Traded Patrick Ryder traded to Port for picks 17 and 37

Remove this Banner Ad

Already been detailed and adhered to by Essendon after the Ziggy Switkowski investigation / report. See below comments:

They included ''rapid diversification into exotic supplements'', an increased number of injections, use of off-site injection rooms, the emergence of ''unfamiliar suppliers'' and the marginalisation of traditional medical staff.

It combined ''to create a disturbing picture of a pharmacologically experimental environment never adequately controlled or challenged or documented within the club''.

Very doubtful that Essendon will get true value for Ryder.

You must have missed the part of the Switkowski report where he stated:

As well, performance enhancing and image enhancing drugs, their delivery processes, and legitimacy for elite sportspeople, fall well outside my expertise. The Club has invited Dr. Andrew Garnham to advise on this issue.

There are further issues regarding this report, primarily who was he working for in producing the report? We were supposed to have requested ASADA and the AFL to investigate but this has been denied under oath in the Federal Court.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you will not get Ryder for your second rounder.

Honestly if you were Ryder himself why would you choose Brisbane over port. Does he want to play in grand finals or for a struggling club. Make it happen port.

You must have missed the part of the Switkowski report where he stated:

As well, performance enhancing and image enhancing drugs, their delivery processes, and legitimacy for elite sportspeople, fall well outside my expertise. The Club has invited Dr. Andrew Garnham to advise on this issue.

There are further issues regarding this report, primarily who was he working for in producing the report? We were supposed to have requested ASADA and the AFL to investigate but this has been denied under oath in the Federal Court.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but you will not get Ryder for your second rounder.
Ryder and his manager obviously feel they would have a very likely case to get out of the contract early on the clause grounds. Otherwise they know none of these clubs would give up what the EFC would ask for in a standard contracted player trade.

How are Port favourites if he is up in brisbane right now with Swanny, Warren and Leppa. That must surely put brisbane infront if he and his wife both went through the club and are having dinner with them

Ryder is also good friends with Monfries (and Monfries has rung him telling him all about Port)

Honestly if you were Ryder himself why would you choose Brisbane over port. Does he want to play in grand finals or for a struggling club. Make it happen port.

Two years ago Port were an absolute basketcase both on and off the field. Things change very quickly in footy. Worth remembering is all.

Two years ago Port were an absolute basketcase both on and off the field. Things change very quickly in footy. Worth remembering is all.
Doesn't mean we could replicate what Port has done to this day. We are still fragile and one bad trade away from screwing all the good work we have done to this point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Without the get out clause surely port don't have the currency to pull off a trade for somebody of Ryders value.
The get out clause is key. Even with a big offer from Brisbane why would Essendon do it unless the heat is put to them. The rival clubs/manager don't have to go all the way to court with the get out but they have to show it's viable enough that along with a decent offer it's in Essendon's best interest to trade instead of opening the can of worms.

Port would surely offer their first round pick. They are too close to success not to take a risk on a guy who would make them a 2-3 goal better team (I would think).

Doesn't mean we could replicate what Port has done to this day. We are still fragile and one bad trade away from screwing all the good work we have done to this point.
Young talls can go from looking like future stars to duds from one year to the next. And Brisbane need to keep building depth of flankers But:
Rockliff = Boak (Pretty even)
Rich = Hartlett (I'm a big Rich fan, hope he comes back strong)
Redden = Ebert (I rate Redden very highly, clearance and tackling machine)
Zorko = Gray (advantage Port on this one)
Hanley = Polec (I'm taking Hanley here)
Mayes, Aish, Taylor - Wingard, Wines (Obviously the Port duo are special, but nothing wrong with the Brisbane trio)

There's a lot about that Brisbane midfield, especially if it stays healthy for a good period that spells danger for other teams and is reminiscent of the way Port seemingly went from battlers to one of the best midfields in the competition overnight.

If Ryder is keen on success he'd choose Port. But I don't think you'd be too pessimistic about Brisbane.

Young talls can go from looking like future stars to duds from one year to the next. And Brisbane need to keep building depth of flankers But:
Rockliff = Boak (Pretty even)
Rich = Hartlett (I'm a big Rich fan, hope he comes back strong)
Redden = Ebert (I rate Redden very highly, clearance and tackling machine)
Zorko = Gray (advantage Port on this one)
Hanley = Polec (I'm taking Hanley here)
Mayes, Aish, Taylor - Wingard, Wines (Obviously the Port duo are special, but nothing wrong with the Brisbane trio)

There's a lot about that Brisbane midfield, especially if it stays healthy for a good period that spells danger for other teams and is reminiscent of the way Port seemingly went from battlers to one of the best midfields in the competition overnight.

If Ryder is keen on success he'd choose Port. But I don't think you'd be too pessimistic about Brisbane.
Who is our weshtoff and Schultz, maybe freeman and close but they have at least 4 years till they get to start playing a-b grade football consistently

Last I checked, the lions have $1.6 million in the cap. We can afford both Ryder and Beams. Also I highly doubt Beams or any player would want to be traded to Essendon.

Do you have unlimited draft picks for trading ?

You are discussing two contracted players.

see i don't see essendon even though they said they would doing this.
The judgement could go either way and as people say the doors might open then, might not too, plus things may/may not come out that people don't want out.
Second part is a vigorous court case wont help essendon as in paddy will be in and out of court not knowing where his future is, possibly won't be playing for essendon or anyone else, meaning you have a player on your books your paying good money for and one of the best ruckman doing nothing and no compensation in a trade to fill the position, look how long its taken essendon to get to court (middleton) and then a judgement come out could be 4-5 months at least before there's an answer, can you afford to have him on the sidelines that long, possibly might not play the season if you put him through that.
This scenario is allot different than a trade and clubs holding ground and not allowing unders to be paid and pushing them into the draft, a fair few more tight corners to navigate

i absolutely think this is a vale threat on both sides and no one wants or are willing to go down this line, it will be a loss/loss for all involved

My guess is that at some stage the AFL will want this clause to be tested in a court/tribunal - Certain the AFL will want to find out how strong the clause is in reality - This clause potentially opens up a can of worms - Will add that if a contracted player wants to break his contract that he should be paid the equivalent amount at his new club - So player X is on 500K with 2 years left on his contract - Breaks contract - Gets a 4 year deal - First two years as per his current contract.

No he simply has to want to leave the club. His manager is a notorious for playing dirty pool and doing whatever it takes.

Your club is in a really crap situation, if anyone pushes hard enough against you the whole house could come down. Your best defence is to do absolutely everything you can to keep your players happy and not wanting to go.

If the case was fought and lost it would be a free for all. If the legal precedent was set, every club in the league would be throwing huge dollars at your best players. There would not be any horse trading, every player could walk instantly with no fuss or fight and you would receive no compensation whatsoever.

It's not just my argument, multiple sources are reporting the same deal dynamic.

This will open a can of worms for all players and all clubs - It's not isolated to essendon.

Either way it's a bad outcome for the Bombers. Even if they go to court and win, they still alienate Ryder, probably some of the players, the general public, and spend yet more money on lawyers.

I look at it as Essendon doing the AFL and its clubs a favour - This could happen to any club.

Ryder is worth a top 10 pick and an established player.

I dont understand this post. Top 10 pick is fine. Established player means an already contracted player. We are complaining that Ryder as a contracted player should attract high compensation, then you want a contracted player from another club - You can't have it both ways.

I actually saw for the first time a pic of Ryder and his family. Never seen any pics of his family and yet it happened in the non-footy stronghold of Brisabane. Weird ! Apparently Gavin Wanganeen organised Ryder's visit to Power.

Who is our weshtoff and Schultz, maybe freeman and close but they have at least 4 years till they get to start playing a-b grade football consistently
Isn't Westoff and Schultz it's Jacko Homsch and Carlile you are looking for. Everything evolves from defence. Pretty well anyone can kick goals if you can get down there and keep it there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back