2014 Draft - Overrated and Underrated

Remove this Banner Ad

Overrated - Pickett
Underrated - Garlett

I'd take Garlett first, without hesitation.

Anyone who's watched them consistently playing side by side at Souths would laugh at this.

See the prelim. Garlett easily shut down for the most part, while Pickett nearly wins it for Souths.
http://www.wafl.com.au/games/view/9997

Pickett breaks games open like few players, Garlett gets the ball after someone else has made the space. Now this could change but there is nothing to suggest it. Picking Garlett over Pickett would be nothing but whimsical.

Overrated - Pickett
Underrated - Garlett

I'd take Garlett first, without hesitation.

Lol you haven't watched both.
Garlett generates no footy of his own, he solely rely's on it being dished out to him.
As ER said Garlett has been overrated at the moment.
Brad Hill was drafted in late 30's and Garlett as produced similar to him.
Hopefully he has as good as career.
Pickett class is on another level to Garlett.
Garlett himself would say the exact same thing.

Anyone who's watched them consistently playing side by side at Souths would laugh at this.

See the prelim. Garlett easily shut down for the most part, while Pickett nearly wins it for Souths.

Pickett breaks games open like few players, Garlett gets the ball after someone else has made the space. Now this could change but there is nothing to suggest it. Picking Garlett over Pickett would be nothing but whimsical.
Interesting that LemmingMaster thinks Pickett is a downhill skier and would run around a wall compared to Clem Smith. Thinks he's been hidden as a forward for this reason. Posted that VM shut Pickett down as a small forward, whereas, SA couldn't stop him.

Interesting that LemmingMaster thinks Pickett is a downhill skier and would run around a wall compared to Clem Smith. Thinks he's been hidden as a forward for this reason. Posted that VM shut Pickett down as a small forward, whereas, SA couldn't stop him.

Does not change the fact Pickett does create amazing plays.

I cannot remember the quote, someone said Pickett was tough at the ball compared to Smith, I cannot remember now. It was completely wrong.

Does not change the fact Pickett does create amazing plays.

I cannot remember the quote, someone said Pickett was tough at the ball compared to Smith, I cannot remember now. It was completely wrong.
More info is always good until the draft settles and the order becomes clear.

I still trust the professionals and experienced heads over those who criticise recruiting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nailed it

Anyone who thinks garlett is even in the same ball park as Pickett is deluded

The way he delivers the ball inside 50 is invaluable, basically gifts his team an uncontested mark + set shot.

Yep, and I didn't realise how much contested ball he wins and just how clean he is with it. Very strong mark too. His poor games are very poor but a few of those came about this year due to injury. I'd prefer Duggan, Weller or a few others for the Tigers but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we picked him. Would you want him at the Dons? Good get at 17 if he gets through I reckon.

Yep, and I didn't realise how much contested ball he wins and just how clean he is with it. Very strong mark too. His poor games are very poor but a few of those came about this year due to injury. I'd prefer Duggan, Weller or a few others for the Tigers but it wouldn't be the end of the world if we picked him. Would you want him at the Dons? Good get at 17 if he gets through I reckon.
SHHHHH! Let everyone think he's inconsistent! On a serious note I would love to have him at 17, good mix of inside and outside, his elite kicking would help our inside 50 score conversion rate and he's versatile. I feel we would need to take him at 17 because Carlton would take him meaning he wouldn't last til 20.

I'm starting to think Corey Ellis is a bit underrated.
Agree with this. Lot of posters have gone off him, would be more than happy for the Saints to pick him up at 21. Love the look of his foot skills.

FWIW, my list:

Underrated - Ellis, Menadue, R.McKenzie, Durdin
Overrated - Ahern, Garlett, Cockatoo.

Durdin & McKenzie have high bust potential which is somewhat contradictory, however I think the upside for both is massive. I also think Cockatoo could turn out to be awesome, just feel his stocks have risen way too much off the back of 1 game. Would be a pretty risky pick within the top 20 in my opinion.

Lol you haven't watched both.
Garlett generates no footy of his own, he solely rely's on it being dished out to him.
As ER said Garlett has been overrated at the moment.
Brad Hill was drafted in late 30's and Garlett as produced similar to him.
Hopefully he has as good as career.
Pickett class is on another level to Garlett.
Garlett himself would say the exact same thing.
That's the thing. Hill went in the 30's but right now he'd go way up the top of his draft class. Garlett might be outside as anything but if he's elite as a running outside player then what else does he need to do?

That type of player is a pain in a bad side but in a good side (see Hawthorn and Hill) it's super valuable.

Pickett has more class for sure. But he's small as well. Probably wont ever be an inside mid at AFL level or a back flanker, both are hard to do at 177cm. You're looking at a crumbing forward/high half forward who then builds his tank and hopefully then becomes a wingman anyway.

No doubt overall Pickett has more talent. I'd take him first, I agree it's wrong to say otherwise. But I'd rather take Garlett with pick 25 than Pickett inside the top 10.

Overated - Dillon Viojo-Rainbow

His playing ability is pretty good and I'd love for Collingwood too get him but I think he gets too much attention and over-hyped because of his name.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back