Drugs/doping in AFL

Remove this Banner Ad

If its the player I am hearing, then it will be a HUGE disappointment for me, was really looking for this guy to improve greatly this year.
Absolutely. One of the funniest players for the club, they had worked hard to use him as a key facet of the marketing, especially of Wellington. Now this.

Just such a waste.

Is the "I didn't know it was in the recreational drugs I took" a defense that could work to stop any major suspensions? Could you play it as a defense around being deceived into taking it? It's a long shot but I think it could be their only option.

I agree you cant blame the club, but one would hope that they have sessions on the risks of recreational drugs and if they don't they start!
This might be a burn one save a thousand scenario, will be interesting to see how Finnis handles it.
You would have to be a deadset moron of the highest order to NOT hear the clamouring voices around this issue, ESPECIALLY at St Kilda. After what happened to Saady, how could anybody be so utterly stupid? Even Armo today was saying that the players get it drummed into them mercilessly, to the point where the older players get frustrated, along the lines of, "do we have to listen to this again!? As IF any of us could be this stupid, in this day and age?"

Guess somebody was.

Systematic doping with who-the-hell-apparently-knows-what is ok but an inadvertent milkshake ingredient isn't... illicit drugs, salary cap cheating, draft tampering and illegal betting rife... constant rule tinkering and 'sanitisation'...

Yep. Just about had it.

I look at my little fella now and fervently hope he has a long and storied career... at a local club.

Agree has killed any chance of me attending an Essendon home game.
AFL have dropped the ball at a very very bad time with this decision ,soccer making huge inroads into the sport.Will cause massive disruption at grounds that involve Essendon games within opposition supporters
And the big end of town clubs now have what they want total control of the AFL .

Forget about the cost of footy this is a huge issue and they have murdered the code with this one decision

If a player is snorting coke paid for with members and sponsors money then he is a piece of sh/t .
Prob better off without him.
Just hope members and sponsors stick around.

spot on. nailed it. especially when they have no control over where that money ends up and what it helps contribute too. its not victimless

Is the "I didn't know it was in the recreational drugs I took" a defense that could work to stop any major suspensions? Could you play it as a defense around being deceived into taking it? It's a long shot but I think it could be their only option.
Would they believe anything like that though?

It seems very dodgy to me that two best mates are getting done for it. Same as the Collingwood two. Seems deliberate to me but i hope i'm a wrong

Wait - the good ol', "I didn't know I was taking a ASADA-banned legal drug when I was taking an illegal recreational drug, so that's okay, right?" defence? o_O

Systematic doping with who-the-hell-apparently-knows-what is ok but an inadvertent milkshake ingredient isn't... illicit drugs, salary cap cheating, draft tampering and illegal betting rife... constant rule tinkering and 'sanitisation'...

Yep. Just about had it.

I look at my little fella now and fervently hope he has a long and storied career... at a local club.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-03-...ing-ice-as-performance-enhancing-drug/6340326
Not these clubs though! ICE makes PEDs look like a lolly pop.

Seems like we can agree on one thing.

Andrew Demetriou has given the biggest hospital pass, a hospital pass to end all hospital passes, to Gill McLaughlan. Poor bloke.
As if being Hamish's brother wasn't enough...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Seems like we can agree on one thing.

Andrew Demetriou has given the biggest hospital pass, a hospital pass to end all hospital passes, to Gill McLaughlan. Poor bloke.
Took his money and ran did Vlad.

Presided over all of this with strategically wilful blindness, and got very rich doing it.

Everybody knows cocaine is rife in the AFL. My guess is that clenbuterol is being mixed with certain batches of cocaine or even ecstasy, or some other party drug (I am no expert in this field). The players in question are probably assuming it will be out of their system in 2-3 days. So it might be a case of ignorance as opposed to an intention to purposely cheat.

Either way, we have had way too much drama off the field to put up with this crap. If guilty, their is the door your clown. You want to an AFL player and get paid huge coin, they pull your head in and knuckle down. I have no idea what the the F the player in question could be celebrating anyway, would it be his 1 good game thus far? Or maybe he is just celebrating his completely unrealised potential to this point?

The irony of us potentially losing our Goddard pick to the Bombers to a drug scandal is so fricking vomit worthy I can't quite believe it. Please be JUST A RUMOR!!!!!!!

We're dreaming if we think that poor Trav Tuck was the first triple-striker...

The rumour about the star player who's been at two of the 'bird clubs' being shepherded through hasn't got any quieter with the years.

The most disappointing element of this entire saga (if it does eventuate), is that all the hard work Finnis and co have worked through over the past 12-15 months will end up being for nought.

Are you saying we have to hand back the sponsorship money, un sign all of the players we signed and relapse all those members?
Please.

It's what the club does NOW that defines it.

I couldn't care who it is at our club, if true, as long as it isn't anyone from the last two drafts.

We don't have any decent young players apart from that group who will be A graders if we take our rose coloured glasses off.

Piss any cheats off, I along with several members of my family have been 20 plus years coterie members, I am not interested in investing in druggies of any kind.

Are you saying we have to hand back the sponsorship money, un sign all of the players we signed and relapse all those members?
Please.

It's what the club does NOW that defines it.

I'm talking about the reputational effects. The sponsorship money might end earlier than expected - we won't be able to sign another major one (we might've even had one waiting in the wings, with the requirement that we are clean on and off the field). Supporters who sign up this year, might not sign up next year. Its about the long term prospects, if these allegations are found correct it does set us quite significantly backward, even more so if we don't act decisively.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back