Game Day NAB Round 1 Crows v Kangaroos, 1 March @ 4.10

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to see Walsh wasn't happy with the last quarter either.

Some of the nuff nuffs in here pretending it was all part of the plan and "if you couldn't see it was because we moved CEY into the middle so we obviously weren't too fussed then you don't understand the game" etc... Yes we used the last to apply the blowtorch to CEY, Martin etc and the score wasn't relevant at all, but the point is our structures broke down completely. The whole team defense fell apart and we couldn't clear our 50. Glad he wasn't happy.

When fatigue set in in the last quarter they reverted back to bad habits. It will take a little time to get this sorted. Adding some experience will help alleviate this somewhat.
If we scrape a few wins together and gain some confidence, it will also help the problem.

When fatigue set in in the last quarter they reverted back to bad habits. It will take a little time to get this sorted. Adding some experience will help alleviate this somewhat.
If we scrape a few wins together and gain some confidence, it will also help the problem.
Yeah it's gotta be considered the difference in personnel particularly in the last quarter. Dal Santo, Harvey, Ziebell, Cunnington, Higgins, Waite, Petrie, L.Thomas all forward of centre vs O'Brien, B.Crouch, Lyons, Wright, VB, Grigg, Wigg, Siggins, Kelly all in that same half of the ground for us.

Now I'm not so worried about the difference in playing ability because good team structures can nullify that a bit, but the biggest difference I notice was fatigue/work rate. Our young guys massively dropped off and looked spent ie O'Brien, where as the seasoned/hardened North players didn't slow down.

Whilst Walsh needs to review the last quarter, I think our team defense broke down because of fatigue and inexperience. I look forward to seeing if we run the game out better next week with a few more hardened bodies.

Same! Twins from a distance.
http://www.afc.com.au/news/2015-03-02/ramsey-rises-to-occasion

Even Ramsey’s parents had to double check if the socks were up (Walker) or down (Ramsey) to confirm which strongly-built, dark-haired forward had the ball.

“It’s funny you say that. After the game, Majak Daw said to me, ‘Good game, Tex’. And then realised and said, ‘You’re not Tex’,” Ramsey said with a laugh.

“I might have to start wearing my socks up as well, so it makes it a bit harder for everyone.”

That last quarter would have given Walsh a clearer picture of what he has inherited than the entire preseason so far

That's a great way to put it..... I also think its bigger picture stuff than just "OMG, we nearly blew a 50 point lead in round 1 NAB challenge"

The info Walsh got in that last quarter would be fantastic

Actually I thought Jenkins has improved his ruck work around the ground. He was stopping Daw jumping in those instances. Jenkins was actually using his body strength pretty well. Daw might have got clean hits at the ball, but we overall were winning the clearances and reading his ruck work. There was some nice follow up work during centre clearances from Jenkins too.

O'Brien was a little raw at times, but there is a lot of promise there and he is very willing to tackle and follow up, a bit Jacobs like in that respect as I think he will develop into another 'tall mid'.
Very happy with O'brien as a rookie pick, give him 3 years and he should be very good. Let's hope he has a low kick to handball ratio though throuout his career

Some of the nuff nuffs in here pretending it was all part of the plan and "if you couldn't see it was because we moved CEY into the middle so we obviously weren't too fussed then you don't understand the game" etc... Yes we used the last to apply the blowtorch to CEY, Martin etc and the score wasn't relevant at all, but the point is our structures broke down completely. The whole team defense fell apart and we couldn't clear our 50. Glad he wasn't happy.
They seemed to go back to the Sando handball happy style in the back half in the last quarter and just turned completely indecisive at times as well. Complete 180 from the first 3 quarters. At least that's happening now I suppose so they can spend the next 2-3 weeks drilling it out of them some more, rather than it first appearing in in the regular games.

Nuff nuffs hey?

I think you will find that people were calling for calm - more than justifying the drop off. Sure you want to run out games, and you don't want teams to run over you - but the posts I read were more like "Relax it's only the pre-season and we didn't exactly have our most mature headed team out there to grab back control".

I liked what I saw - didn't panic over the last quarter, and look forward to seeing my team continue to move in the right direction.

Nuff nuffs hey?

I think you will find that people were calling for calm - more than justifying the drop off. Sure you want to run out games, and you don't want teams to run over you - but the posts I read were more like "Relax it's only the pre-season and we didn't exactly have our most mature headed team out there to grab back control".

I liked what I saw - didn't panic over the last quarter, and look forward to seeing my team continue to move in the right direction.

No no, there were definitely some "people get upset because they only watch the scoreboard and don't understand footy" nuff nuff posts

Regardless of who is on the ground your structures need to hold up or you're pissing in the wind. We see it constantly with the best sides that even when they have deep outs their depth players function seemlessly, not to such a high level, granted, but the structures that make them a successful side don't collapse.

We reverted to type when pressure and fatigue set in in the last. Took the easy options. It was worrying. North simply took their defenders off the ground and we couldn't trouble their back half all quarter. Couldn't clear our own half. The running stopped, the talking stopped, the lazy handballing to make it someone else's problem came back.

Some people brushed it off and over reacted at posters who were pissed because they were hoping that part of our game would be a memory.

I'm just glad Walsh doesn't share that rusted on excuse making type attitude quite common among many of our supporters. Bad old habits need to be stamped out not excused if we want to do more than make up the numbers like the last two decades. Regardless of the time of year.

No no, there were definitely some "people get upset because they only watch the scoreboard and don't understand footy" nuff nuff posts

Regardless of who is on the ground your structures need to hold up or you're pissing in the wind. We see it constantly with the best sides that even when they have deep outs their depth players function seemlessly, not to such a high level, granted, but the structures that make them a successful side don't collapse.

We reverted to type when pressure and fatigue set in in the last. Took the easy options. It was worrying. North simply took their defenders off the ground and we couldn't trouble their back half all quarter. Couldn't clear our own half. The running stopped, the talking stopped, the lazy handballing to make it someone else's problem came back.

Some people brushed it off and over reacted at posters who were pissed because they were hoping that part of our game would be a memory.

I'm just glad Walsh doesn't share that rusted on excuse making type attitude quite common among many of our supporters. Bad old habits need to be stamped out not excused if we want to do more than make up the numbers like the last two decades. Regardless of the time of year.
I agree with this for sure. I also rightly or wrongly didn't object too much to what occurred in the final stanza due to what I thaught was a task set by the team to put lesser lights in the deep end. The reverting back to the old habit was noticeable and to see that happening and the style collapse after the first three quarters is a concern. Still plenty of work to do and the mission is ongoing. On reflection you can never stop maintaining your objectives even if it is NAB round 1.

That's a great way to put it..... I also think its bigger picture stuff than just "OMG, we nearly blew a 50 point lead in round 1 NAB challenge"

The info Walsh got in that last quarter would be fantastic
What are you on about? The picture it would have given was that it's wasn't good, exactly what some of us have been saying.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has any one panicked over the last qtr? No so will posters not exaggerate to try and make their point.

What are you on about? The picture it would have given was that it's wasn't good, exactly what some of us have been saying.

I think you are right.

We will never see O'Brien, Martin & CEY starting in the middle together for a bounce up again.

I never said it was "good"

My line of thinking is that its not panic stations... Some have certainly been reacting that way. Not everyone mind you

It allowed Phil to see some of the lesser lights under pressure, and, while again, its not good, its info he can use at training and make changes needed to ensure it doesn't happen when the stuff that actually counts starts

I think it's better he sees us in all our flawed glory now while there's still time to act, adjust, alter line ups etc.

The last quarter was 2013-14 Crows.

Ok - I had a look back and there seemed to be evidence of both ... some people getting a bit over the top about the last quarter, and some brushing it off as nothing to worry about.

I think it is something to worry about, and it's great that Walsh can set some of those elite standards he is talking about early in the piece.

I guess my point would be - If we had played the last quarter better and held our ground more convincingly, I wouldn't be over excited as it's only pre-season ... same thought process for us giving up 40 points against the wind, not overly worried about it.

Sure it tells us where we are at, and that the same players that struggled last year have not magically become clear thinking great footballers in a couple of months of a new coach ... but I do agree that Walsh's response was consistent, and welcomed.

I think it's better he sees us in all our flawed glory now while there's still time to act, adjust, alter line ups etc.

The last quarter was 2013-14 Crows.
This in a nutshell. It's good that Walsh can actually see first hand the mistakes we have been making in the past and come up with some a way to counter it if a side gets two or three quick goals in a row. Honestly I wasn't going to be worried if we got pumped by ten goals this game, so to get a win is actually a pretty good result.

This in a nutshell. It's good that Walsh can actually see first hand the mistakes we have been making in the past and come up with some a way to counter it if a side gets two or three quick goals in a row. Honestly I wasn't going to be worried if we got pumped by ten goals this game, so to get a win is actually a pretty good result.
You don't think he would have watched our famous fade-outs already and put measures in place to counter it? If he's only just seen it in the game yesterday, I'd be worried. Surely the result in that quarter had more to do with which personnel were playing where and the fact we were kicking against the breeze?

You don't think he would have watched our famous fade-outs already and put measures in place to counter it? If he's only just seen it in the game yesterday, I'd be worried. Surely the result in that quarter had more to do with which personnel were playing where and the fact we were kicking against the breeze?
Difference he got to see it live, get his blood worked up. It's hard to recreate that via vision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back