick up Shiel who looks about as exciting as getting Hanners in again. He'll be lucky to play next year and then we'll be paying him $1 million for the privilege. Can't see any reason to look at Shiel now that we aren't clearing Essendon cap space.

Because giving Billings away for zero return and paying for Shiel ($'s or picks) could only be a downgrade on a fairly lack-lustre trade period so far.

I reckon both of those are probably a huge negative to be honest. That's more likely to drag it backwards. If we give away Billings and pay him to play for someone else and pick up Shiel who looks about as exciting as getting Hanners in again. He'll be lucky to play next year and then we'll be paying him $1 million for the privilege. Can't see any reason to look at Shiel now that we aren't clearing Essendon cap space.
Or we get a second round pick for Billings.

And don’t get Shiel.

🤷‍♂️

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And don’t get Shiel.

🤷‍♂️

Not that excited get more out of this draft. Unless it's really early 2nd I'd rather keep Billo. Shiel is a mistake.

And don’t get Shiel.

🤷‍♂️
Don’t understand why we have any interest in Shiel now that the Gresh trade has gone through

He is cooked and 31 years old
Give Owens the midfield minutes

And maybe Shiel
Because Billings is not worth much and the other is pretty much cooked who struggles to get on the park , simples i would have thought

I think that is tough. You only really know how a trade period went with hindsight but if you are assessing now you have to ask the question "what was possible?".

Gresham had to go. Tick. Upgraded draft position. Tick. Brought in two young low first round draft picks with potential. Tick.

Effectively we have gained 4 under 24s, three of which are first rounders and we have lost one underperforming small forward.

Given what was available and our trading hand - I'd give it 8 out of 10. And I still can't think of what else they could have done.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back