2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm thinking goodes will retire and sydney will use that to show Reid he will have more of a role to keep him.

With lrt and okeefe leaving too if he left they'd be light on for tallish forwards not named buddy and tippet if he was allowed to leave.

Of course the other option is swans get buddy or Frawley maybe freeing him up to leave.

I do agree that Swann does seem quietly confident, but I am keeping in mind that his last couple of gigs were at big clubs who could pull in big fish due to name recognition and that this is his first silly season with us. He's a smart operator, no doubt, but there's still plenty he'd have to learn about the QLD footy landscape.

Siding with the group thoughts on Ryder, second rounder or he can go to Port. I'm almost looking forward to trade time which is an odd feeling.

I think there is also an element of Swann wanting to project an image of confidence and assuredness, part of his bold new approach and the way he wants us to be viewed. Also helps when you have the whip hand which we seem to this year. Agree PTizzle that trade time should be a bit more enjoyable this year.

Does a Brownlow push him into A grade territory? probably not...
Perhaps it shows he is a little underrated, he had a consistent year, but he may have benefited from not having to many others taking votes from him. I don't think he is in the top 10 midfielder in the comp, whether or not he is an A grade is probably debatable. At 29 I don't think we would look at him at that age regardless.

Swann-
"But none of us have gone down that path. Until he commits to where he wants to go, you can't get too caught up in it."

I think Swann is actually trying to ensure Paddy does actually select a club rather than letting Essendon get the best deal from the handful of interested parties.

The whole article has Swann angling for a decision to be made

Robbo now echoing Damo that GWS are in the box seat. Connors certainly has all the clubs toey and unsure.

Trying to make sure the contract is as juicy as a perfectly BBQ'd steak.

One aspect we haven't really considered is how much of an obligation Ryder feels to Essendon. Or more likely to the individuals he's leaving behind, particularly the players who presumably he sees as victims like himself.

So if Swann is already flagging that there are limits to how much we're prepared to trade, like not considering our first pick in the deal, then that might turn Ryder off.

Which is fine, frankly. I wouldn't blame Ryder for wanting to see Essendon get decent compensation for him, and equally I wouldn't blame the club for only being interested in him at a bargain price.

But it's yet another reason why he might be better off going to Port Adelaide or GWS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm getting to the point where I want him to come to the Lions for the purposes of showing that we can bring a big name. Not even for his football services.
I'm feeling a bit this way too. Like many I'm not sure he is needed and would be disappointed if his signing sees us lose Luey. But if we get overlooked again by someone who flags us as the preferred destination initially that is not a great look for our club. It kinda says to the afl community that we cant recruit players despite strong motivations (family ties) and more money.

seriously * gws..they always have to come in the last minute and use their young stars because they want out. They have about 8 tall players on their list yet they still want paddy? we are in desperate need of another tall ruck/forward!

seriously * gws..they always have to come in the last minute and use their young stars because they want out. They have about 8 tall players on their list yet they still want paddy? we are in desperate need of another tall ruck/forward!

GWS can use a good 26 KP/ruck as much as any team out there. You guys got Hombsch out of there cheap.

Having a hard time finding a spare tear to shed. ;)

I'm getting to the point where I want him to come to the Lions for the purposes of showing that we can bring a big name. Not even for his football services.

My 12yo son will spend the $10 he has in his pocket at the shops, not because he wants anything in particular, but because the idea of going home empty handed disturbs him.

I think that's how we got into the Fevola situation.

Not sure if a top 4 club's desperate need comes into GWS's ( or our) consideration

You guys are approaching this from a position of strength, having an established, successful team. If you can't manage to recruit Ryder you can hardly blame GWS. Or us, for that matter.

For what it's worth, part of me hopes you do get him. I love watching Port Adelaide play at the moment (not a particularly popular opinion on this board, though) and Ryder would certainly boost your chances of a flag in 2015.

For what it's worth, part of me hopes you do get him. I love watching Port Adelaide play at the moment (not a particularly popular opinion on this board, though) and Ryder would certainly boost your chances of a flag in 2015.

A minor point but fwiw, despite a vocal minority, I reckon the majority of us are quite enamoured with Port's resurgence. I have nothing but admiration for the way they have turned their fortunes around, and the effect they are having on football in general.

I think the lions list will be scary once they get the games under Mayes and aish (don't you let the crows steal them) who's going to replace browny's spot?

A minor point but fwiw, despite a vocal minority, I reckon the majority of us are quite enamoured with Port's resurgence. I have nothing but admiration for the way they have turned their fortunes around, and the effect they are having on football in general.
Indeed. There for the grace of god go us.

I can be spiritual when I want.:oops:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back