2014 Trade/FA Discussions

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, which is pretty far removed from Raines, to be honest, who tends not to shirk the contest.
a 22 year old Raines was a HBF who wasn't comfortable in contested situations... it takes times for these things to improve. Saying that though looks as though Lucas won't be given extra time to iron out deficiencies. He does remind me of a young Raines.

a 22 year old Raines was a HBF who wasn't comfortable in contested situations... it takes times for these things to improve. Saying that though looks as though Lucas won't be given extra time to iron out deficiencies. He does remind me of a young Raines.
You didn't say young Raines, though.

You paid close attention to Raines in his early career?

We won't stop until our team is entirely made up of the 08 draft class and ranga Taswegians.

Can only be good.

And as I've said before, completely does away with the Go Home factor. It's every young Tassie footballer's dream to get the big call-up from an AFL club, doesn't matter where.

Of course, this will only apply until we get a Tassie-based team. Which will probably be never.

Even if the comparison is apt (and I personally don't see it)... I am not sure you would go hard for a discarded player from another club in the hope they might develop into a similar player to the fringe tagger that you delisted in the same list management period.

Even if the comparison is apt (and I personally don't see it)... I am not sure you would go hard for a discarded player from another club in the hope they might develop into a similar player to the fringe tagger that you delisted in the same list management period.

Appreciate the communication, but he's hanging onto a bit there I reckon. Merrett explanation doesn't really add up without reading through the lines.

Last edited:
I agree. Luckily no one here seems to want him even if he was essentially part of the Fevola trade. Robinson on the other hand I wanted since Swann got talking to him and hopefully he comes to us.

Appreciate the communication, but he's hanging onto a bit there I reckon. Merrett explanation doesn't really add up without reading through the lines.

You can see him practically biting his tongue at the end of that question.

Why r some of us being so harsh on Claye Beams for? he has been the in luckiest guy on out list. He has only completed 1 ever pre-season and then was BOG until he got hurt. He will be in our first 22.

Also would be very happy if we signed both Robinson and Hunt. Think they would compliment our list. No to all the other free agents.

Why r some of us being so harsh on Claye Beams for? he has been the in luckiest guy on out list. He has only completed 1 ever pre-season and then was BOG until he got hurt. He will be in our first 22.

Also would be very happy if we signed both Robinson and Hunt. Think they would compliment our list. No to all the other free agents.

This I agree with, with the one proviso that with a full prep under the belt he regains some of his pace- never the best feature of his game in the first place.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its not quite the Rob Kerr trade summary essays. They were so frank and interesting. This is really just the standard, well reported stuff, a shame really

Just found this video of Robbo, not sure if it's been posted yet. His best is certainly much better than Raines - could be a very decent player if he gets his head in the right place. Maybe not elite, but definitely best 22 at his best.

Thought Schwab was excellent, unfortunately recruitment of any kind is hardly as sexy or as interesting as we all want it to be. The Merrett thing just seems like a few issues coach and player need to work through. I would think Merrett goes back with the Luey and Martin fit. Amazing how being competitive and winning can change things fast. Let's hope we get on the board early 2015.

There's an article going around with Swann saying Robinson would fit in well here and do quite nicely. I'm prepared to back his call given his previous experience with him. At worst Robinson is a better depth player than Raines or Polkinghorne...

I just hope Mitch Robinson wears his hat around the right way if he joins the Lions.
And not at 45 degrees
And with the temperature up here at 45 degrees Celsius he had also better wear a hat that suits the climate and slop the sun screen on as he will look like a beetroot after his 1st training session. And that is good advice for free from someone that burns in the dark!

It wasn't the coaches, he just struggled to adapt to the new sliding rule. Up to then he'd impacted a lot of contests by sliding low into them (crazy-brave style). He's durable and will never be accused of being a spectator. Our loss, your gain. Enjoy.

Yes, it was. They wanted him to stop going to ground so much. The way he's played his whole life is to dive head first into a pack. Watch the highlight video up a bit higher. That was mostly a few years ago, before he got put into different roles and given different plans, the rule had nothing to do with it..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back