2014 Breakout Players

Remove this Banner Ad

So many kids on the dogs list that could have a breakout year I dunno who to choose :p

One of last years draftees in Hunter, Hrovat or Stringer (who are all still eligible for rs) could just about take it out I reckon, they all showed what they are capable of this year.

After a swathe of people criticised Roo for his Rising Star votes, they will all act surprised as Crouch builds on his efforts.

Grigg for mine from Adelaide.

JOM and Wines should also be able to step up another notch.

That's true but when Buddy didn't play, Gunston was the 2nd forward and has a much higher goal average than when Buddy did play. He showed he can handle it.

He has shown he can handle it for sure.

His test will come now that teams realise he is a gun and can kill teams if let to do what he wants.

Teams will now actually put time into Gunston in terms of planning. That's where we will see how good he goes.

Really hope either Kreuzer or Gibbs have one.

Brad Hill from the Hawks will become a better Cyril, I reckon. Though that might be over the course of several seasons...

I can't see Gaff breaking out, now or in the near future, his greatest weapon was his running power, but he's been shown up as susceptible to a run with player.

Doesn't win enough of his own ball, pretty hard win you're playing a mans game in a boys body. Another safe pick that has back fired for West Coast.

I get your point but he's already had a break out season.

Thread title *2014 breakout players*

Had a good run when he was allowed space, now just another small framed, slow paced midfielder at West Coast.

That list through the middle is diabolically bad.

Most dynamic mid is Shuey, followed by Masten. Scary bad.

jack martin the midfielder version of cyril
and cyril rioli to have a break out season too :)
n the post b4 about how gunston will b worked on etc etc, its hard to stop a player who kicks a goal 90% of the time from a set shot, several passes to a quick lead n mark will pretty much = goal.. so he should score more goals and have a breakout season too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tosser. Like most people who only have free to air tv, in SA we only get 2 or 3 games total on the tv every weekend, 2 of them are SA games, we simply don't get to see much of other teams when we are not involved. I'd think it better to say 'not qualified to comment' rather than pretending to know when you don't, as happens on here all the time.

This explains Roo's rising star voting.

It's gotta be Neville Jetta's year sometime, right? :D

Bumped from September 30, 2013. Said in sarcasm then, but actually proved to be accurate. Reinvented himself as a back pocket, and earnt himself another AFL contract. Seriously, well done to the bloke.

Last edited:
From West Coast I reckon Hutchings will have a big year especially if he gets more games

Outside West Coast I reckon Luke Parker from Sydney. Had a good end to 2013 and with Bolton gone can play more of a mid/ fwd rotation
Pretty decent post. Hutchings found a good run-with role, and Parker arguably stepped up to an elite level.

Jesse Lonergan, Jake Stringer, Claye Beams, Johno Patton, Jared Polec, Jamie Cripps, Jackson Thurlow,Troy Menzel, Patrick Karnezis, Joe Daniher, Tom Lee.
Damn son chose 11 players and still didn't get a single one right lmao

edit: Except for Polec as poster below pointed out. Still 1/11 strike rate is pretty ordinary.

Last edited:
Damn son chose 11 players and still didn't get a single one right lmao

edit: Except for Polec as poster below pointed out. Still 1/11 strike rate is pretty ordinary.
Cripps, Menzel, Daniher, Patton and Stringer all took steps forward. But some pretty high draft picks there, so none of them were huge shocks. 1 right, a couple of mini ticks!

Bumped from September 30, 2013. Said in sarcasm then, but actually proved to be accurate. Reinvented himself as a back pocket, and earnt himself another AFL contract. Seriously, well done to the bloke.
You called it!

I was pissed when he was re-rookied.

Credit to him though, I like his game style. It's high percentage and should be easier to back up this year than if he had exploded onto the scene.

Other break-out players at the Dees were Lynden Dunn and Dom Tyson.

You called it!

I was pissed when he was re-rookied.

Credit to him though, I like his game style. It's high percentage and should be easier to back up this year than if he had exploded onto the scene.

Other break-out players at the Dees were Lynden Dunn and Dom Tyson.

Dunn is 27 years old so his bekaout year is about 4 years overdue. Tyson went at pick 3 so his "breakout year" in his third year is nothing less than what you'd expect from a midfielder

Remove this Banner Ad

Back