Oppo Camp 2015 non-Geelong match and general football discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Phew! I don't think I could take it if we did't get Dangerfield, only highlight in such a dismal year :(
Number 10 says hi Kitty.
543227-15c7e9fc-4d80-11e5-bff6-26fc1dcc3623.jpg

Geelong players show their support for Daniel Menzel after he kicked his first goal in almost four years. AAP
543281-3aae4d92-4d80-11e5-bff6-26fc1dcc3623.jpg

Daniel Menzel soars above Tom Langdon to take a strong mark. Picture: Wayne Ludbey Source: News Corp Australia

Bye guys watching the Hawks 3 peat and getting kicked out of a raid team on Destiny has ruined my day.

Going to delete Bigfooty from my life and the Ps4 and move interstate so I can concentrate on other things in my life than footy and gaming.

Very very very low today life is horrible

Don't go, mang. I footy-hate Hawthorn as much as anyone but life goes on. The dry mouth I have today from yesterday will not be there tomorrow, and all that other uplifting s**t.

Number 10 says hi Kitty.
543227-15c7e9fc-4d80-11e5-bff6-26fc1dcc3623.jpg

Geelong players show their support for Daniel Menzel after he kicked his first goal in almost four years. AAP
543281-3aae4d92-4d80-11e5-bff6-26fc1dcc3623.jpg

Daniel Menzel soars above Tom Langdon to take a strong mark. Picture: Wayne Ludbey Source: News Corp Australia
1474.gif

Thank you ypo, I needed that reality check. It's not like me to be so negative, must have caught it from the DQ's :p

We have a lot to be happy about at Geelong :thumbsu: :rainbow:

I was pretty down about the Hawks three-peat; but imo trying to rationalise away their premierships is an exercise in futility; the history books don't bother with the asterix.

I detest them more than most (my whole horrible family barrack for the Hawks, apart from the branch of the family tree which I have created), too, so I half-watched with a sinking sense of inevitability - their best footy this year (and last) was easily the best in the comp, and I knew they'd be experienced enough to pull out something like their best footy on the big day.

However I've still seen 3 more Geelong flags than I thought I would've, and the club I support has virtually always been competitive during the time I've followed them.
I think our list moving forward still has enough question marks to preclude any grand predictions from myself; but I also think that natural improvement, a better run with injuries and the acquisition of Dangerfield, if we get him over the line, could see us being among the challengers in the not-too-distant future.

Outstanding side no doubt, but the best ever, not even close.
Unless you have a clear recollection of the 80's Hawks side..
Speaking to several of their supporters who have followed them forever, they regarded this current team as superior to that team before this 3-peat.
So it's between those 2 teams.
This team is capable of making the best opposition available every year appear as if they are incompetent, while they themselves, under pressure, execute their skills with precision and perfection. Not boring. Just clinically brilliant. No ifs.

Last edited:
Speaking to several of their supporters who have followed them forever, they regarded this current team as superior to that team before this 3-peat.
This team is capable of making the best opposition available every year appear as if they are incompetent, while they themselves, under pressure, execute their skills with precision and perfection. Not boring. Just clinically brilliant. No ifs.
That's the word that sums them up.

I suppose when it's 4 we can at least think we are seeing double.:drunk:
if YPO If. Stay positive. Someone will defeat the evil horde..... Hopefully :)

I keep seeing this stuff on Cats pages on Facebook.
Lets face it, the Hawks have won the last three flags because they have been the best team in the comp.
I would have rather seen any team win the flag than Hawthorn, but it really does not hurt to look at the situation with some objectivity.

By all means, they have been a great team and no side has come within a bulls roar of beating them these last three flags. I'm just a little sick of them being so damn good all the time.

I agree.

But it is a weakened competition. That's an objective call as well, Rabbi.

Just how is it a weakened competition?
When you explain that to us, then we may be able to make a judgement on the objectivity of your statement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks won 5 GFs in 9 yrs between 1983 n 1991, and played in 8 straight GFs 83 to 89. that was one very good side, but didn't dominate some teams Dons were good back then Blues. The Hawks of the last 3 yrs have made all opposition look incapable of dominating them. I remember the 1980s and was truly sick of the sight of them, as I am beginning to now.

manboob I think we can see now why clubs including ours are steering clear. Unquestionable talent but too risky.
Dunno what the * dusty was thinking getting on the piss with him. Both of them are ******* idiots.

I'd still take him though, Richmond couldn't draft a fireman's arsehole.

By all means, they have been a great team and no side has come within a bulls roar of beating them these last three flags. I'm just a little sick of them being so damn good all the time.

Don't get me wrong. I hate Hawthorn with a passion. But I also respect them.
I also think that it is a little childish to try an deny just how good they are because we are Cats fans.

I have blocked anyone from commenting on my Facebook page as my niece, who is a Dawk supporter, decided to be my FB friend (again) just before the Grand Final. I treated her with suspicion as once before she defiled my FB with Hawk stuff after they won the flag.

I also think that it is a little childish to try an deny just how good they are because we are Cats fans.

I have blocked anyone from commenting on my Facebook page as my niece, who is a Dawk supporter, decided to be my FB friend (again) just before the Grand Final. I treated her with suspicion as once before she defiled my FB with Hawk stuff after they won the flag.
Clearly time to disown her. :D

I was pretty down about the Hawks three-peat; but imo trying to rationalise away their premierships is an exercise in futility; the history books don't bother with the asterix.

I detest them more than most (my whole horrible family barrack for the Hawks, apart from the branch of the family tree which I have created), too, so I half-watched with a sinking sense of inevitability - their best footy this year (and last) was easily the best in the comp, and I knew they'd be experienced enough to pull out something like their best footy on the big day.

However I've still seen 3 more Geelong flags than I thought I would've, and the club I support has virtually always been competitive during the time I've followed them.
I think our list moving forward still has enough question marks to preclude any grand predictions from myself; but I also think that natural improvement, a better run with injuries and the acquisition of Dangerfield, if we get him over the line, could see us being among the challengers in the not-too-distant future.
Yep, it is time to pull up our big girl/boy pants up and look to the future. The 2015 is done and dusted. Move on.

Anyone who has been following footy for as long as we have, and I know you are easily my junior, but we have seen enough of Hawthorn to realise they could well be around for a long time yet, and then pop up again. It seems they are destined to be successful, can attract the players to maintain that, and have the best coach ever, imho.
While we might hate their success, there is no escaping that in most ways, they are the state of the art club.
If only a lot of their supporters could be a little more humble. Some have said they enjoy coming straight to our board after a GF win??? Slightly bizarre; I guess we (GFC) did have a profound impact for a while there on their (HFC)psyche with all those consecutive wins, and perhaps the fortitude they have developed in getting over that issue has assisted this current era of success. Maybe that affected their fans significantly.
I was advised that the best way to piss them off was for our fans to actually do the correct thing anyway, which is to congratulate their success. I have no issue with that.
Is what I was doing.
I see absolutely no issue with mutual respect. Many of their fans still regard us as a feared opponent, there is respect there, and most of us undoubtedly respect their team, impossible not to.

Last edited:
I also think that it is a little childish to try an deny just how good they are because we are Cats fans...

Understanding human psychology explains a bit. From my understanding and a bit of self-analysis the childishness of a 'sporting hatred' acts as a touchstone for some of us, enabling us to link back to an earlier and 'safer' black-and-white world where you either loved something... or you out and out hated it. To a child there are no shades of grey worth thinking about and no real consequence of that hate beyond the immediate neighbourhood of the self.

Jealousy is very much a related emotional response.

Of course all of this happens at the subconscious level. Nobody's actually going round thinking 'I hate Hawthorn winning because it makes me feel like a kid again and makes me feel safer in my own mind' but that's essentially what is happening.

Anyone who has been following footy for as long as we have, and I know you are easily my junior, but we have seen enough of Hawthorn to realise they could well be around for a long time yet, and then pop up again. It seems they are destined to be successful, can attract the players to maintain that, and have the best coach ever, imho.
While we might hate their success, there is no escaping that in most ways, they are the state of the art club.
If only a lot of their supporters could be a little more humble. Some have said they enjoy coming straight to our board after a GF win??? Slightly bizarre; I guess we (GFC) did have a profound impact for a while there on their (HFC)psyche with all those consecutive wins, and perhaps the fortitude they have developed in getting over that issue has assisted this current era of success. Maybe that affected their fans significantly.
I was advised that the best way to piss them off was for our fans to actually do the correct thing anyway, which is to congratulate their success. I have no issue with that.
Is what I was doing.
I see absolutely no issue with mutual respect. Many of their fans still regard us as a feared opponent, there is respect there, and most of us undoubtedly respect their team, impossible not to.
I totally agree with you, non communicatus with Hawks fans gloating on the Cats board. If you ignore them and don't argue with them they will quickly go away.

Is what I was doing.

I agree with most of this , I just want too make a point that no club is ever destined to successful or unsuccessful. There are tangible reasons why Hawthorn have had so much success over the past 40 years .

I don't have all the answers as to why Hawthorn are so successful but something that stands out is they way they are prepared to do whatever it takes to win , more so than any other club .They are prepared to push all the rules to the edge in a controlled but extremely aggressive manner.

I also suspect that money has a lot to do with their recent success .The way they are able to keep their players in great condition is just amazing .

Believe it or not my Grandpa actually supports Hawthorn because when he was young he felt sorry for them .They were a unsuccessful club in their first 40 years , so things can change .

I think our approach should be to actually look how Hawthorn go about winning all their premierships and look to go a step further than them.

1 thing I have learnt from Hawthorn people is that they cant handle being anything but the best .We should take the same approach.

Just how is it a weakened competition?
When you explain that to us, then we may be able to make a judgement on the objectivity of your statement.

Two ways I am sure of, one possible dark reason.

Expanded number of team thins out talent.

Compromised drafts.

Reduction in use of PEDs following EFC disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back