Opinion If Port had the number one draft pick.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
After seeing Luke Hodge win the number one of number ones, I thought who would we take in this years crop if we had the number one pick?

Would we go McCartin as KPFs are hard to come by?

Or Brayshaw/Petracca despite our midfield depth?

Perhaps a project player like Wright or Durdin?

Someone left field like Laverde?

Trade it?

I'd go for the safest player rather than potential. So it would be a ready to go mid.

Yea that was my thought but then they would be unlikely to play for a couple of years as our list is young and it would be difficult to see who they would edge out.

Durdin or Wright fit our needs but are projects and definitely not safe as say a McCartin or one of the mids on offer.

Hawkins is a free agent so no need to trade the #1 pick for him. Just dig deep into those $anfl-ruining pockets.

Hawkins is a free agent so no need to trade the #1 pick for him. Just dig deep into those $anfl-ruining pockets.

Stranger things have happened. I'd never have believed, this time last year, that we would land Paddy Ryder. I just don't see the harm in calling up his agent and making a polite inquiry.

Another pointless hypothetical I have agonised over - what if we held the number one draft pick in the 2011 draft? Who would you have wanted to select out of Patton and Wingard? I would have gone with Patton at the time, and if we had I wouldn't see it as a mistake. Can't overlook a key forward like that - only way people could have done so is with the benefit of hindsight IMO. Gives me chills to think of a world where Chad Wingard doesn't play for us though!

Or Tomahawk. We need a big boy who can do the beeswax now.
Mitch Harvey is coming along nicely, assuming we can all pass the delayed gratification test (care for a marshmallow?). Our best chance of having one of these types of players since we entered the AFL.

..... Gives me chills to think of a world where Chad Wingard doesn't play for us though!
The real chills come when you think we could have let him slip at the end of 2011 and followed it up by not selecting Wines at the end of 2012. We'd have copped ten years of the sort of drafting fork-up threads that Feo fans endured until recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

.... who would we take in this years crop if we had the number one pick? ....
I guess in the end we would have probably traded for an established ruck this year because we had to have a more certain back-up for Lobbe. If we'd had #1 to offer for Ryder rather than #17 and #37 I reckon we'd still have done it.

Another pointless hypothetical I have agonised over - what if we held the number one draft pick in the 2011 draft? Who would you have wanted to select out of Patton and Wingard? I would have gone with Patton at the time, and if we had I wouldn't see it as a mistake. Can't overlook a key forward like that - only way people could have done so is with the benefit of hindsight IMO. Gives me chills to think of a world where Chad Wingard doesn't play for us though!
If we're talking hypotheticals, then hypothetically we may have had a priority pick on top of that. Patton and Wingard.

Pick 1 and Chad Wingard for Michael Hibberd and Essendon would still hold out til 1.55pm of the last trading day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back