Autopsy 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't speak for all Hawk fans, but, for me anyway, this Hawthorn "arrogance" is what happens when you spend your life hearing from everyone how much they hate Hawthorn, how team X will smash hawthorn, how Hawthorn is every negative thing under the sun (from supporters of other teams who probably have cause to hate or envy our success), and you dare to remind these people of their error when you win.

I have absolutely no interest in gloating over anyone who has not disrespected my team. I'd rather spend it celebrating it with fellow fans.

But if you've been a 'hater'...yes, you're going to cop some 'typical Hawthorn fan' arrogance in as big a way as possible.

The unfortunate thing thing about Big Footy, of course, is that you generalise. If anyone on Big Footy has ever hated, you get 'arrogant' on Big Footy, as if Big Footy is one person (the same way "Hawk fans" or "Collingwood fans" are all just one assimilation.)

Sigh...such a vicious circle....will there ever be a rainbow....

Anyways...

STUFF THAT1111 go eat a dick big footy
Double that...just because.

It is interesting how Hawthorn worked Sydney over physically and intimidated them. Mumford would have been more than handy. The only Swans player with size and aggression is Franklin. Tippett is soft.

I'll say it again:
The biggest gap between Geelong's flags was one year.
Geelong, from 2007-2011, never dropped out of the top 4, never missed finals entirely, and only missed one GF.
There was a four-year gap between Hawthorn's first and second flag. They missed finals in 2009, and they were eliminated in the first week in 2010.

It took Hawthorn 7 years to achieve what took Geelong 5 years. They don't have the winning percentage over that 7 years or the individual accolades that Geelong had over their 5.

They do have back-to-back, which draws the comparison more level. However, in terms of team accomplishment in recent times, taking out anything additional:

From 2007-2011: Geelong played in 5 PFs.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in 5 PFs.
From 2007-2011: Geelong won 3 flags.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn won 3 flags.
From 2007-2011: Geelong played in four grand finals, including three straight.
From 2008-2014: Hawthorn played in four grand finals, including three straight.
This whole Geelong and Hawks debate will be settled once the Hawks win another, and win it quick.

I would probably congratulate the HFC if their supporters werent insufferable flogs
if youre so averse to cheating, arnt you gonna comment on the innumerable times a 10m chip got paid a mark? Hawks have been doing it all season and they still get away with it.
Boo hoo. Man up and swallow it, don't make excuses.

I used to love watching the Swans. Now they disgust me. This was the sweetest victory ever. Suffer in your jocks.

More taxpayers' money being given to the Hawks from the Tassie government.

Meanwhile, Tasmania boasts the highest unemployment rate in the country.
Seriously you are bringing everybody down. Ok you hate Hawthorn, we get it. But show some class and let us enjoy it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't know what is worse; playing your best but not being good enough or knowing that you probably would have won had you played your best.
Hawthorns best beats Sydney's best. Period. Even if Sydney brought their A Game, they wouldn't have beat that Hawthorn team that showed up. Go you hawkers!!

Hawks fans win a flag and still whine about COLA - brilliant :p

You slaughtered a team that's obviously in Gillon's pocket by 10 goals - surely you should be celebrating the moment rather than continuing this tired debate?

P.S - we should def look at signing Hodge, an 8 year, $10m deal should fit in with our cap right? :p
You can't buy premierships, do you still not understand?

It's ok take Hodge, you already got Buddy and Kennedy and that other guy. Out with one soldier, in with another. P.s. Hodge would choose a painful death over joining Sydney.

Fev right on the money here

Hahahaha love the Fev. Tippett is a joke seriously. He is tall, that's about it. Big banana. Zero impact when it matters. Buddy only player who showed up, and he is a hawk. Thanks Buddy still love ya mate!!

What, people like the Tasmanian government, treasury and other auditors, who say the economic benefit is worth roughly 5-8 times the outlay?

One absolute buffoon here, mate, and it's you.

If the numbers didn't stack up, the government wouldn't do it. You do realise sponsorship is not a donation, don't you? It's an exchange of money for publicity that is considered economically valuable. Go learn some economics...

Ironic coming from a bloke who supports a club that only does well financially due to government handouts on a ground that does nothing other than serves the Geelong FC.

At least we bring Tassie something they otherwise wouldn't have - 4 games a year, a lot of community engagement, and a share in premiership success.

This whole Geelong and Hawks debate will be settled once the Hawks win another, and win it quick.

Boo hoo. Man up and swallow it, don't make excuses.

I used to love watching the Swans. Now they disgust me. This was the sweetest victory ever. Suffer in your jocks.

In all these years I have never seen McVeigh dive on the ball or go in hard. One of the softest players to have played the game.

Seriously you are bringing everybody down. Ok you hate Hawthorn, we get it. But show some class and let us enjoy it.

Hawthorns best beats Sydney's best. Period. Even if Sydney brought their A Game, they wouldn't have beat that Hawthorn team that showed up. Go you hawkers!!

It's ok take Hodge, you already got Buddy and Kennedy and that other guy. Out with one soldier, in with another. P.s. Hodge would choose a painful death over joining Sydney.

Hahahaha love the Fev. Tippett is a joke seriously. He is tall, that's about it. Big banana. Zero impact when it matters. Buddy only player who showed up, and he is a hawk. Thanks Buddy still love ya mate!!

Most of them have switched back to the NRL.

Back to work, joyful rant. Mwah

Perhaps it's time for BigFooty to introduce a "consecutive posts" cap. :confused:

Slight difference was that Ablett didn't leave for a direct contender. And I doubt he would of. Imagine finding out at the end of 2009 that Ablett was off to Hawthorn and he had approached them after the 08 gf... (I know haw didn't exactly 'contend' in 2010 but my point stands)

They'll be over it now, as you say, they're winners.... NOW... They were not winners before yesterday and there was a faiR bit simmering until now.

Just how I read it. Play on.

Solid post mate, sums it up perfectly.

Hawks, players and supporters, would have been ok with Buddy leaving. But to Sydney? Right after we lost to them in 2012. That's what $hits us so much. We are sick of explaining this to outsiders.

Just imagine your favourite player from your club, left to join the team you just lost to in a Grand Final. That's why they boo him, cause he ripped our hearts out. Justice prevailed, order restored. Suffer in your jocks.

It was a bit of a fizzer to watch as a neutral as Sydney never really made a contest of it but having just watched the first half again it is enjoyable to watch the brilliance of Hawthorn in full flight. Mitchell is a genius as is Burgoyne. Hodge just does everything and everybody around them just does their bit.
Talk about timing your run to have a full squad available at just the right time but what makes this such a brilliant season is how Hawthorn scrapped their way to finishing top 2 with so much adversity during the year.
I tips me hat.

The analogy with 'soldiers' is disgusting, nobody is in danger of dying.

anyhow, how good was the GF?

5773996-3x2-700x467.jpg

This is my first post for a while but I'd like to obviously say well done to my beloved Hawks but also thank you to the warm posts from supporters of other teams. Clearly there is a real respect from most learned supporters across the board to the Hawks regardless of who they support. And that is very gratifying to know that while you might not like us, you respect us and praise us for our efforts.

There's also a fair bit of talk (especially on the Swans board naturally) of the behaviour of Hawks fans at the game and in general. Well I can only speak from my personal experience and all I can say is I didn't see one incident of anti-social behaviour whatsoever. I was sitting on the ground level basically behind the Hawks cheer squad at the city end. I didn't hear one racist, sexist or homophobic comment whatsoever. Not saying other pockets of the ground didn't have some bad eggs, but my section was just fantastic. Also after the game while in the throng leaving the ground there were random high-fives going on and I saw a number of Swans fans offering up high fives as a form of congratulations as they walked past Hawks fans. I thought this was terrific. Then I walked side by side back to the city with Swans fans and not one word of aggro or carry on at all from either side. Then to top it off we stopped for a beer at Riverland on the Yarra - the place was packed and there were three Swans supporters who called us over to share their table. We brought them a beer and we had a chat about the game. Great people and great fans who love their club and were clearly hurting but were humble enough to offer up their table and have a chat about the game with some opposition fans. This is what is awesome about our game and about Australia. We can go to war for 3 hours and then have a beer afterwards and a chat then go our separate ways. Just fantastic stuff and I thank the Swans fans for realising that they were beaten by the better side on the day. Plenty of people have been quick to focus on the negatives of crowd behaviour - I'm happy to focus on the positives. Well done all.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back