Toast Joel Selwood 200 games

Remove this Banner Ad

I know there's a 150th milestone thread around, but thought our mighty skipper warranted a separate thread to celebrate his upcoming 200th game.

Aspiring footballers could only dare to dream of such as decorated career, which includes-triple premiership player, four time all Australian selection (please correct me if I'm out here, relying on my dodgy memory!), club best and fairest, afl's most courageous player, honoured with being named club captain-and he's only just turned 27. :thumbsu:

So glad he gets to play at KP this week, in front of what should be a huge crowd. Hope we can turn the tide of recent milestones and honour our exceptional captain with a win.

844330-130dadd8-28fa-11e4-9cd4-169c4b45f9f2.jpg

I know there's a 150th milestone thread around, but thought our mighty skipper warranted a separate thread to celebrate his upcoming 200th game.

Aspiring footballers could only dare to dream of such as decorated career, which includes-triple premiership player, four time all Australian selection (please correct me if I'm out here, relying on my dodgy memory!), club best and fairest, afl's most courageous player, honoured with being named club captain-and he's only just turned 27. :thumbsu:

So glad he gets to play at KP this week, in front of what should be a huge crowd. Hope we can turn the tide of recent milestones and honour our exceptional captain with a win.

844330-130dadd8-28fa-11e4-9cd4-169c4b45f9f2.jpg

Well said young lady.....

He won the Rising Star award in his 1st year as well CG, with Pendlebury a close 2nd. Still think we won the lottery drafting Joel.

Hope Cat's fans who are lucky enough to go along to this game forget about booing Goodes, and instead cheer Joel EVERY time he's involved in the play. :footy::thumbsu:

Given that he knows what happened to Mitch Thorpe…

You'd reckon every once and a while he'd take a big, thankful breath.

And to Sel, congrats on being a magnificent leader and player.

Go Catters

I posted this on the 150 thread but is more pertinent here; thoughts on the Skip

There are so many words that could be said about Joel Selwood. To me, he is just such a consummate professional, an unbelievable warrior for our club. His performances since debut will go down in history as one of the best players ever.
His leadership was clear very early on, there is no doubt about that. To go into a midfield of Corey (criminally underrated by some) Bartel (in a brownlow year) Ablett (just as he started to consistently display how great he is) and play such a role was amazing.

His game in the 2011 GF was pivotal. If it wasn't for #3 being such a club legend I would have spewed that the skipper did not win the norm smith. He was a giant. Ditto 2013 prelim, an absolute giant of a game, off the top of my head was something like 38 touches and 3 goals.

Plenty more that could be said. But instead of boooing Goodes this week, Cats supporters should be doing nothing more than Cheering our great Captain with all of our breath, with all our might - he is the embodiment of "Stand up and Fight, Remember our Tradition"

GO CATS

Superstar of a player. His first year at the club was amazing to watch and to be able to slot into a top midfield like he had been there for years was awesome :thumbsu:

My favourite moment would be when he made Brad Sewell cry when he out marked him and delivered a perfect pass to Hawkins in the round 19 2012 match.
617279-joel-selwood.jpg

Given that he knows what happened to Mitch Thorpe…

Go Catters
Was there ever a '(Toast) Mitch Thorp - Delisted' thread?:p

Last edited:
Read somewhere that Joel will be the 4th fastest player to reach his 200th game, only behind Schimmelbusch, Goodes and Hart. Not bad for someone who was recruited with suss knees.

A consummate player and leader of the club. Must be dream for our younger blokes getting to train and play alongside Selwood each week. :thumbsu:

He won the Rising Star award in his 1st year as well CG, with Pendlebury a close 2nd. Still think we won the lottery drafting Joel.

Hope Cat's fans who are lucky enough to go along to this game forget about booing Goodes, and instead cheer Joel EVERY time he's involved in the play. :footy::thumbsu:
It wasn't that close a 2nd I don't think Kaz

Pretty sure Joel got the maximum 3 votes from all bar 1 of the people that decide it

(Log in to remove this ad.)

also how much would he have loved the way it has all panned out.... growing up as a massive cats fan and all

Cats website has listed Joel's top five performances...

1. Round 14, 2007, Etihad Stadium:
Geelong 19.19 (133) def Essendon 12.11 (83)

After starting his AFL career with a couple of quiet games, Selwood was hitting his straps by the second half of the 2007 season. He was everywhere in this particular game against the Bombers, finishing with 26 disposals and eight tackles. He was later rewarded with the first Brownlow Medal vote of his career.

2. Round 17, 2009, MCG:
Geelong 15.9 (99) def Hawthorn 14.14 (98)

In a tough and rugged contest, which was played at the peak of the rivalry between the Cats and the Hawks, Selwood was simply outstanding. He dominated one of the best midfields in the competition, racking up 42 disposals, 11 tackles, nine clearances and a goal as Geelong won a thrilling contest by the narrowest of margins. The umpires later awarded him three Brownlow Medal votes.

3. Round 19, 2011, Simonds Stadium:
Geelong 37.11 (233) def Melbourne 7.5 (47)

The Cats went on a record-breaking rampage in this game, and Selwood led the way. Even though his team had the game in the bag by half-time, he kept running hard right to the finish, amassing a career-high 43 disposals, along with 11 tackles, six clearances, a goal and three votes in the Brownlow.

4. Grand Final, 2011, MCG:
Geelong 18.11 (119) def Collingwood 12.9 (81)

Selwood's performances throughout the 2011 finals series were extraordinary. He was second-best on ground in the qualifying final win over Hawthorn and was then best afield in the Cats' demolition of West Coast in the preliminary final. But he saved his best performance for last. He finished the Grand Final with a team-high 28 disposals to go with seven tackles, eight clearances and two goals. Selwood could easily have won the Norm Smith Medal, but he was edged out by champion teammate Jimmy Bartel.

5. Round 20, 2013, Simonds Stadium:
Geelong 20.9 (129) def Port Adelaide 16.8 (104)

Selwood had a brilliant 2013 season, finishing runner-up in the Brownlow Medal with 27 votes – just one less than the winner, his former teammate Gary Ablett. Among Selwood's three-vote games was a superb performance against the Power at Simonds Stadium. The Cats' skipper ended the match with 28 disposals, five tackles, six clearances and four goals.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-08-03/5-great-games-joel-selwood

Pretty hard to decide, especially when he's been so consistently good since his first year, but his 2011 grand final performance would be my personal fave if I had to choose one. Congrats to Joel on a stellar career to date. :thumbsu:

IMO, easily the most complete and best captain of Geelong in the many years I have followed the Cats, and in that time I have seen Billy Goggin, Sam Newman, Geoff Ainsworth, Ian and Bruce Nankervis, Brian Peake, Andrew Bews, Mark Bairstow, Damian Bourke, Gary Ablett, Gary Hocking, Ben Graham, Steven King, Lingy, and Harley. Probably missed a few.

Cats website has listed Joel's top five performances...

1. Round 14, 2007, Etihad Stadium:
Geelong 19.19 (133) def Essendon 12.11 (83)

After starting his AFL career with a couple of quiet games, Selwood was hitting his straps by the second half of the 2007 season. He was everywhere in this particular game against the Bombers, finishing with 26 disposals and eight tackles. He was later rewarded with the first Brownlow Medal vote of his career.

2. Round 17, 2009, MCG:
Geelong 15.9 (99) def Hawthorn 14.14 (98)

In a tough and rugged contest, which was played at the peak of the rivalry between the Cats and the Hawks, Selwood was simply outstanding. He dominated one of the best midfields in the competition, racking up 42 disposals, 11 tackles, nine clearances and a goal as Geelong won a thrilling contest by the narrowest of margins. The umpires later awarded him three Brownlow Medal votes.

3. Round 19, 2011, Simonds Stadium:
Geelong 37.11 (233) def Melbourne 7.5 (47)

The Cats went on a record-breaking rampage in this game, and Selwood led the way. Even though his team had the game in the bag by half-time, he kept running hard right to the finish, amassing a career-high 43 disposals, along with 11 tackles, six clearances, a goal and three votes in the Brownlow.

4. Grand Final, 2011, MCG:
Geelong 18.11 (119) def Collingwood 12.9 (81)

Selwood's performances throughout the 2011 finals series were extraordinary. He was second-best on ground in the qualifying final win over Hawthorn and was then best afield in the Cats' demolition of West Coast in the preliminary final. But he saved his best performance for last. He finished the Grand Final with a team-high 28 disposals to go with seven tackles, eight clearances and two goals. Selwood could easily have won the Norm Smith Medal, but he was edged out by champion teammate Jimmy Bartel.

5. Round 20, 2013, Simonds Stadium:
Geelong 20.9 (129) def Port Adelaide 16.8 (104)

Selwood had a brilliant 2013 season, finishing runner-up in the Brownlow Medal with 27 votes – just one less than the winner, his former teammate Gary Ablett. Among Selwood's three-vote games was a superb performance against the Power at Simonds Stadium. The Cats' skipper ended the match with 28 disposals, five tackles, six clearances and four goals.
http://www.geelongcats.com.au/news/2015-08-03/5-great-games-joel-selwood

Pretty hard to decide, especially when he's been so consistently good since his first year, but his 2011 grand final performance would be my personal fave if I had to choose one. Congrats to Joel on a stellar career to date. :thumbsu:
I still reckon that game against Sydney up there a couple of years back is up there as one of his best

So I expect someone to blow that theory away with stats

Played a ripper against Freo in his 2nd year, over in Perth, we won the game by a point - I just checked the stats and Selwood 'only' got 26 disposals that night, so not a huge one stat-wise, but he got the 3 Brownlow votes and I can remember him racking up a ton of clean centre clearances and single-handedly keeping a very flat Geelong in the game.

Played a ripper against Freo in his 2nd year, over in Perth, we won the game by a point - I just checked the stats and Selwood 'only' got 26 disposals that night, so not a huge one stat-wise, but he got the 3 Brownlow votes and I can remember him racking up a ton of clean centre clearances and single-handedly keeping a very flat Geelong in the game.

Statistics don't always tell the full story about Selwood, because of the quality and importance of some of his takeaways from the centre, especially in a match context.

Was a ripping game he played in that game. Almost single handedly got us over the line. I remember we were about 5 goals down in the 2nd quarter before he went into beast mode and won about 3 centre clearances in a row. Insane stuff.

To me Selwood absolutely epitomises Geelong's most successful era.
More than any other Geelong player, I think of Joel Selwood and I think 'Winner'.

Could you imagine how competitive the games of footy in the backyard with his brothers would've been? :eek:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back