Universal Love Port Adelaide 2015 Bushfire Appeal and Intra-Club Match

Remove this Banner Ad

So at this stage who'd be likely to replace Ryder and Monfries in the 22 if they were to be suspended for any part of the AFL season?

View attachment 112517

Match simulation my ass! Scratch match. Or GTFO.
didnt see it tonight unfortunately, but, glorified training run, it wasnt a match, there was no game, it was just extended training asada, afl, no need to make any future bans from this point on......

Was impressed with Paddy Ryder's presence. Just looks like he knows where to run. When we get him on the park think he's gonna make a difference.
Ollie impressive as always. Saw a lot to like with a lot of players. Thought Amon moved well.

Lots of kids there particularly in the kick to kick after the game. I wanted to invent time travel go back to 2011 and shout out to every one of us "it gets better" it gets better".

Took my 15 year old who is reading Dynasty and really getting into the clubs history watching games on youtube etc into the indoor facility and pointed at someone across the room. I said you know who that is?. He turns to me and said Oh My God Oh my God that's Russel Ebert.

The great man was kind enough to let us have a photo. The boy shakes the great mans hand and starts to walk away and turns around to Russel and says "your a legend". Brought a bit of a tear to this old mans eye.

The jumpers that the players were wearing, I assume they are just training jumpers? because I don't like the colours blending like they were.

I was left breathless by the speed at which the game was played. Sure skills were good but they were executed at breakneck speed with enough physical pressure to make it real enough. Some of the run, carry and overlapping run was superb.

Both the teams were very good at getting back behind the ball when not in possession and blocking up the right spots. It wasn't all run ahead of the ball run and gun. There was some serious defence being played. It fell down a few times for the black team in the second quarter but they managed to get back on top of that part of their game.

No one is going to enjoy playing Port and will be well and truly run hard during a game. Good luck with that. As Macca noted at the game, Ken was playing full teams right til the end. In the past we were down to 9 a side in the last quarters of trial games (there I said it :p)

As for individuals, the ones who caught my eye

Ryder looked sensational, is a big unit and runs around like a medium sized on baller. A quick, skilful one.

Wines, the raging bull continues to rage. I think he could carry a ball to the goal line with pretty much an entire team hanging off him. Being the consummate team man he would probably fire out a handball.

Gray is a freak. A deadset star. He has an obscene amount of skill.

Wagner, wow I was impressed. I thought he would be a bit of a gimmick but he can really play. Quick, smart and a good footy brain. Decent size too. He's survived a Burgess pre-season so he is serious.

Doogie Howard did some noticeable things, competed hard in the ruck, can run and took a few nice intercept marks.

Butch ah Butch. Took marks, chased, tackled, was involved a lot. He kicked 5 goals by my dodgy recollection but that kicking action looks as suspect as ever to me. Like Ken said, you have to take the whole package.

Boak. Captain Alberton. Uber-professional and looks so assured. Has grown into such a complete footballer and leader.

Polec his silky skills are becoming more and more apparent. With extra strength and fitness he keeps raising the bar. Umpires noticed him last year when they didn't know who he was. What next?

Lobbe is a colossus even in trial games. He's probably heroic pulling on his socks.

Everyone seems to be saying how well Port played but it was an internal trial was it not?
I wasn't there but I take it the A side played the B side? Good signs to be playing games again but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.

You can only take so much out of this because it's basically a scratch match at training. You can only really look at who was doing what well, you can't rubbish blokes when they're not taking it as seriously as they would during the season. FWIW Andrew Moore dropped a sitter of a chest mark when he was in the clear and it bounced about 2 meters off his chest. It's the only real stuff up I took notice of.

Will the gate takings be announced publicly? It'd be nice to know how much is going to the fire victims: they need every cent!!!!
If the get it. It goes to the emergency fund and they are not in an express hurry to distribute. It makes you think what they are doing with all the funds they are sitting on.

Polec his silky skills are becoming more and more apparent. With extra strength and fitness he keeps raising the bar. Umpires noticed him last year when they didn't know who he was. What next?

300 to 1 for the Brownlow :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If the get it. It goes to the emergency fund and they are not in an express hurry to distribute. It makes you think what they are doing with all the funds they are sitting on.
When Queensland flooded we (the tax payers) footed the bill, now this in South Australia and we are struggling to make ends meet... Go figure!

Thanks to everyone for all the 'simulation' reports. Personally I don't worry too much about form in these games as long as the guys who need game time get it and the fringe players show a bit. Sounds like that was achieved and of course no injuries. Like what I read re Paddy, Butch, Yoey, P Stew, Ollie, Amon & Impey.

Everyone seems to be saying how well Port played but it was an internal trial was it not?
I wasn't there but I take it the A side played the B side? Good signs to be playing games again but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves.
Please Dad, it's not a school night, can I stay up a little while? I promise not to play with myself...

300 to 1 for the Brownlow :p
I struggle to see any of our boys taking home Charlie this year unfortunately just because they'll steal votes from each other.

None of them will care as it's not the medal they want anyway.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back