Do we want Zac Smith at the Cattery?

• Yes

Votes: 199 77.1%
  • No

Votes: 59 22.9%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not exactly.

So having only played 21 games this year at best 1 game will be disregarded.

thanks for posting that info - i have had a quick search in recent times to find out the info and didn't come across it, so appreciate someone posting it.

Last edited:
Given this is a Zac Smith thread, lets get back to that.

After hearing Cookie do the awkward shuffle today when SEN hit him about it, Id say we are in this one….
And then hearing Wells be a bit elusive with Daws when he was mentioned…..

Join those dots….

Go Catters

After hearing Cookie do the awkward shuffle today when SEN hit him about it, Id say we are in this one….

Join those dots….

Go Catters
It's merely a matter of how we'll achieve all deals... all 4 that is, inc Smith.

Join those dots….

Go Catters

Like this Daz?

images-20.jpg

Look we can whine all we want about our recruiting compared to Hawthorn but we just have to face the fact that they are the best in every sense in the AFL right now. They don't try to recruit bargain players who are injured like we do they go for the best! They recruited McEvoy when he was clearly one of the best young ruckmen in the whole comp, they recruited Lake when he was arguably the best KPD in the comp meanwhile we recruit like the glorified country club we are getting players who want to live near home, and get players brothers to come down for a kick, and injured guys from other clubs that the coach knows and that we hope might workout. The fact is there's a lot more pull to go to a club like Hawthorn where you can live close to the city and have a great lifestyle than there is moving to a club like Geelong. The only advantage Geelong has is the rural nature of it that might appeal to some AFL players that originally come from the country, and the connections it forms through people you know rather than what you know which is that glorious country town Australian tradition.

Great post .

I would add that hawthorn have traded away more than we have , for instance they have traded 5 1st round picks over the past 5 or 6 years .we have only traded away 1. So it's only logical that they would get better players in return.

Join those dots….

Go Catters
Really Daws? As in Majak? Surely we aren't that desperate?

Look we can whine all we want about our recruiting compared to Hawthorn but we just have to face the fact that they are the best in every sense in the AFL right now. They don't try to recruit bargain players who are injured like we do they go for the best! They recruited McEvoy when he was clearly one of the best young ruckmen in the whole comp, they recruited Lake when he was arguably the best KPD in the comp meanwhile we recruit like the glorified country club we are getting players who want to live near home, and get players brothers to come down for a kick, and injured guys from other clubs that the coach knows and that we hope might workout. The fact is there's a lot more pull to go to a club like Hawthorn where you can live close to the city and have a great lifestyle than there is moving to a club like Geelong. The only advantage Geelong has is the rural nature of it that might appeal to some AFL players that originally come from the country, and the connections it forms through people you know rather than what you know which is that glorious country town Australian tradition.
we have more holes than they do, so they didn't need to plug like us
if we land selwood, danger, Henderson, zac, and a mid this year and not trade our 2016 picks we have done well

if we land selwood, danger, Henderson, zac, and a mid this year and not trade our 2016 picks we have done well
Agree with Danger, Zac, and the mystery mid being good gets (depending on who the mystery mid is of course?) but I've got reservations about Henderson and Selwood considering Henderson's two seasons now of pretty average/poor form and Selwood's two seasons in a row now of injury problems.

Agree with Danger, Zac, and the mystery mid being good gets (depending on who the mystery mid is of course?) but I've got reservations about Henderson and Selwood considering Henderson's two seasons now of pretty average/poor form and Selwood's two seasons in a row now of injury problems.
people forget lake was crapola before his move
its amazing where hendo will be in 6 months
he will be better than mitch and we will pay the same for both - and that's what you need to judge it on

And that's not how our b&f award works.

Your 4 worst (I think it's 4) performances are removed from the count.
That could be games you played poorly in or games you missed completely.

This was set up by Scott so that players he wanted to rest weren't disadvantaged in the b&f and therefor contract bonuses.
Set up by Scott? You mean after Ablett was playing. Good if that change has been made as it fixes one of the flaws of the award.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

people forget lake was crapola before his move
its amazing where hendo will be in 6 months
he will be better than mitch and we will pay the same for both - and that's what you need to judge it on
Lake was also an all Australian before he came to the Hawks. He had previous form. Henderson has never been close to that level.

Lake was also an all Australian before he came to the Hawks. He had previous form. Henderson has never been close to that level.
You're banging on about a supposed best and fairest award that's flawed, then in the same breath you mention the most flawed award in football... All Australian.

What do you think the likelihood of those two turning into AFL players is? Read was a rookie pick. Granted, plenty of ruckmen have come from the rookie draft, but he's still a speculative pick at best. Lucey isn't worthy of consideration. He shouldn't impact on list management/balancing considerations at all. The likelihood of him succeeding is so low, if you were really hinging your future on the prospect of him becoming an AFL-level ruckman, you're in for a very tough road ahead.

I will be honest and say I don't know all that much about either of them. I agree that we are not in an ideal situation with our ruck stocks . It's very much like the problem we had for so long under Thompson trying to find a good kp forward.

i don't think we should write of either read or lucey just yet .unless your going to get a gun ruckman who is ready made in the draft which is not easy too do ,they take time too develop. Lucey certainly has all the physical attributes to be a good ruckman and I beleive was selected on the recommendation of brad ottens . Just give him a go .

My advice would be that if we can't fix our ruck problem this year , which is probably more than likely , next year we do what hawthorn have done twice over the previous 5 years and trade a 1st round draft pick for a good durable ruckman .its also what we did with ottens.

Henderson was playing like a guy who had mentally checked out of the Blues. Didn't help that he was playing under Mick who insisted on using him at the wrong end of the ground.

Fine take out the award. Henderson has never got even remotely close to the level Lake got to at Footscray.
Based on what?

Lake was also
geelong_crazy26 just said I had a great post.....I'm very worried. There's a huge disturbance in the force.

Maybe I am drunk ?

What's your opinion on Geelong trying to pick up Dangerfield ,Selwood,Henderson and smith over the trade period ?
Can we get all 4 ? how much will they improve us ?

Back