2013 Draft - Overrated and Underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You dinkum?
Melbourne clubs recruiting in the West cant be as amateurish as you suggest.

Hells yes it can, in the past, poorer Melbourne clubs often haven't had the resources to cover the entire country and see WA, SA, NSW, Queensland and Victorian footy, they generally rely on the championships and seeing some interstate matches. It's changing of course, and clubs are seeing the value in spending money on their recruiting and drafting department, but even in 2009, not all Melbourne clubs could claim to have great knowledge of the WA kids. It might be good or decent, but if you've felt that you've seen more of a Victorian and feel more knowledgeable of their game, or you haven't seen all of the good games of a certain junior, then these non-Victorians can slip down the list.

So, he was considered too skinny and was underexposed to AFL recruiters. Which is exactly what I said. It also has no relevance to the point I was making and in no way contradicts it.

Just stop, seriously.

My initial post was in regard to selecting a player who is physically developed and a star at that point in time versus having the balls to select a player who is physically underdeveloped but with signs of talent (but has large potential).

Could not have gone more over your head.

Yeah, Bontempelli is being talked up because he's one of the youngest draftees, is 192cm and developed late. And that's fine, but he's a bit of a gamble. Almost purely outside. Knightmare tells me he's got good genes of being a cousin to Dal Santo, but I'm not sure genes are an iron clad guarantee of being good. Boomer Harvey's brother was a dud for instance.

There's not a whole lot wrong with drafting on upside (especially if you're a club with good development programs), after all isn't the general idea of drafting first round to pick the best player you can possibly end up with?

As always there's an element of risk, but there's risk both ways - Sheed could be a very good quality player, a guy like Bontempelli could be a whole lot better despite being further away from the finished product.

My initial post was in regard to selecting a player who is physically developed and a star at that point in time versus having the balls to select a player who is physically underdeveloped but with signs of talent (but has large potential).

Could not have gone more over your head.
You could not have provided a more terrible and irrelevant analogy when responding to my post. Blame yourself.

UnderRated - I think Hourigan .

People are automatically going...yawn, another Tim Membrey. Somewhere in the 40 odd range.

I don't think so. Membrey was a man child. This kid is all puppy fat.

I think Hourigan could be an explosive League footballer. Huge talent. Goalkicker.

I reckon Port could be a chance at #21. Would be a perfect choice for GC at #20 or #27. Brisbane also in a perfect position to invest in a potential top talent.

There's not a whole lot wrong with drafting on upside (especially if you're a club with good development programs), after all isn't the general idea of drafting first round to pick the best player you can possibly end up with?

As always there's an element of risk, but there's risk both ways - Sheed could be a very good quality player, a guy like Bontempelli could be a whole lot better despite being further away from the finished product.

Sure, but I find the reasoning around Bontempelli to be a bit faulty. It leads people to believe he has a higher ceiling than I think he actually has.

Sure, but I find the reasoning around Bontempelli to be a bit faulty. It leads people to believe he has a higher ceiling than I think he actually has.

I think he does have quite a high ceiling though, it would appear that club recruiters think so at least.

Moves and kicks well, has some serious x-factor.

He's probably one of only two guys in the draft who have that freak touch with the ball, him and Kelly just seem to have it on a string and are really nicely balanced.

I'd agree that Sheed has a much higher floor.

I think he does have quite a high ceiling though, it would appear that club recruiters think so at least.

Moves and kicks well, has some serious x-factor.

He's probably one of only two guys in the draft who have that freak touch with the ball, him and Kelly just seem to have it on a string and are really nicely balanced.

I'd agree that Sheed has a much higher floor.

Well, let's agree to disagree then. I think a lot of people are reading a lot into Bontempelli, many people's assessment of how high his ceiling is is way too high IMO. I'd take KK or Scharenberg over him easily.

Well, let's agree to disagree then. I think a lot of people are reading a lot into Bontempelli, many people's assessment of how high his ceiling is is way too high IMO. I'd take KK or Scharenberg over him easily.

I'd also take both of them over him, I can see the appeal in Bontempelli - but there's not much chance I'd want to pick him in the top 7-8 because he has a lower floor then most of the guys looking like first rounders this year.

Eli Templeton is underrated.

Will likely go in the late 20's/early 30's but should be a top 15 pick.

Disagree. Any player with weight that has a 6 in front of it will be hard pressed to make an AFL career IMO. That includes others as well - Honeychurch, Bourne etc. These guys have to put 15-20kgs onto a small frame just to be competitive. I would not take any of these guys until late in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disagree. Any player with weight that has a 6 in front of it will be hard pressed to make an AFL career IMO. That includes others as well - Honeychurch, Bourne etc. These guys have to put 15-20kgs onto a small frame just to be competitive. I would not take any of these guys until late in the draft.
Eli's latest weight is 75.

Draft MAchine which would invariably use the Combine/Screening results would probably be correct has him listed as 75.

Do we know that for sure? It helps a little but i'm still skeptical about him putting on the necessary weight to go head to head with the best midfielders in the AFL.

And he'll be regularly going up against 90kg+ midfielders in the AFL. Does he have something special that compensates for this? I'm just not seeing a high draft pick.
Wonder if you made the same arguments about weight with regards to Lachie Whitfield last year or Aish this year. :rolleyes:

Eli's something special is his endurance. Pluss he has great skill, and a massive workrate. He most likely won't go round 1, but would not be in the slightest bit concerned about his weight.

Wonder if you made the same arguments about weight with regards to Lachie Whitfield last year or Aish this year. :rolleyes:

Eli's something special is his endurance. Pluss he has great skill, and a massive workrate. He most likely won't go round 1, but would not be in the slightest bit concerned about his weight.

I didn't say he couldn't play, just he is not worth a high pick - which you agree with me on.

I didn't say he couldn't play, just he is not worth a high pick - which you agree with me on.
Yeah, but I disagree with the reasoning of why he won't go round 1. Lachie Whitfield was just as slight framed, and he went no. 1. Eli hasn't had the same form as Whitfield, has had some injury issues, and is not quite as athletic as Whitfield either, so he won't go as high. It has nothing to do with his weight. Eli is a great prospect though, and shouldn't be too far outside round 1 - but may slide on the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back