Frawley to Join Hawks. (Pick 3 to the Dees)

Remove this Banner Ad

He should have been classed as restricted fa front loading shouldn't be a disadvantage.
Or at least clarify it a year or two out and not just tell them 'oh get stuffed'

Will be interesting to see what Frawley's contract is worth at the Hawks.

Good get for them in their quest for a 3 peat.

B: Stratton, Lake, Gibson

HB: Birchall, Frawley, Hodge

Lake: takes the number 1 key forward
Frawley: takes the number 2 key forward
Gibson: takes the third tall -medium forward allowing us more drive and rebound off half-back

Winning! :D

I have no issue with Frawley nominating and signing with Hawthorn. It's no surprise that the clubs at the top of the ladder have been smart enough to acquire players they need to ensure prolonged success. Good on them for adapting to the current rules of the AFL.

I have no issue with it either (or the basic idea of free agency). Where my issue comes in with Frawley is the nature of what's happened.

Frawley's 4-year deal would have been signed in 2010 or 2011 - around or just after his All Australian year. His value would have been high.
Melbourne have paid his contract forward early because of a large number of draftees and/or depth players.

Free agency has come in in 2012, after Frawley's deal has been signed and he has been paid forward.
The terms of Restricted Free Agents:
RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS

Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club.

For example, a player who is contracted after his seventh year for one, two, three, four or five years will be eligible for restricted free agency when next out of contract having completed either eight, nine, 10, 11 or 12 seasons respectively.

A top 25 per cent player is eligible for unrestricted free agency when next out of contract, provided a player can never be an unrestricted free agent until completing at least 10 years’ service at one club.

For example, a player who signs a one-year contract after his eighth season is not eligible for unrestricted free agency until he has completed at least 10 years’ service.

Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft. The tabled offer includes only football payments and Additional Service Agreements (ASA) amounts.
Source: http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency
This is also how the rules were listed in 2013, before the Frawley determination. Source: https://web.archive.org/web/2013101...l.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency

The relevant quote here is: "Players who are in the top 25 per cent of salaries at their club (that is, in the club’s top nine-10 paid players) are eligible for restricted free agency the first time they are out of contract, if they have served at least eight years with the club."

At no point in the rule does it specifically say whether it is in the eligible year or whether it is the total value of the contract.

Yet the AFL just goes and says, after the dealing and moves have already been made by Melbourne, "tough s**t".

This "competition" is a farce and I genuinely wish there was a way for me to enjoy Melbourne and only Melbourne without giving any form of monetary compensation onto AFL House right now. They laugh at the small clubs and kick them in the groins, yet still expect the supporters to pony up with cash.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

B: Stratton, Lake, Gibson

HB: Birchall, Frawley, Hodge

Lake: takes the number 1 key forward
Frawley: takes the number 2 key forward
Gibson: takes the third tall -medium forward allowing us more drive and rebound off half-back

Winning! :D

Lake on Hawkins
Frawley on Clarke

:cool:

Do they call him "Chips" cause he leaves when the chips are down?

Will backfire soon enough for a player.

Will leave for a flag and get the downward spiral ala Buckley.

If I read a story though next year that it's a good story, or that it's romantic that he plays in a grand final, I will spew.

In the case of buddy it is $40K a year... and you seriously think he gives about an extra $40k? And no they can't use the COLA freely every player has the clause where they get an extra 9.8% which isn't that much anyway lol.

While not literally a slush fund it is in practice if Sydney is any good at negotiations. With the middle tear players who are not in the strong negotiating position of buddy and tippet, the 9.8% can be treated as a figure that brings them up to market value (because we all know COLA is way more than the actual cost of living extras for most players, especially when you consider real estate resale values). Sydney can negotiate with a player and say "well you are worth only 200k/year, so we are going to give you 180k, and you'll get 20k bonus via the COLA". Sydney just got that player for 20k less than market value, you then do that across a bunch of players, and you free up cash that can then be spent in big wads in one or two places if you'd like to.

It is pretty simple really, you have a cap advantage, it is why the media makes a big deal out of Buddy and Tippet, and will not make the same deal about Frawley. And then there is the fact that we appear to be offering him much , much less than you are paying your two high profile signings.

I hope Sydney posters continue to whinge about this, as it makes all their "Get over the COLA" posts massively hypocritical, especially when their club isn't even involved in the transaction, and the underlying structure of our caps are completely different. At least Hawthorn had something to be directly annoyed about with Buddy leaving.

Never seen so much overreaction in my life. Frawley finished 8th in the Dees best and fairest, he'll be a solid player but it's not like the Hawks just recruited a superstar. Relax.
Buddy also didn't make top 10 in our b&f in 2013

As long as players make a compromise on all out salaries and the prospect of winning premierships, free agency will not work.

As much as it disgusts me to say it, the comp needs players to move JUST for the biggest paychecks, NFL style.

Until then, it is an unfair balance, that unequally rewards clubs near the top, who can recruit a free agent for less than their true market value, due to the player wanting premiership success.

Couple that with the fact all clubs are required to pay 95% or whatever of the salary cap (regardless of their actual talent on their list), it means clubs near the bottom of the ladder don't stand a chance.

Outside of Gary Ablett (and that took an AFL exemption for GC to pay him substantially more), have we seen a single decent free agent go to a bottom club? Don't think so. They all bail and head off to already successful clubs, further unbalancing the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back