List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Durdin and Vickers-Willis speak really well, seem to have some real leadership about them. This can only be a good thing.

Although ive scattered thoughts through other threads ill try consolidate my thoughts here.

All in all im pretty comfortable with our developing mids and forwards, personally its our tall defender slots im the most concerned with. So ill be watching a few potential 190+ options, only a few id consider 1st round options, but definately a few that may be available for 2nd round through to rookie spots. Will cut paste some of Knighmares/Chris25 write ups :)

Sam Durdin (SA - KPP)
Height: 197cm, Weight: 89kg, DOB: 06/06/1996
Recruited from: West Adelaide
Style:
Player comparison: Jake Carlisle/Lachie Henderson
Range: 1-5
Profile: Durdin is the better of the key defenders available this year. He’s got the versatility to play forward and through the ruck when required but he’s to this point played his best footy down back. He’s a good mover for a key position player with his athleticism and mobility at his height. He’s also one of the best users of the footy for a key position player you’ll find with his footskills particularly excellent. He’s also got a nice balance between ability to take the mark overhead but then the co-ordination below the knees and at ground level to compliment it and make him a real threat. Excellent reader of the play and reads the flight of the ball as well as any.

Hugh Goddard (VIC - KPP)
Height: 196cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 24/08/1996
Recruited from: Geelong Falcons
Style:
Player comparison: Sam Day
Range: 1-10
Profile: Goddard is one of the star key position players this year and has the ability to play both forward and back well. He’s got exceptional pace, agility and an excellent leap. Has a long kick for his age. And has some ability at ground level, so there is plenty to work with. There is just that little bit of something dominant missing to his game though. As a forward Goddard in the TAC can kick three goals a game every week but it’s almost always a quiet three goals. He just doesn’t feel like he’s going to take over games and you don’t really notice his impact as more a component to winning rather than a centrepiece and a reason for winning. He just lacks the presence to his game that the other premier key forwards of the competition have and doesn’t have that same feel that he’ll go off as a goalkicking threat like those other real high end key forwards have which is why I rate him lower than the other top key position players. I wouldn’t draft Goddard expecting him to become the no.1 option up forward but as a no.2 option he’d be an excellent get.

Jake Lever (VIC – Def/KPD)
Height: 192cm, Weight: 84kg, DOB: 05/03/1996
Recruited from: Calder Cannons
Style: Nick Maxwell (more talented – stronger in the contest and better kicking version)
Player comparison: Lachie Plowman
Range: 5-20
Profile: Lever is a really natural rebounding key defender with a real hardness and aggression to him with his approach to the contest. He’s a high level intercept mark reading it so well in the air and getting to the drop of the ball consistently. He’s also very capable of winning his 1v1s holding his position well and taking marks 1v1 down back making him a real weapon down back. Lever is also an exceptional run and carry player and moves incredibly well for his height. He isn’t afraid to take on the game and push up the field and be a part of linkup chains as essentially another running defender despite his position. By foot Lever by position is excellent and a real playmaker with his ability to find targets up the field. He’s considered a hard working, high character guy so it’s highly likely that he’ll get the best out of himself. He did a knee during the preseason so we won’t see him this season.

Darcy Moore (Coll - F/S – VIC – KPF/KPD/Ruck)
Height: 199cm, Weight: 93kg, DOB: 25/01/1996
Recruited from: Oakleigh Chargers
Style:
Player comparison: Nathan Vardy (without the injury issues)/Tyrone Vickery
Range: 1st – 2nd round.
Profile: Highly touted big man who has struggled these past couple of seasons with back injuries. Moore is a strong contested marking threat with his ability to mark the ball at the highest point even when he is double teamed. He reads the ball well in the air and exceptionally well and is also a very effective mark on the lead with his ability to create separation. Moore is an excellent athlete at his height with his speed and agility both excellent and a strong frame suggesting he can put on more muscle. His skills with ball in hand are above average and he’s a very clean user of the footy by hand and foot. He has played a bit of everywhere featuring both as a key forward and key defender. While Moore can play a bit of everywhere he feels most at home as a centre half forward where he can use his strong running game and also be a factor as a contested marking target. Moore isn’t a complete product at this point and the dominant player in the TAC Cup but he’s something with the traits he possesses with the scope to develop into an excellent key position player.

Caleb Marchbank - another tall who has some decent wraps on him is Caleb Marchbank, who unfortunately only managed two games last year before injury. An athletic 193cm KPP with good skills, I like him down back and am hoping to see much more of him in 2014. (from Chris25)

Mac Bower (SA – Fwd/Def)
Height: 190cm, Weight: 79kg, DOB: 27/01/1996
Recruited from: Norwood
Style: Sam Mayes/Beau Waters
Player comparison:
Range: 10-35
Profile: Bower is a tallish type with some aggression to him and the ability to play both forward and back to a high standard. As a forward Bower is excellent on the lead and a real goalscoring threat who on the lead with his pace can create separation and also use his leap to take a mark in the air. He’s also excellent down back as someone who can take intercept marks and set up play with his damaging footskills while also being able to beat his direct opponent.

Tyler Keitel (WA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 191cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 07/02/1996
Recruited from: East Perth
Style: Jarryd Roughead
Player comparison:
Range: 15-45
Profile: Keitel is a talented key position player who can play both forward and back well. He’s got ability both overhead but moves well for someone of his type with his agility and at ground level making him a real threat up forward but then down back can play a role and not look out of place. He has unusually clean hands for someone his height and has a natural dexterity with unusually clean hands and a co-ordination you don’t see in many key position players. Call me crazy but I’d like to see Keitel become player who splits his time forward and on the ball once he puts some size onto his frame. With his ability at ground level and clean hands at his height I don’t think he’s restricted to just playing as a key position player so there are some exciting possibilities for Keitel down the road if he can put it all together and fulfil his potential.

Daniel Nielson (VIC – KPD)
Height: 193cm, Weight: 90kg, DOB: 09/05/1996
Recruited from: Eastern Ranges
Style: Nathan Bock
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: Strong bodied key defender who has played well in the TAC Cup for the past couple of years now. He reads the play well down back and can take the intercept mark but is an equally adept stopper with his strength 1v1 excellent for his age. He also uses it pretty well by foot and is an effective rebounder from defence.

Sam Bevan (WA – KPF/KPD)
Height: 195cm, Weight: 80kg, DOB: 12/06/1996
Recruited from: Claremont
Style:
Player comparison:
Range: 30-rookie
Profile: A light body at this stage and a project player but has some talent. He’s for his size and type a very skilled key position player who uses it really well by foot. In front of goal he makes the most of his opportunities and rarely misses his set shot attempts. He’s a capable mark on the lead but with his lack of size not a 1v1 or contested marking threat at this point. Down back he’s a capable intercept mark reading it well and knowing when to peel off his man and can also play a reasonable shutdown role.

Cameron Conlon

I think deep down, everyone knew that Conlon was going to be overlooked. The injuries were just too much for any side to take on. It wouldn't surprise me if the recruiters all got together, and decided to pass so he could a year with no pressure to try to get back to full fitness. It will be interesting to see what 2014 holds for Conlon. There is a reason he was talked about as a top 10 pick, so if he can play some consistent football and get back to his best, where he fits in amongst all these other KPPs will be really interesting to watch.

Good call Snowy !!

s**t clubs with super high picks clean up. Shocker.

St Kilda
Patrick McCartin
Geelong Falcons
St Kilda
Hugh Goddard
Geelong Falcons
St Kilda
Daniel McKenzie
Oakleigh Chargers
St Kilda
Jack Lonie
Dandenong Stingrays

That is a great balanced draft of talent that plugs a lot of holes, lets not be dismissive.

Atley must be moving to the midfield. Our lack of speed or outside run is a bit of a worry IMO. Doesn't look good for C Delaney after drafting those 3. Durdin was a good get though. He was supposed to go early I thought

When SEN asked Brewis about rookies, he said we will take Cam Delaney and then have three more spots.

So what happened with reece Mckenzie? He was being touted as a first rounder and we were certs to take him at 25... nek minnit, pick 77?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very sure. Big power key forward? If that's Daniel then maybe, as kb would say, I have egg on my face.
Reece is the big power forward. Just asking because we were pretty keen on Daniel, apparently, for our 1st or 2nd pick. I don't think Reece was ever really labelled as a top pick from anyone other than the BF posters?

Reece is the big power forward. Just asking because we were pretty keen on Daniel, apparently, for our 1st or 2nd pick. I don't think Reece was ever really labelled as a top pick from anyone other than the BF posters?
Well I'm talking about on bf. I saw a number of posts debating whether or not we should take Reece at 16 given that he would probably be gone by 25. That being the case, I'm staggered that we didn't at least take him with 36 and that he slid to 77. Either Richmond have the steal of the Draft of BF posters have NFI.

So much faith has been put into Harper now.

Perhaps dejavu of Geelong 2007 with Stevie J after almost being traded.

If one of Harper/Garner can come good, then things look pretty.

Great post.

Harper, Garner, Turner, Mullet, McDonald, McKenzie & Atley is a very nice outside crew. Don't worry about that.

Oh and Boomer, Wells, Dal & Higgins too

We are ******* flying if Harps comes good. Even if doesn't I rate Garner very highly.

Great post.

Harper, Garner, Turner, Mullet, McDonald, McKenzie & Atley is a very nice outside crew. Don't worry about that.

Oh and Boomer, Wells, Dal & Higgins too

We are ******* flying if Harps comes good. Even if doesn't I rate Garner very highly.

I think it's clear that they think adding a healthy Garner and Harper will give us that midfield speed. It'll be great to see Atley move up the ground too.

Overall, this is a draft in preparation for 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back