2015 Draft, Trade & Free Agent Discussion & Speculation Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jetta is very hot and cold but when he hot is an excellent player, been very hot this year IMO.

IMO Clarke will either go or will sign a five year deal with the money getting higher as it gets towards the end and some of Freo big earners retire. Would not be surprised if the swans are not eyeing up Clarke would fit in very well with their list needs and age.

West Coast in 2006 is the standard bearer for a premiership won with sub standard tall forwards, but even then their tall forwards were better than Freo's non-Pavlich tall forwards, and their elite midfielders were some margin better than Freo's non-Fyfe mids. And in saying that, they weren't that great a side in the scheme of things - had nowhere near the depth or consistency of the Geelong or Hawthorn sides that came after them. Those years 05 and 06 were quite weak relative to seasons before and after.
You can't simply hope that history repeats - you have to find a way to reach the level of Hawthorn or Geelong. That's what every club needs to be striving for, as difficult as that is.
Still Remember Quentin Lynchs 3 top years stats: 31 goals from 22 games in 2005, 65 from 25 games in 2006 then 52 goals from 24 games in 2007. Also I dont recall any gun tall forwards from the swans 2012 premiership team either.

Word is that he's heading home to Geelong though.
Only reason he'd come to us is for more cash.
Do not want then. Tarrant all over again.
Funny you mentioned chris Tarrant. Still Remember that in famous trade. Pick 12 and Polak for pick 8. Pick 8 and medhurst for Tarrant. Maybe Trade our 1st round pick and Sheridan to get pick 10? If not we might use a late pick or PSD pick to get a 21-25 year old mature aged guy playing in country Victoria.

Thats not what I said. Clarke + Pick for McCarthy OR Pick plus Moller for Coniglio (boost midfield and swing Fyfe forward). Not both of them.

Both those deals would seriously be laughed at though.

McCarthy is kicking 2.2 goals per game and on track for a 50 goal season in his first full season in the AFL (he only played one game last year) and he's only 20 years old.

He would cost us a truck load.

McCarthy is kicking 2.2 goals per game and on track for a 50 goal season in his first full season in the AFL (he only played one game last year) and he's only 20 years old.

I'm not certain he would cost anyway near what's being bandied about for Dixon and IMO he be a much better get, don't think Giants are looking to trade though, maybe Clarke and Silvagni as their short on defenders and a second ruck to Mummy.

I'm not certain he would cost anyway near what's being bandied about for Dixon and IMO he be a much better get, don't think Giants are looking to trade though, maybe Clarke and Silvagni as their short on defenders and a second ruck to Mummy.

You don't legit think Zac & Silvagni would get us mccarthy?

It would be those two & our first atleast! And id do it in a heartbeat.

You don't legit think Zac & Silvagni would get us mccarthy?

It would be those two & our first atleast! And id do it in a heartbeat.

You might be right but Zac is the new modern ruck, mobile around the ground, he's just played behind Sandi so I think we sell him short at times. He was fantastic the year Clarke and griff went down and the Giants could use him.

Dumb move if we actively offload Clarke IMO.
Sandi's next year could possibly come with injury as the likelihood of another full year this year takes its toll.
It's been discussed ad nauseum here about our backup ruck stocks - yes we have a lot but are they quality, no not really.

Dumb move if we actively offload Clarke IMO.
Sandi's next year could possibly come with injury as the likelihood of another full year this year takes its toll.
It's been discussed ad nauseum here about our backup ruck stocks - yes we have a lot but are they quality, no not really.
If Clarke goes it would only be because he wants to I reckon. After one of the best apprenticeships a ruckman could ever get, it would be crazy to let him go on the verge of his teachers retirement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Clarke goes it would only be because he wants to I reckon. After one of the best apprenticeships a ruckman could ever get, it would be crazy to let him go on the verge of his teachers retirement.

IMO Clarke wants to stay but what's his value, if big $$$ get offered from other clubs and we're spending $750g on Dixon, Clarke might think it's in his best interest to take the $$$. With the players having more say on where they want to play now it will be a very interesting trade week.

Just had a look at Hawthorns list and they have recruited about 8 players from other clubs : Gibson ( Nth Melb),McEvoy ( St Kilda ),Burgoyne ( Port ),Frawley ( Melb), Lake (Bulldogs),Hale ( Nth Melb),Spanger (WC), Gunston ( Adel) . I know we have tried to get players but you can see why Hawthorn have remained at the top for so many years, they don't always wait to rebuilt, they continually top up their deficiencies whilst they built up the young draftees.

And that list above is basically Hawthorn's entire group of first choice talls, apart from Roughead (who was a top draft pick). Shows how hard it can be to get them from regular drafting. Good idea to take them from someone else, unfortunately nobody wants to come to Freo.

With 5 of the top 15 picks in this years draft tied to clubs under the Eastern States Academies here is yet further evidence of the compromised draft:

GREATER Western Sydney's first access to top talent from the Riverina looks set to continue, with the leading player in the division two under-16 championships attached to the Giants academy. Charlie Spargo, the son of former North Melbourne and Brisbane Bears player Paul, claimed the Alan McLean Medal as the best player for the division two carnival after an exciting week for NSW-ACT. A number of 2016 draft prospects tied to the Giants have already shown their ability as members of the NSW-ACT under-18 team, including Harrison Macreadie, Will Setterfield, Zac Sproule and Kobe Mutch.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-07-13/giants-unearth-another-top-academy-prospect

Not sure about the others (Bris, GC, GWS), but I am sure they have all the best talent out of QLD and NSW locked up.

Just had a look at Hawthorns list and they have recruited about 8 players from other clubs : Gibson ( Nth Melb),McEvoy ( St Kilda ),Burgoyne ( Port ),Frawley ( Melb), Lake (Bulldogs),Hale ( Nth Melb),Spanger (WC), Gunston ( Adel) . I know we have tried to get players but you can see why Hawthorn have remained at the top for so many years, they don't always wait to rebuilt, they continually top up their deficiencies whilst they built up the young draftees.

We have gone after a number of players, but lets face it Fremantle isn't a sexy cub to play for and travel is a disadvantage in recruiting players especially from Melbourne clubs.

Bond and the management have a great job in getting a war chest but no one wants to come.

Could you imagine what people on this board would say if we recruited someone like Spangher? But the truth is he'd be a certain starter in our 22 at the moment.

I reckon we will go hard during trade period and offer a club overs for key forwards if we don´t win the cup this year with some big names potentially forming part of a deal in order to get a currently contracted player.

I am still not sure though whether our forward problems stems from purely personnel reasons, or whether the game plan also plays a part in it. We seem to be so structured that our forwards often are not allowed to play their natural attacking game, perhaps thinking more of keeping their position in a certain place to stop a counterattack rather than attacking (not that it helped against the Hawks!). Perhaps a bit of both.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back