Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Some real delusion in this thread.

Ryder is a contracted player with 2 years to run it is nothing like the crameri situation. The clause will NOT happen.

There are 2 options:

Ryder stays; or
Essendon get a very favourable deal.

Good luck meeting essendon's value of him.

Ollie wines? Pick 4 +......

Ryder is a contracted player with 2 years to run it is nothing like the crameri situation. The clause will NOT happen.

There are 2 options:

Ryder stays; or

yep and this post is at the peak of delusional

This will open a can of worms for all players and all clubs - It's not isolated to essendon.
No it won't - this clause is only used by exception. Something pretty serious has to happen for it to come into effect. And in this situation something very serious has occurred.

Don't make it out like you guys are doing this for the good of the AFL. Its just a club scrambling to keep its players.

If he leaves nobody will blame him...its purely the clubs fault.

There are 2 options:

Ryder stays; or

Its not 100% it will happen but there is a serious chance it will happen. How can you be so sure it won't be invoked?

There are 2 options:

Ryder stays; or

Bombers don't have a great deal of luck with things aren't going to to happen.... will be shocked to be sitting here if it does no doubt

His management haven't explored the the legal options? They are not fielding offers from other clubs who have also explored the legal options and are confident enough to make serious offers? Brisbane and Port both have access to legal advice that would give them a degree of confidence that Paddy is a serious possibly to leave the Bombers.

Last edited:

For the sake of the competition I hope the Ryder case doesn't end up in court. No-one wins when the lawyers get involved. But I don't really understand how you can be so confident that the clause has no basis? You'd need to be a lawyer AND have seen the contract, surely. If you're just basing your opinion on what Essendon/Little says then it's probably worth reflecting on how often they've been truthful throughout this saga.

I look at it as Essendon doing the AFL and its clubs a favour - This could happen to any club.

Depends on whether you see the clause as a good thing or a bad thing. I don't see why a player should lose the ability to decide how to pursue their career if their club fails in their duty of care to the extent that it breaches their contract.

The reason ess fans are so sure is because of if the clause was tried it would certainly instigate legal action which would take some time. Ess would not simply accept it.

Hence as much as rival
Clubs think he will be easy to poach, he won't.

Thus that is why I believe he will stay or we will get a very strong deal.

The reason ess fans are so sure is because of if the clause was tried it would certainly instigate legal action which would take some time. Ess would not simply accept it.

Hence as much as rival

So after everything your club has put the players and their families through, you are now going to sue them if they dont want to play for you? What a bunch of lucky guys

Hence as much as rival

Everything that goes against you ends up in court. Good luck if Heppell wants a hair cut and the club don't.

Inside Football writer (don't know who) was saying on SEN the asking price for Ryder from Ess is a high first rounder and established player, which is scaring off a few clubs. Didn't mention the ooga booga clause until Dr Turf brought it up

I think clubs would be nuts to rely on that, and it's no coincidence general chatter has stopped about that, outside of football fan forums and SEN presenters. I tend to think that the minute it became a multi club process the clause went out the window. You can't be playing hardball on a clause like that when there's every danger the player and Ess will just come to terms with someone who'll take him from under your nose.

At the end of the day though, Connors achieved exactly what he wanted. A vigorous, public, inflationary debate about Paddy Ryder moving on, which will earn him a very nice fee whether he stays or goes

Essendon fans... Seriously... Let it go...

He will be at Port next year. Essendon will not get a favourable deal.

Accept it please.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Inside Football writer (don't know who) was saying on SEN the asking price for Ryder from Ess is a high first rounder and established player, which is scaring off a few clubs. Didn't mention the ooga booga clause until Dr Turf brought it up

I think clubs would be nuts to rely on that, and it's no coincidence general chatter has stopped about that, outside of football fan forums and SEN presenters. I tend to think that the minute it became a multi club process the clause went out the window. You can't be playing hardball on a clause like that when there's every danger the player and Ess will just come to terms with someone who'll take him from under your nose.

At the end of the day though, Connors achieved exactly what he wanted. A vigorous, public, inflationary debate about Paddy Ryder moving on, which will earn him a very nice fee whether he stays or goes

1) Do you think there is any chance he is at the club next year? %?

2) If you were a player would you be in the Connors stable?

1) Do you think there is any chance he is at the club next year? %?

2) If you were a player would you be in the Connors stable?
1) yeah I honestly think it's 50/50 at this point
2) not sure, it's too hard to assess without knowing everything. Getting a phat contract is only a small part of the job

I dont understand this post. Top 10 pick is fine. Established player means an already contracted player. We are complaining that Ryder as a contracted player should attract high compensation, then you want a contracted player from another club - You can't have it both ways.

We are talking about the best Ruck/Forward in the competition, If we didn't get a top 10 pick and an established player we lose.

We probably lose anyway we construct a deal.

We are talking about the best Ruck/Forward in the competition, If we didn't get a top 10 pick and an established player we lose.

We probably lose anyway we construct a deal.

No top 3 in your B&F, no AA squad noms, 3 coaches votes in 2014.

Most posters over rate their players.

Who's a better Ruck/Forward?

There are much better ruckmen and much better forwards.

McEvoy was the best ruck/backmen at the Saints. Would take the tap and then park the bus in the backline picking off in coming kicks. He is playing two's at the minute.

You are talking like he is a top 20 player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back