Mega Thread 2014 Drafts complete

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not the garbled answer that concerns me, it's that a) his brother's best mate is SAM BLEASE, and b) that he believes Sam will be successful at a successful club and failed at Melbourne because it's Melbourne.

Reading far too much into that, it's more along the lines of he needed a change of scenery and he'll flourish (Blease won't though).

Hardly a jab at Melbourne.

Reading far too much into that, it's more along the lines of he needed a change of scenery and he'll flourish (Blease won't though).

Hardly a jab at Melbourne.
Hopefully you're right. His body language became fairly uncomfortable halfway through the answer, when he was otherwise very confident and relaxed until that point throughout the entire interview. Maybe it came across differently in real life as compared to a transcript.

Anyway, Roos basically confirmed we're taking 2 of the 3 "top 3 players" so I'd say it's a fait accompli that he's a Demon if the Saints pass him up.

I think he worked out what he was getting at and then realised he needed to save himself. Don't like it, but that's where his mind is at.

Can the kid play footy and will be be a good part of the Melbourne footy club for the next 10 years?

That should be all that matters. They're under such a microscope these days it's ridiculous. That player getting crossed off because his room was messy. Farcical. AFL coaches/recruiters thinking they're a lot smarter than they are.

From today's presser:
Journo: Have you spoken to any other players [in preparation]?
Petracca: Just Ollie Wines and Jordan Lewis and my brother's best mate Sam Blease who just went to Geelong has been coming over quite a lot. I'm just getting advice from him. He's someone who had a rough start to his AFL career and it's always good to get knowledge off someone who umm... is expected to be a good player and um... sorta, I guess just the hard work... sort of didn't pay off for him. But I think now that he's gone to a different club he'll... I think he'll shine... the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yikes. I think we can see why rumours of Roos being disinterested are bubbling to the surface. Petracca realised halfway through that answer that maybe he shouldn't continue down that path.

Conversely, Angus was glowing about the chance to play under Roos when questioned. Also said he would be stoked if he went to the Dees with his great mate Petracca. Eh!
Terrible answer but actually I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. Nervous teenagers who may not be good with their words to begin with = awkward moments like this. Wouldn't be reading too much into it.

You know they say one mans stupidity is another mans gain. Or it goes something like that.
You guys must be laughing your a$$ off.
I think im gona follow Racca all the way to the Dees members tent.
Without doubt we must be the dumbest club in the history of the afl.

I wouldn't call it stupidity, McCartin is going to be a seriously good player and under the tutelage of Riewoldt could blossom into a superstar.

From the HS
The Herald Sun understands the Saints have settled on the 194cm goalkicker, who has been likened to Hawthorn spearhead Jarryd Roughead.
It means the man widely tipped to go No.1 in recent months, explosive midfielder Christian Petracca, will be available for Melbourne to pick alongside tough onballer Angus Brayshaw with picks 2 and 3.
But in a late surprise, it is believed the Dees are considering overlooking Petracca in favour of 203cm forward Peter Wright.
Melbourne is expected to decide on Thursday morning on whether it needs another tall goalkicker to partner Jesse Hogan instead of Petracca’s X-factor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Paul Roos as good as settled it on the news earlier.

Brayshaw and Petracca it is!!...

Paul Roos has all but confirmed Melbourne will select Christian Petracca with one of its two top three picks in Thursday's national draft.

There was talk the tough Eastern Ranges midfielder could slip as low as pick 5 for Collingwood to swoop.

But Roos poured cold water on that theory.

While refusing to declare the Demons' hand, he barely hid it.

“I can tell you that Christian Petracca will not be playing for Collingwood,” he said on Sports Today.

“You can read into that what you want to.”

The Melbourne coach said the three standouts in tomorrow night’s draft are Paddy McCartin, Christian Petracca and Angus Brayshaw.

“From my point of view at the moment what I’ve seen I think those players are just a little bit ahead of the other guys.”

3AW’s Sam McClure believes Paddy McCartin will go at number one to St Kilda, which leaves Melbourne with Petracca and Brayshaw, which Roos is happy with.

“We’d be more than happy to get any combination of two of those three players.”

If petracca is available and we skip I'll ruddy burn down the entire city
papa.jpg

Can't believe everything might come up Melbourne for once.

I refuse to believe. I've been hurt too many times.

You know they say one mans stupidity is another mans gain. Or it goes something like that.
You guys must be laughing your a$$ off.
I think im gona follow Racca all the way to the Dees members tent.
Without doubt we must be the dumbest club in the history of the afl.

It's an extremely unlucky position for you guys to be in, having pick 1 when the top 3 players are considerably difficult to split. You get all the pressure to try picking the best while we get the remainder of the top 3.

It's made all the more better by McCartin being the risky project tall of the group whereas the other 2 look likely to hit the ground running at AFL level as early as next year.

Would've been happy with Brayshaw & McCartin but Brayshaw & Petracca is far more appealing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back