List Mgmt. 2015 Trade, Draft, Rookie Draft and FA Megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to pick a 22 at this time of year but realistically a couple of boys are going to get some injuries along the way, very rare to avoid injuries with best 22 players throughout the season.

Competition for spots can only be a good thing, the young boys like Acres will only have to work harder and harder which will be beneficial regardless of how many games he manages to play. We're in a very healthy list position.

I like it, but want Acres in there.

take out... uh... drop... ****in.. s**t... can we play 23?
I look at lists like that, I think, how can we not be including guys like Acres and DMac in these teams but then I think, who on earth do we drop to make that happen?!

I do wonder whether young Lachie did the same thing when he re-signed with Freo.

Or we just overrate our list :oops:
Probably, but the alternative is what we had in 2009/10; about 15 locks, 7 acceptable-ish spuds then a wasteland of dross or underdeveloped kids.

I'll take overrating our pretty even developing list over that any day.

Probably, but the alternative is what we had in 2009/10; about 15 locks, 7 acceptable-ish spuds then a wasteland of dross or underdeveloped kids.

I'll take overrating our pretty even developing list over that any day.
Agree. I just look at guys like Gresham, Freeman, Billings, Acres, DMac, Lonie, Weller, Dunstan, Webster, Sav and even Ross and think to myself there is no way these guys wont make it but the sad reality is not all will. That's before you look at fringe types like Wright, Murdoch, Eli, even O'Kearney.

Especially when you factor in Steven, Armo and potentially someone like Steele or JOM.

Gee the development of this list is bloody enjoyable to watch.

Agree. I just look at guys like Gresham, Freeman, Billings, Acres, DMac, Lonie, Weller, Dunstan, Webster, Sav and even Ross and think to myself there is no way these guys wont make it but the sad reality is not all will. That's before you look at fringe types like Wright, Murdoch, Eli, even O'Kearney.

Especially when you factor in Steven, Armo and potentially someone like Steele or JOM.

Gee the development of this list is bloody enjoyable to watch.

yep Goddard, McCartin, Lonie, Mckenzie - you are right the enjoyment is in watching this list.

can now compare to other lists

TD: Carlisle, Goddard, Delaney, Coughlan
MD: Fisher, Dempster, Roberton, Shenton Lee
SD: Geary, Webster, Savage, McKenzie, Wright, Rice, White
R: Longer, Hickey, Holmes, Pierce
IM: Armitage, Dunstan, Ross, Gilbert, Weller, Acres, Minchington, Murdoch
OM: Montagna, Newnes, Templeton
HM: Steven, Freeman, Gresham, Curren, Saunders, OKearney
TF: Riewoldt, Bruce, McCartin, Payne
MF: Billings, Membrey
SF: Lonie

If Sam Fisher had retired this year (and been replaced by an 18yo), we would have the second youngest list in the AFL - even younger than GWS or the Suns. Pretty amazing to think that we were the oldest team about three or four years ago.

Fantastic effort by our recruiting team!

It's hard to pick a 22 at this time of year but realistically a couple of boys are going to get some injuries along the way, very rare to avoid injuries with best 22 players throughout the season.

Competition for spots can only be a good thing, the young boys like Acres will only have to work harder and harder which will be beneficial regardless of how many games he manages to play. We're in a very healthy list position.

There is always someone who jumps up every year from nowhere. Steven really established himself in 2013, Armo and Bruce this year....with such a huge number of kids coming into the right age bracket I'm really hoping we have 3 or 4 come on at once. Hopefully we have a whole lot of locks make themselves indispensable next year.

If Sam Fisher had retired this year (and been replaced by an 18yo), we would have the second youngest list in the AFL - even younger than GWS or the Suns. Pretty amazing to think that we were the oldest team about three or four years ago.

Fantastic effort by our recruiting team!

Unfortunately the age profile was actually a result of our terrible recruiting in the past -now we should have recruits who were now around 25 to 27 years old coming into their prime but there aren't many to come on. When we lose those very senior players it will be a very young list.

Webster has been an automatic in since the start of 2014. Regardless of what deficiencies you think he might have the coaching staff pick him every single week. Surely that's a lock?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Last edited:
Let's look at it this way;

- 2016 - v - 2009 -

Riewoldt - Riewoldt
Armitage - B.Goddard
Steven - Hayes
Bruce - Fisher
Dempster - Gilbert
Savage - Dempster
Montagna - Montagna
Billings - Dal Santo
Longer - Gardiner
H.Goddard - Koschitzke
Geary - Baker
Carlisle - Blake
Weller - Jones
Savage - Gram
Roberton - Ray
Billings - Milne
Sinclair - Schneider
Hickey - King
Dunstan - Ball
Ross - X.Clarke (inj.)
McCartin - Stanley
Membrey - Lynch
Webster - Gwilt
McKenzie - Armitage
Freeman - Eddy
Acres - R.Clarke
Lonie - Steven
Delaney - Maguire (inj.)
Pierce - McEvoy
Murdoch - Connors
Minchington - McQualter
Lee - Cahill
Wright - Begley
Shenton - Smith
Curren - Heyne
Templeton - Geary
Rice - L.Fisher (inj.)

Holmes - McGrath
O'Kearney - Howard
Coughlan - Dawson
Payne - Miles
Saunders - McGarry
Baker-Thomas (NZ) - Simpkin
Mountain-Silbery (NZ) - Haretuku
Miller (NZ) - Gaertner
XXXXX - Tungatulum

I've tried to find a nexus between like-for-like and bottom 6, but what it says to me is that the top group were better back then, but then we fell off a CLIFF.

Also, we're looking at a battle-hardened group opposed to a young one, but the 'bottom 6' are simply incomparable; Eddy? Heyne? Cahill? Smith? Connors? Ugh.

Last edited:
Let's look at it this way;

- 2016 - v - 2009 -

Riewoldt - Riewoldt
Armitage - B.Goddard
Steven - Hayes
Bruce - Fisher
Dempster - Gilbert
Savage - Dempster
Montagna - Montagna
Billings - Dal Santo
Longer - Gardiner
Bruce - Koschitzke
Geary - Baker
Carlisle - Blake
Weller - Jones
Savage - Gram
Roberton - Ray
Billings - Milne
Sinclair - Schneider
H.Goddard - Cahill
Hickey - King
Dunstan - Ball
Ross - X.Clarke (inj.)
McCartin - Stanley
Membrey - Lynch
Webster - Gwilt
McKenzie - Armitage
Freeman - Eddy
Acres - R.Clarke
Lonie - Steven
Delaney - Maguire (inj.)
Pierce - McEvoy
Murdoch - Connors
Minchington - McQualter
Wright - Begley
Shenton - Smith
Curren - Heyne
Templeton - Geary
Rice - L.Fisher (inj.)

Holmes - McGrath
O'Kearney - Howard
Coughlan - Dawson
Payne - Miles
Saunders - McGarry
Baker-Thomas (NZ) - Simpkin
Mountain-Silbery (NZ) - Haretuku
Miller (NZ) - Gaertner
XXXXX - Tungatulum

I've tried to find a nexus between like-for-like and bottom 6, but what it says to me is that the top group were better back then, but then we fell off a CLIFF.

Also, we're looking at a battle-hardened group opposed to a young one, but the 'bottom 6' are simply incomparable; Eddy? Heyne? Smith? Connors? Ugh.
Could have sworn X had already been delisted/traded the year before, but checked & you're right. What I did find though was that X had played 105 games for us.....

Hope X has a few boys :)

Webster has been an automatic in since the start of 2014. Regardless of what deficiencies you think he might have the coaching staff pick him every single week. Surely that's a lock?

I just checked he only played 11 games in 2014 and 17 in 2015. Was he injured for all of those he missed?

I just checked he only played 11 games in 2014 and 17 in 2015. Was he injured for all of those he missed?
Yes apart from the few games he missed for the incident in Tassie last year. Basically if he's fit he doesn't play VFL.

I don't get the knocks on him as a defender either, when you play in defence for a struggling team you're occasionally going to have a bad game. Doesn't mean you can't defend.

Yes apart from the few games he missed for the incident in Tassie last year. Basically if he's fit he doesn't play VFL.

I don't get the knocks on him as a defender either, when you play in defence for a struggling team you're occasionally going to have a bad game. Doesn't mean you can't defend.

I don't knock him just think he's still developing. He had 27 disposals against the hawks and it's not like they let him go free because he doesn't do any damage with his disposal. He makes some mistakes where he plays brave and gets off his man who then turns him inside out when we turn it over. He's probably one of the guys who is in the right age and games bracket to make a huge jump in performance and having a big hulking enforcer along side him might be an enormous gift to him. Jake Carlisle has a bit of Hamill in him, I can see him being the tough older brother to Hugh and Jimmy etc.

Jimmy was not a "defender" at the time he was drafted. He was often described as a "talented outside mid".
So now we have Rice and White, as well as Wright, Murdoch, Savage.

Fast and damaging , time for Jimmy to become that talented outside mid.

Jimmy was not a "defender" at the time he was drafted. He was often described as a "talented outside mid".

I remember someone suggested they had plans for him to move up the field where he could use his disposal to set up play.

'I can categorically say that when we drafted Jimmy Webster, I didn't know exactly what Jimmy was going to be but I knew he had enough ability to be able to play in three parts of the ground,' said Elshaug. 'Where it all settled was going to depend on Jimmy and how the coach saw him and what else we had on the list, but to have that flexibility is enormous.' (The Draftees)

We need to explore and develop a s**t load more midfield depth. So I totally agree re Webster its time to move him into the heat of battle in the midfield. I also think Wright would benefit with playing on the wing, even if he is used in a midfield tagging role he needs a shot of confidence and faith and would surprise a few I believe.

Why is it with peoples best 22 teams Dunstan is a walk up start? I think he is a long way from that and would have Minchington ahead of him. Minchi is a lot more damaging by foot and provides a bit of speed when required (most under rated player IMO).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back