Preview 2014 AFL Grand Final - Sydney vs Hawthorn, MCG, 2.30pm, Saturday Sept 27th

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
All I can tell from the past week is that the Hawks MAY mess with their team to the point that they compromise what has actually got them this far.
It started with the Box Hill Hawks a few weeks ago where they twisted the rules to allow McEvoy to play & in the GF Rioli was on & off the ground to Clarko's wishes & sat out the whole last quarter when the team needed him.

This made a mockery of the VFLs show piece game.

I think Clarko is smart enough to know that Rioli isn't best 22 at this point in time & unlike supporters, he won't think of what Rioli can do when he is at peak fitness. In a high intensity GF, you play a match fit Simpkin every day of the week ahead of a player that hasn't played for 9 weeks at the highest level.
Even as a sub would be risky should there be a Lewis like injury to a player early in the game, where he needs to be subbed. Rioli just won't be up to it.

No rules were twisted by the Hawks with McEvoy. We just made a submission and it was granted (within the rules as consideration is allowed to be given to that sort of circumstance).

However, the Rioli thing.........I tend to agree. I'm really nervous about the call there. But he's so delicious :p.....

Cannot believe Stevic got a gig after the Port game..... :eek:

He payed frees to the Hawks all night and was responsible for the soft Gunston hold from 50m away early to give the Hawks a sniff and a free goal not to mention over 7 frees for them in the 2nd Qtr alone.

What a joke and Sydney will be up against another man now.
2 actually. Nicholls isn't known for his impartiality. Meredith is the only reasonable umpire of that lot. Stevic is laughable.

Cosy dinner at Gil's - "hey Matt Stevic loves the Hawks so let's make sure he gets a gig in the GF, if he can get them across the line in the PF". There's polite laughter amongst the Melbourne presidents and coaches (well, Eddie sfellows) and it's made to happen.

A Syds fan suggesting the AFL favour another team. No shame.

I really see this as a line ball Gand Final. Every year Buddy has played in a Grand Final or some other key forward we hear
the same thing...who's going to stop Cloke, Roo, Roughy, Buddy, ect....
Its more likely going to be Mcglynn, Parker, Smith or Hill kicking 3 that will make a big difference.

Exactly. The media really have no idea at times. Last year it was Fremantle's pressure, this year it's Buddy. Only kicked 6 goals in 3 grand finals and all of a sudden expected to kick 6 in one match!

A Syds fan suggesting the AFL favour another team. No shame.
Walk a mile in our footy boots...

edit: Just for the record, I never buy into umpiring conspiracy theories, whether for or against my team, or or for or against anyone else's. Life is too short.

Just saying, in any situation where there are two extreme views, the truth is actually often somewhere remarkably close to the middle.

Exactly. The media really have no idea at times. Last year it was Fremantle's pressure, this year it's Buddy. Only kicked 6 goals in 3 grand finals and all of a sudden expected to kick 6 in one match!

That's what people said about his performances in prelim finals until last weekend, and he could have kicked 10. He looks a better big-game player this time round.

Just going to have to take the word of Matt's local newspaper for some clearly unbiased opinion on the umpires. ;)

mattstevic_zpsc242fc16.jpg

Just going to have to take the word of Matt's local newspaper for some clearly unbiased opinion on the umpires. ;)

mattstevic_zpsc242fc16.jpg

So one of the other umpires made a mistake by giving a free against the Hawks. Of course that means should get Matt the gig.

Gibson may as well bring handcuffs and duct tape to the Grand Final - he'll be able to use them on Buddy with impunity. I wonder if Josh knows any sleeper holds?

So one of the other umpires made a mistake by giving a free against the Hawks. Of course that means should get Matt the gig.

Gibson may as well bring handcuffs and duct tape to the Grand Final - he'll be able to use them on Buddy with impunity. I wonder if Josh knows any sleeper holds?

Newspapers don't lie mate. Especially regional ones reporting on their own local's achievements.

No, But Brian's not bad at the sleeper.

I'm predicting supporters to jump on every slightly dodgy umpiring decision as the momentum changer that lost them the game just in case they lose.

How about if it goes to the 2012 script and the Hawks are gifted twice the number of frees as the Swans?

What would be funny is if the umpires over-compensated for their Hawks bias and the Swans miraculously won the free kick count - and the game because of it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How about if it goes to the 2012 script and the Hawks are gifted twice the number of frees as the Swans?

What would be funny is if the umpires over-compensated for their Hawks bias and the Swans miraculously won the free kick count - and the game because of it.

what like port having +4 free kicks last week

Did you see the 2008 Grand Final free kick count against the Hawks? We are not always gifted. lol

No rules were twisted by the Hawks with McEvoy. We just made a submission and it was granted (within the rules as consideration is allowed to be given to that sort of circumstance).

However, the Rioli thing.........I tend to agree. I'm really nervous about the call there. But he's so delicious :p.....

Oh I get what you mean.

Sounds like our cost of living allowance.............................you know..............no rules broken!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back