Multiplat Dragon Age III: Inquisition

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm about 9 hours in and still in the Hinterlands. I probably have another 2 hours or so worth of stuff left there going by the missions I have currently.

Don't forget to go back to Haven regularly and do the War Council stuff.

I'm about 9 hours in and still in the Hinterlands. I probably have another 2 hours or so worth of stuff left there going by the missions I have currently.

Scratch that. Just over 12 hours in and still have more to come back to later when I have leveled up more and have a more powerful sword.

Playing through DA Origins and DA2 before I dive into this one.

Very tempting to just jump straight to this though after reading peoples experiences so far...

I played DA Origins but gave DA2 a miss because it was horrible. I'm currently playing this one with little knowledge but still really enjoying it, as long as I know what's going on in this one I'm happy.

Went a rogue archer, not the best move as it's tough when in battle as they just come at you. Level 4 I am atm and just hit Hinterland.

I played DA Origins but gave DA2 a miss because it was horrible. I'm currently playing this one with little knowledge but still really enjoying it, as long as I know what's going on in this one I'm happy.

Went a rogue archer, not the best move as it's tough when in battle as they just come at you. Level 4 I am atm and just hit Hinterland.

I was the opposite; I tried Origins ages ago and just couldnt get into it. Then I tried DA2 and loved it, sunk over 100 hours in it.

Now Im actually enjoying Origins...So Ill probably end up playing it a fair bit then skipping DA2 for Inquisition.

Anyone else pick the Templars?
I sided with them, kinda by accident as I just took that mission without thinking about what it would mean. Oops. Turned out to be a pretty cool mission to play through anyway.

Playing as an archer as well, it was getting a little samey up to level 8 or so when I got access to new abilities and ventured out of the Hinterland, I think you can kind of get stuck there trying to be a completionist when it's more fun to go elsewhere and then come back to finish off those level 12 rifts, at least on hard anyway.

Also, once you get another companion like Blackwall (in for Varric) the fights become a little easier and more enjoyable as the two warriors will be able to taunt the big guys whilst you decimate the archers/ ranged enemies.

I sided with them, kinda by accident as I just took that mission without thinking about what it would mean. Oops. Turned out to be a pretty cool mission to play through anyway.

Playing as an archer as well, it was getting a little samey up to level 8 or so when I got access to new abilities and ventured out of the Hinterland, I think you can kind of get stuck there trying to be a completionist when it's more fun to go elsewhere and then come back to finish off those level 12 rifts, at least on hard anyway.

Also, once you get another companion like Blackwall (in for Varric) the fights become a little easier and more enjoyable as the two warriors will be able to taunt the big guys whilst you decimate the archers/ ranged enemies.
When you say level 12 rifts, is there a way to see what level things are and I've missed it entirely? I kind of just float around until something beats the hell out of me.

14 hours in. Finally left the Hinterlands because I dont want to overlevel.

This game is huge. Like I can see a good 120+ hours here. Very excited to get a couple days off work. Going to lodge like a motherf*cker.

When you say level 12 rifts, is there a way to see what level things are and I've missed it entirely? I kind of just float around until something beats the hell out of me.
The only way I do it (On PC) is go into tactical mode when i'm nearby and then mouse over the enemies, it tells you their level and weaknesses/ immunities etc. Not sure about console.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The only way I do it (On PC) is go into tactical mode when i'm nearby and then mouse over the enemies, it tells you their level and weaknesses/ immunities etc. Not sure about console.

It's the same.

I just faced a dragon for the first time - only one person made it out alive, and I don't think I even got a quarter of its health down.

I found a new area, so I wanted to live and for it to count.

Is that the one in the Hinterlands? For some reason I found that area last. Was so excited. There is an awesome looking one in the Storm Coast too but I think it may have been Flemeth.

Is that the one in the Hinterlands? For some reason I found that area last. Was so excited. There is an awesome looking one in the Storm Coast too but I think it may have been Flemeth.

Yep. I have explored most of that area, so unless I can kite around it, I think I will need to come back when I am stronger. I haven't explored many other places yet so I hope there are many more.

Thought I would try and finish DA2 before jumping into Inquisition, have had it for ages but have only really grinded through the last few days; I have come to the conclusion I can't be arsed finishing it, at this point the only real motivation I have for finishing is romancing Isabella, the sexy honey pirate. Midway through Act 2, and I just can't do it any more. Loaded up the Keep and just made the decisions I thought I would've during the game. Now, to start Inquisition, finally.

For those wondering how to see enemy levels on ps4 and I assume it's the same on xb1 without having to go into tactical view then just click in R3 on the mob you're looking at. I do this regularly as a tank character when I have to pop shield wall which is something you have to actively sustain in this game compared to previous DAs.

This brings me to my major beef with this game and that's the lack of complex companion behaviors. I have always micro managed anyway but on trash mobs in Origins I had my party to set and forget. All we have now is ability priority with enable, disable and preferred. That's no good if you want execute abilities only to be used when enemy is below a certain percentage, or for a character to stay at range or whatever. Varric keeps running into cleave distance in my game. I'm sure he's just following me as the controlled character so those playing ranged classes may not be having the same issue but it's annoying when I use tactical view to move him to higher ground to take advantage of his ability only for him to right up next to me again moments later. Hold position doesn't always do the trick either. Basically I need to win agro, build up guard (because the AI will never use shield wall) then switch over to manually control Varric.

Besides that I'm in love with this game. I left the Hinterlands at level 7 after running into the level 12 rift and some other tough areas and have done a few of the other zones now. Have gone down the path of the templars for RP reasons and just flicking between areas as I level only nudging the story ahead as I need since it seems most of the zones have some pretty leveled parts.

Currently rolling with Solas for shields and fire dps, Varric for his ramblings and Sera as dagger rogue since it is really bursty and and to put up bleeds and sunders. Cassandra was just too cumbersome and useless as a 2h warrior with crap weapons. Will revisit this idea later on if I find a killer 2hander or get that Iron Bull companion or something.

Finally had time to sink a few hours into this, ah it's just a wonderful game. Seemingly another superb game that just doesn't get on Bigfooty's radar (the lack of contributors to the Dark Souls threads just doesn't make sense).

This game is extremely accessible, don't be afraid :p

Who is everyone using as a companion at the moment? I've got Sera, Iron Bull and Vivienne.

Will revisit this idea later on if I find a killer 2hander or get that Iron Bull companion or something.

He is quite easy to find:

At some point outside the keep in Haven (I was about level 7 or 8) you get a messenger who tells you that Iron Bull and his mercs want to join the Inquisition. Go to the Storm Coast and on the beach just to the right (I think) of where the game loads will be Iron Bull and his mercs in a fight. Help them out and then after that you can have him as a companion.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back