2016 Trade/FA discussion (no hypothetical trades)

Remove this Banner Ad

Cheeky bastards net 2 top5 picks with pick 2 and pick 14 plus second rounders. That deal might hurt us more then we think.
Not so much hurt us because we wouldn't have any chance at Bowes anyway. That and we would get 3 top 8-10 kids. Possibly 2 top 6 players which are the ones meant to be above the next 14. It would however hurt other clubs later down the line.

Some inside info, it's a bit cryptic as I can't reveal their name but a player we've been linked to has failed two medicals in Melbourne over the past week. Disappointing as he was one of my preferred targets.

Now it's all said and done, this was about Frost. Was having troubles with his hip at the time, seems to be fixed now.

Breaking down the Suns current position they have picks 4 and 8. At the moment they are hoping no bid comes for Bowes before pick 4 so they can add 2 top 5 talents to their list.

Now on the other hand, breaking down the discussed trade of 2 and Hanley and one of our second rounders for picks 4, 6 and 8, gaining pick 2 ensures the Suns that they'll be able to add a gun player before Bowes(The Bombers won't bid with pick 1). On top of that they get Hanley and we throw in a sweetener(pick 19 it'd have to be I reckon).

Now let's say the Suns don't do the trade. They'd have picks 4, 6(Prestia trade) and 8. Best case scenario for them is Pick 6 essentially=Bowes as that would mean there was no bid in the top 3 and they were able to draft another young gun with pick 4 and then they'd drafter another youngster with pick 8(Which would probably become pick 9 or 10 after academy bids). If they pull off the trade with us, however, they get a better player at pick 2 than they would with 4, they are guaranteed to get a player in the top 5 in addition to Bowes who they obviously still end up with, and instead of drafting yet another youngster with pick 8-10 they instead get a matured aged, gun midfielder in Hanley which they are crying out for as they already have an abundance of younger players(Which McCluggage/McGrath, Bowes and Scheer plus some others with picks in the 20's will add to). So in other words they are guaranteed to end up with McCluggage/McGrath, Bowes and Hanley whereas if they keep picks 4, 6 and 8 and a top 3 bid comes in for Bowes they get Bowes, plus a lesser player such as Scrimshaw or Brodie with pick 6 and than another youngster again.

We could also promise the Suns we won't bid on Bowes meaning it rules out bids coming in at 4, 6 and 8 which could be very handy. From our point of view, I'd be hesitant parting with pick 2, however, if we were to end up with 3 picks inside the top 8 I simply don't think we could say no. We'd be in a position to add 3 of Ainsworth, SPS, Taranto, Brodie and Scrimshaw.

Is there anything lions can offer for pick 3 in terms of players to gws. A future pick possibly included in the deal.

Putting it out to everyone for suggestions ?

So in summary. If we could do something . And we ge the 4 6 8 . , 3, 4 , 6 , 8 would be fantastic.

If that were possible who would we be draft?
Hugh mc, Ainsworth, SPS, toranto,
Shai Bolton , logue ,Cedric cox with latter picks

Last edited:
Is there anything lions can offer for pick 3 in terms of players to gws. A future pick possibly included in the deal.

Putting it out to everyone for suggestions ?

So in summary. If we could do something . And we ge the 4 6 8 . , 3, 4 , 6 , 8 would be fantastic.

If that were possible who would we be draft?
Hugh mc, Ainsworth, SPS, toranto,
Shai Bolton , logue ,Cedric cox with latter picks
I think this thread may be cross pollinating with the ready hypotheticals thread...

I wonder if there's a way to obtain every pick in the top 40 of the 2016 draft.

#totalrebuild

Call ourself a new club and ask AFL to let us have a free go at first rounds for next 3 years #dynasty

Worst case is these events this year severely diminishes his value as a FA agent next year if it's true there's little interest. Not being able to secure a decent trade now means chances are it hurts us next year if we are forced to keep him against the clubs wishes.

That's a real lose lose situation.

Or Fagan could turn this around and we manage to keep a top line mid (minus captaincy). One can only hope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not so much hurt us because we wouldn't have any chance at Bowes anyway. That and we would get 3 top 8-10 kids. Possibly 2 top 6 players which are the ones meant to be above the next 14. It would however hurt other clubs later down the line.
Very unlikely we 2 of the top 6 players Schwab was talking about it and he said himself that the 14 falls away after the top5 or 6. Dont think he meant drastically but still...my point about getting hurt was probably over stated but i still dont see the benefit of moving pick 2 on to get 5, 7 and 9/ 10 ( once the first 3 player are picked we will select bowes whick gc will match so our 4 becomes 5, hence we only get 1 of the top 6)when we could trade hanley for 8 alone, try and package a few secound rounders for another selection in the top 10-15 and then force gc to match our bid on bowes at 2 and still McGrath or McCluggage at 3 and the 2 picks that we get would be comparable to the 6 and 8 ( which would become 7 and 9/10 after academy/fatherson). Maybe i worry too much :). I think i will wait see what happens. You might be right and those picks could all be guns no matter where they fall......... seems pointless writing all that to come to that conclusion:(

high end academy talent would never get passed on by their academy club IMO unless the bid was ridiculous.

where the academy bids come in make not one iota of difference to the player you end up getting, just ignore where the number falls ie. the top 6 non academy players (McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth, Brodie, Taranto, Petrevski-Seton) will probably be the first 6 taken that are open to everyone (without a matching option) in that case whether Taranto is taken at pick 6 or pick 7/8/9 is of no consequence, you still end up with the same player.

i am sure most recruitment staff don't delve too deeply into the high end talent of academy players, they just assume the chances of getting them are pretty slim.

would be great if the drug cheats did use pick 1 on a academy player then they want to be traded back would be great to see an ill gained pick be wasted :D

high end academy talent would never get passed on by their academy club IMO unless the bid was ridiculous.

where the academy bids come in make not one iota of difference to the player you end up getting, just ignore where the number falls ie. the top 6 non academy players (McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth, Brodie, Taranto, Petrevski-Seton) will probably be the first 6 taken that are open to everyone (without a matching option) in that case whether Taranto is taken at pick 6 or pick 7/8/9 is of no consequence, you still end up with the same player.

i am sure most recruitment staff don't delve too deeply into the high end talent of academy players, they just assume the chances of getting them are pretty slim.

It might not make one iota of difference to who we get at our first pick true but where the academy players get bid on makes a big difference to who we can take at our current pick 19 and 21.

Say Essendon bid on Bowes at pick 1 then gc have use 4 to match and points also would have to come off their pick 8 sending it further back down the first round. Same with other highly rated gc and gws kids. The picks they have in the first round could be used only on academy players or pushed outside the first round. This would actually bump or early second rounders up the draft order and leave a larger pool of players to pick from.

McGrath/McLuggage + Hanley + Bowes would be a pretty good draft for the Suns and they'd still have some lotto tickets left to play with.

I rate Scheer ahead of Bowes and GC have him too.

I am nowhere near as high on Bowes as many. He takes too much time off and does not put in the effort consistently enough for me. I worry about Rocket having a coronary coaching him next year.

A small whisper which was given to me.

Rockliff to the pies.
Witts & Hanley to GC.
Frost, Picks 8 & 27 to Brisbane & a Possible late pick shuffle.

Don't think so. Hine just said that the Frost trade will be done tomorrow but that the Witts trade is likely to drag out. Don't think they're linked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back