2015 Ladder Predictions

Remove this Banner Ad

North were the only team to beat every top 10 team last year, so don't think we'd be too worried about the draw. We have proved that we can match it with the big boys, so a top 4 finish is very realistic as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your saying the difference between Sydney and carlton is almost nothing (assuming you have dogs Brisbane gws saints melbourne 14-18)...yeah good luck with that. Sticking your head out is one thing but let's see Gold Coast make even top 5 this year let alone 2nd..

Hawks are good but they aren't in a league above every single team, of which those next 12 teams are all about even. Just here to cause controversy or...?
check again I didn't have Carlton in my top 13.

I don't think it unreasonable to consider your post at least a little disrespectful of Hawthorn. Your conclusion that the Grand Final was won because of a "tough" first quarter undervalues the performance of the winners and disrespects the mettle of the losers regardless of what twisted way you want to spin it. Hawthorn have beaten Sydney five out of the six times they have played since losing in 2012 so their GF win last year shouldn't be considered some kind of lucky break in which the Swans were a little unsettled by a physical first quarter.

I haven't actually seen one supporter say they are annoyed to have to play Kangaroos twice...
It was more of a reference to how we've improved as a club, and how after making the prelims last year, playing the Kangaroos twice is now considered a part of a rough draw.

I don't think it unreasonable to consider your post at least a little disrespectful of Hawthorn. Your conclusion that the Grand Final was won because of a "tough" first quarter undervalues the performance of the winners and disrespects the mettle of the losers regardless of what twisted way you want to spin it. Hawthorn have beaten Sydney five out of the six times they have played since losing in 2012 so their GF win last year shouldn't be considered some kind of lucky break in which the Swans were a little unsettled by a physical first quarter.

Sorry if it seemed that I disrespected the win. Hawthorn's performance on grand final day was great and they deserved a premiership.

I just don't think the grand final performance means as much as you and many others think in terms of where the teams are at, and I definitely don't think they can claim to be clear of the pack.

I went to the prelim and Port were clearly the better team, even at the end when they hadn't had the week's rest.

Sydney came into the grand final as favourites with most tipping them as a better team than Hawthorn. Many of Sydney's stars are younger than Hawthorn's too. Hawthorn won convincingly on the day, but that does change the situation or reality of it. The three teams were about even last year. Hawks were not as good as the year before. Young guys early in their careers won replace the drop off from old stars enough to see Hawthorn keep with Port if they continue to improve or Sydney. It is wishful thinking to believe otherwise.

Where back again. Several of your statements simply can't go unchallenged. Given the loss of key players ( Mitchell,Lake,Gibson, Rioli,Shields,Stratton) for extended periods throughout the 2014 season the effort in winning 17 games was exceptional and makes your assertion that Hawthorn were not as good as 2013 simply incorrect. Port outplayed us for one and a half quarters so to claim they were clearly the better side in the Prelim is just an example of an anti Hawthorn bias clouding your view. The claim that Sydney's younger players are of a higher quality than those at Hawthorn is just poppycock. Had it not been for one of Sydney's "older" players in Franklin the Bloods wouldn't have gotten near the 17 wins they had in the regular season. I would put Suckling,Smith,Hill,Bruest,Langford,Rioli,Stratton and Gunston up against the Sydney youngsters any day of the week. Through necessity the Hawks gave a lot of games to youngsters last year that didn't make the GF team. I guess you just assume none of them will improve this year and break into the side. You obviously think that Hawthorns older players are ready to fall off the perch ( unlike Sydney's or Ports ) which may be more wishful thinking than any kind of proper analysis given their output last year. Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne....didn't look to be about to turn up their toes in the finals last year to me. Roughead, Lewis, Birchall are all in their prime years. There are far less question marks about Hawthorn than Port or Sydney.

Went through Round by Round, 1 because I'm bored at work & 2 because I have no life.

Code:
HAW    22    19    3
PTA    22    18    4
SYD    22    17    5
NTH    22    16    6
FRE    22    15    7
GEE    22    15    7
RIC    22    13    9
WCE    22    13    9
-----------------------------------------------
ADL    22    12   10
BRI    22    11   11
ESS    22    10   12
COL    22    10   12
WBD    22    8    14
CAR    22    8    14
GCS    22    4    18
GWS    22    3    19
MEL    22    3    19
STK    22    2    20

Reasonably happy with that, though I think the bottom 4 will squeeze in a few more wins. Unsure where though.

North could potentially be 2 and 6 after 8 rounds.

If they stay relatively injury free, will go in favourites in the last 10 games.

if they somehow get to 5 and 3 after 8 then anything could happen

I've thought deeply about the Kangaroos prospects based on their 2014 wins, their finals campaign, their recruitment period, and their preseason form.

Sadly, I see the Kangaroos as a premiership threat. They have the ability to finish TOP TWO. (I say this despite North being one of my top 3 hated teams).

They're a big chance to finish above Port too, IMO.

If you've read my posts i don't want you taking a spot that could be ours in the top 4 because of your piss easy draw. You are a good side IN REGULAR SEASON. Come finals, you are rabble so whoever gets you is very lucky. That doesn't excuse how much of a choke it would be if you didn't make top 4 with your 'slightly easier' schedule (best 3 teams in the afl once and all at home.. But Yep just slightly easier ;) LOL)
3110rohans_draw.jpg

Beleive it or not, a top 4 position is not yours. It belongs to the team that earns it, there is no god given right to it.

The arrogant presumption that you have a right to that position has all the hallmarks of Archilles' hubris before the gods.

Rohan Connolly, one of the more respected AFL journalists gives a fair summation of this years draw. Going by your illogical argument, Geelong should be angered that you have an easier draw than they do. Also, how do Sydney have an easier draw than North after they pumped us like the neighbour's cat in the Preliminary final?

I guess we better get JB onto it. How dare Sydney have an easier draw than us.

Watching Port fail to reach the GF this year will be one of the better viewing highlights during the next off-season.

Went through Round by Round, 1 because I'm bored at work & 2 because I have no life.

Code:
HAW    22    19    3
PTA    22    18    4
SYD    22    17    5
NTH    22    16    6
FRE    22    15    7
GEE    22    15    7
RIC    22    13    9
WCE    22    13    9
-----------------------------------------------
ADL    22    12   10
BRI    22    11   11
ESS    22    10   12
COL    22    10   12
WBD    22    8    14
CAR    22    8    14
GCS    22    4    18
GWS    22    3    19
MEL    22    3    19
STK    22    2    20

Reasonably happy with that, though I think the bottom 4 will squeeze in a few more wins. Unsure where though.

How could you possibly be happy with that? There is no way in hell that Gold Coast will ever finish that low.

Where back again. Several of your statements simply can't go unchallenged. Given the loss of key players ( Mitchell,Lake,Gibson, Rioli,Shields,Stratton) for extended periods throughout the 2014 season the effort in winning 17 games was exceptional and makes your assertion that Hawthorn were not as good as 2013 simply incorrect. Port outplayed us for one and a half quarters so to claim they were clearly the better side in the Prelim is just an example of an anti Hawthorn bias clouding your view. The claim that Sydney's younger players are of a higher quality than those at Hawthorn is just poppycock. Had it not been for one of Sydney's "older" players in Franklin the Bloods wouldn't have gotten near the 17 wins they had in the regular season. I would put Suckling,Smith,Hill,Bruest,Langford,Rioli,Stratton and Gunston up against the Sydney youngsters any day of the week. Through necessity the Hawks gave a lot of games to youngsters last year that didn't make the GF team. I guess you just assume none of them will improve this year and break into the side. You obviously think that Hawthorns older players are ready to fall off the perch ( unlike Sydney's or Ports ) which may be more wishful thinking than any kind of proper analysis given their output last year. Hodge, Mitchell, Gibson, Burgoyne....didn't look to be about to turn up their toes in the finals last year to me. Roughead, Lewis, Birchall are all in their prime years. There are far less question marks about Hawthorn than Port or Sydney.

It seems it's my opinion vs yours, and our opinions differ. You can pick and choose facts to make arguments either way. We'll see at the end of the year who is right :).

I could argue that if Geelong had more fitness we would've continued to own Hawthorn in the second halves of the last two games we played. Or that if Geelong had fit rucks, more than one decent fit KP forward, and fit forwardline crumbers, we would've been minor premiers last year and maybe seen you in the GF. But hypotheticals are just hypotheticals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1. Hawthorn - Best in the biz, slight concern over midfield age.
2. North Melbourne - Like everything I've seen of Waite and Higgins, Wells almost a new recruit, beat the best last year.
3. Port Adelaide - Will continue to improve, but I don't think it's likely they'll have as good an injury run this year and I don't rate their depth.
4. Sydney - Will be in the fight but losing Malceski and Mumford in last two years will hurt. Don't see much improvement from 2014 and NM and PTA will go past them.
5. Adelaide - This year's bolter. Like everything I've heard from Phil Walsh and they have too much top end talent not to be a top team. Need defensive help.
6. Gold Coast - Rocket will continue the natural growth of this squad. Look out in 2016.
7. Geelong - Too good to fall apart despite age of list. Clark and Hawkins will trouble many defences but big worry is inside mids.
8. Richmond - Last 6-8 players in the best 22 just not good enough. Deledio gets tagged out too easily. Vickery / Griffiths don't provide enough support to Riewoldt. Martin to have a huge year though.

9. Fremantle - Too reliant on Pav, Sandi and McPharlin who will continue to decline. Won't kick enough goals in more attacking year. Crowley a massive loss, especially in Ross Lyon's gameplan. Don't see enough improvement from underneath. Fyfe to win the Brownlow however.
10. Essendon - Slow start to the year with no match practice / possible suspension. Top 8 team with no ASADA issue. Will click later in the year but too late.
11. Collingwood - I really like their youngsters but it's just too soon and they won't kick enough goals. Hope Bucks survives because I rate him as a coach.
12. Brisbane Lions - Will get here on strength of midfield but key position players are just miles off.
13. GWS - Natural improvement of youngsters plus add Griffin and Patfull.
14. West Coast - Was going to put them lower but they'll scrape out of bottom 4, McKenzie a huge loss, no defence, no Dean Cox, no midfield depth.
15. Carlton - Won't necessarily go backwards as a team, just think Lions & Giants, will improve more.
16. Western Bulldogs - Still like their midfield without Libba, especially their pressure.
17. Melbourne - Fans will begin to see light at the end of the tunnel but still a few years off.
18. St Kilda - Rebuilding with a really formidable group of kids but they are years off. Plenty of hope for fans.

Last edited:
1-Hawthorn- Best side in the comp and have no reason to tip them finishing lower.
2-Sydney-Will be devestated from the Grand Final loss and will bounce back.
3-Port-Young developing team, lacks depth but best 22 is better then most. 2 top 10 players in Gray and Boak and Wines continually improving.
4-Fremantle-Will surprise a few this year. 22 players hitting personal bests in 3 km time trials and if they stay injury free could play in another Grand Final.
5-Adelaide- Have one of the best forward lines in the competition and an Elite Midfield to match. Some question marks over the second key defender, but expect Hartigan to take that role. Could finish anywhere really.
6-Geelong- Can never count out Geelong. Clark looks like the recruit of the year and could form a deadly duo eith Tomahawk. Could finish in the top 4 if all goes their way.
7-North Melbourne- Feel as though they did really well to get to a prelim last year, but were found out quickly by the swans. They should be aiming to go one better but I'm not so sure. Waite and Higgins could be huge wins but time will tell.
8-Gold Coast- Freakishly talented side who I am expecting to really step it up this year. Have an exciting list of young stars lead by Gary Ablett, and could be the surprise packet of the season.

9-West Coast- A lot of good young players but will be expecting the likes of Selwood, Wellingham, Masten and Gaff to play at a more consistent level. Could finish a lot higher or a lot lower.
10-Richmond- Have a host of elite players but also a host of very average footballers. Struggling to see where the improvement will come from and i feel other sides will overtake them.
11-Collingwood- Good list of young developing players but I think they're another 2-3 Years away from really challenging for a flag.
12-GWS- Excellent young side who is lead well by Callen Ward. Should be pushing for a top 8 spot.
13-Brisbane- Excellent recruiting in the off season but the lack of quality Key position players will hurt them. Need Close or Freeman to have a big year if they're going to push into the 8.
14-Carlton- Good Midfield but forward line is still a huge concern. Can challenge the good sides on their day, but not consistent enough.
15-Essendon- Really couldn't decide where to put the Bombers. The ASADA situation will have a huge bearing on where they finish. Will be a lot higher if players are not suspended.
16-Melbourne- Plenty of great young players but are still learning a foreign gameplan and will take some time.
17-ST Kilda- Have some of the most exciting young players in the comp. Will improve on last year but not by much.
18-Western Bulldogs- Unfortunately i see the dogs finishing last. Cannot replace experience and the experience of Griffen, Cooney and Higgins cannot be injected into the young players. Bontempelli however to make the AA side.

Grand Final-Hawthorn vs Port
Premiers-Hawthorn
Brownlow-Fyfe/Selwood tie
Coleman-Franklin
Norm Smith-Gunston
Rising Star-Matt Crouch.
Dogs last?.. Are you kidding?

You need the bulk of your squad to be in the right zone in terms of development, stamina, strength, experience, if you're going to be competitive over a season. Put simplistically, skew too old and you slow down and the niggles kick in. Skew too young and no amount of talent can cover the lack of hardness and smarts.

Bulldogs players aged between 25 and 30 this season:

Jarrad Grant
Tory Dickson
Will Minson
Stewart Crameri*
Easton Wood
Liam Picken

That's it. It's young bodies, a couple of old heads and the class of Bob Murphy.

I think tipping Dogs to come last is defensible.

We have the 3rd youngest list in the league and only one player in our entire list over 29 years old (kane cornes) so i'd say it's pretty safe to assume our older players falling off of the perch (only one) would have no effect.

We have the 3rd youngest list in the league and only one player in our entire list over 29 years old (kane cornes) so i'd say it's pretty safe to assume our older players falling off of the perch (only one) would have no effect.
Yeah not 3rd youngest anymore now that you are in top-up mode. Look it up.

Dogs last?.. Are you kidding?

You need the bulk of your squad to be in the right zone in terms of development, stamina, strength, experience, if you're going to be competitive over a season. Put simplistically, skew too old and you slow down and the niggles kick in. Skew too young and no amount of talent can cover the lack of hardness and smarts.

Bulldogs players aged between 25 and 30 this season:

Jarrad Grant
Tory Dickson
Will Minson
Stewart Crameri*
Easton Wood
Liam Picken

That's it. It's young bodies, a couple of old heads and the class of Bob Murphy.

I think tipping Dogs to come last is defensible.

Well you finished 14th and have lost a Brownlow medalist, a top 15 midfielder in the comp and Shaun Higgins. Last is not out of the picture.

Plus Tom Liberatore (their best mid) is out with an ACL injury for the year.

Griffen, Liberatore, Cooney, Higgins out of the team.

Bont is good, heaps of hype around him and it's deserved, but I wonder if he can do it for a whole season (carry the midfield ). Macrae has potential but he's a taggable player. Brett Goodes is being talked up for a senior spot and games! That's stretching.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back