Toast Welcome to Freo Jeremy Sharp - SSP Selection 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I saw of Sharp at the Suns, I was worried he'd be just a good athlete with poor-average judgement at best.

But the sample he's put together so far this season has been one of a player who's really got the decisive and clean involvements to be a clutch player when the moments arrive.
Good call, in times where coaches get blamed for everything, perhaps the coaching group deserve some credit for how he’s playing & a clear defined role that works for him.

Good call, in times where coaches get blamed for everything, perhaps the coaching group deserve some credit for how he’s playing & a clear defined role that works for him.

I think he just suits what we need from a winger tbh.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Henry ends up a better footballer but he wouldn’t have been at his best if we continued to try playing him in the role Sharp is doing, whereas Sharp’s attributes are almost like he was designed specifically to play that role in Freo’s system.

I think he just suits what we need from a winger tbh.

Wouldn’t be surprised if Henry ends up a better footballer but he wouldn’t have been at his best if we continued to try playing him in the role Sharp is doing, whereas Sharp’s attributes are almost like he was designed specifically to play that role in Freo’s system.
Jeremy had 502 metres gained yesterday. And that was in a tight rugged game.

To be perfectly honest, I think his disposal and decision making is ok at best but it’s masked by the fact his main role is to run and kick 50m.

The thing that’s surprised me most is just how damn quick he is. His speed over 30-40m is actually nuts. Another example of Dew having favourites and putting players on the outer when he shouldn’t (Flanders)

To be perfectly honest, I think his disposal and decision making is ok at best but it’s masked by the fact his main role is to run and kick 50m.

The thing that’s surprised me most is just how damn quick he is. His speed over 30-40m is actually nuts. Another example of Dew having favourites and putting players on the outer when he shouldn’t (Flanders)
Can't say I've ever seen sharp prior to him joining, but so far his disposals are not gulden like, they been pretty good. Especially yesterday few kicks and handpasses in tight that was to advantage and helped us escape off their back half

Can't say I've ever seen sharp prior to him joining, but so far his disposals are not gulden like, they been pretty good. Especially yesterday few kicks and handpasses in tight that was to advantage and helped us escape off their back half
Towards the end of this season we will be realizing his true value.

In the lead up to trade season, someone on these boards was really pumping up Sharp’s tyres, saying he was going to be a great get for us, etc.

The thing I don’t get is where the hell is that person now? Surely the last few weeks calls for some serious “I told you so”, quoting old posts and projecting some serious smug.

In the lead up to trade season, someone on these boards was really pumping up Sharp’s tyres, saying he was going to be a great get for us, etc.

The thing I don’t get is where the hell is that person now? Surely the last few weeks calls for some serious “I told you so”, quoting old posts and projecting some serious smug.
Look I'm not saying I'm the poster you're referring to (and there were defo others hyping up Sharp for the record), but I think specifically the Henry vs Sharp footywire.com comparisons is my intellectual property.

If it is me...eh, you get some right, you get some wrong. I've done posts saying Sturt isn't what some posters were hyping him up to be and that take looks alright now (hopefully it doesn't soon - we can use what he offered for a purple patch over the course of a season). Conversely, I thought based on past patella tendon injuries to other players it'd take a while for Walker to be back (and specifically back close to his best), and so far I am glad to report I got that one wrong. Credit where credit's due - the club did well and he clearly was diligent with his rehab.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love that look when he gets it 70m out and goes 'oh hold on, this bloke is slow and I'm a chance here'. Feints outside, flicks back on the right, puts the jets on and has a ping from fifty

I had him in our best 22 before we had even picked him up in that b22 thread

So I'll claim it a bit for ya 😂

Pretty sure I was big on him in the trade threads too but cbf going to look

He had a couple games like this at the Suns however Dew and his 'What are wingers?' game plan wasted his talents..

He has consistently showed up in 4 games now to the point where opposition teams are going to start to curb him..

I don't think he's even got going yet. He clearly needed consistent game time at the level to show his wares. If we COULD snag Bolton, then we've got some serious wheels and a very damaging potential of attacking options on are hands. The luxury of having those 3 first round picks is going to be interesting, because all sorts of doors could open. How exciting

The scouting report obviously knew he could run all day, but the speed component is a real surprise, unless i missed that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He is literally exactly what we were hoping he would be, which is amazing.

Why the * do Gold Coast not play these guys. We honestly should be looking at other players not getting a game there
I remember a player from a year ago or so, Davies maybe? Didn’t seem to play much? I thought he looked promising. A small or medium forward but I’ve not seen him much. I wanted to watch him again, but haven’t seen him. Maybe an academy player? There’s got to be some that could be shaken loose!

Alex Davies was unlucky, at the time he was considered a first round pick, maybe top ten, but Gold Coast were allowed to add him straight to their rookie list before the draft.

A club like Freo would have pressure to play a guy taken in the first round, but nobody notices a rookie listed player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back