Prediction 2017 Membership

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon the number will surge this week and we'll have north of 20k by Friday. It's decision time for people who want to go, and there's not much pressure on us to renew early.
Could be another flame out but I reckon.

2017_03_27_18.38.54.png

There it is 18k...

Saturday is a day of milestones for the GIANTS with Toby Greene becoming the first player drafted to the club to play 100 games and forward Jeremy Cameron celebrating his 24th birthday.

However, the GIANTS are focused on a milestone of their own; reaching 20,000 members in 2017.

With a record-shattering 18,034 members already signed up, the GIANTS need your help to hit the 20k mark for the first time.

Membership packages start from just $55 for adults and $26 for juniors. There are a range of options, including Sydney and ACT specific memberships, three-game memberships and interstate memberships.

Visit membership.gwsgiants.com.au to get on board today or call 1300 442 687 to speak to our membership team.

There it is 18k...

Saturday is a day of milestones for the GIANTS with Toby Greene becoming the first player drafted to the club to play 100 games and forward Jeremy Cameron celebrating his 24th birthday.

However, the GIANTS are focused on a milestone of their own; reaching 20,000 members in 2017.

With a record-shattering 18,034 members already signed up, the GIANTS need your help to hit the 20k mark for the first time.

Membership packages start from just $55 for adults and $26 for juniors. There are a range of options, including Sydney and ACT specific memberships, three-game memberships and interstate memberships.

Visit membership.gwsgiants.com.au to get on board today or call 1300 442 687 to speak to our membership team.
I expected more quite frankly, but it is what it is.

A win in Adelaide might have seen a few more on the wagon.
Not sure,
:Dmore likely I just screwed up the prediction again.

It seriously worries me the lack of support though. We halved the crowd in the PF, I got an email today reminding me to go to the game when I've already bought a tkt. I know it's a long game, and I know the club admin is too smart to fail, but those rhings worry me.

Not sure,

It seriously worries me the lack of support though. We halved the crowd in the PF, I got an email today reminding me to go to the game when I've already bought a tkt. I know it's a long game, and I know the club admin is too smart to fail, but those rhings worry me.

What do you mean lack of support? If you take out the AFLW members the membership tally is up by about 50% which is very impressive. That puts us well ahead of Gold Coast and on par with the lions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure,

Our year on year membership growth is outstanding. From nothing at the start of 2011 to over 20k in 2017 is more than you could dare to ask in our market. This won't be a linear pathway though, so we have to take the long view.

What do you mean lack of support? If you take out the AFLW members the membership tally is up by about 50% which is very impressive. That puts us well ahead of Gold Coast and on par with the lions.

I admire your loyalty, I really do. I believe in facing teality though.

Our year on year membership growth is outstanding. From nothing at the start of 2011 to over 20k in 2017 is more than you could dare to ask in our market. This won't be a linear pathway though, so we have to take the long view.
It's heading in the right direction, just hoped faster.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's heading in the right direction, just hoped faster.
I'm not convinced you're dealing in the reality of Sydney sporting clubs if your "facing reality" is that we should have more members faster. :)

Reality is a statistical measure, it indicates you are being very pessimistic.
Half full > Half empty

I'm not convinced you're dealing in the reality of Sydney sporting clubs if your "facing reality" is that we should have more members faster. :)
I dont think it's ok that we halved the crowd in a home final against a small Melbourne club.
Facing reality to me is not pretending that's a wonderful outcome. It is what it is and it needs to be fixed, I believe it will be, but the sooner the better.

I dont think it's ok that we halved the crowd in a home final against a small Melbourne club.
Facing reality to me is not pretending that's a wonderful outcome. It is what it is and it needs to be fixed, I believe it will be, but the sooner the better.
Shrug. The crowd that night was at least 50% Doggies supporters and it was a final. I can't see how the club is expected to rustle up 10k Gold Coast supporters so that we don't have that drop off, nor convert the game into a final. Comparing it to last year's Suns clash would be a lot more realistic - any extra crowd figures over 8,308 is pure growth by us.

Shrug. The crowd that night was at least 50% Doggies supporters and it was a final. I can't see how the club is expected to rustle up 10k Gold Coast supporters so that we don't have that drop off, nor convert the game into a final. Comparing it to last year's Suns clash would be a lot more realistic - any extra crowd figures over 8,308 is pure growth by us.
I was talking membership numbers, I expected a lot more growth in them in he run up to our first home final, and was expressing disappointment.
My point about the PF is it is not acceptable, and cant be acceptable, that we have half the crowd at a home final. It doesn't mean we give up and fold of course, but that worried me more than the loss in our firsr finals series. Much as I was looking forward to being at the G the following week.

I was talking membership numbers, I expected a lot more growth in them in he run up to our first home final, and was expressing disappointment.
My point about the PF is it is not acceptable, and cant be acceptable, that we have half the crowd at a home final. It doesn't mean we give up and fold of course, but that worried me more than the loss in our firsr finals series. Much as I was looking forward to being at the G the following week.

Firstly the ticketing in the Finals series is not open; it is limited and run by the AFL. Even if they could go, not all GWS members would have been able to get a ticket as there needed to be an increased allocation for the Opposition and sponsors (AFL sponsors; even GWS sponsors didn't have the same allocation for home games). The two clubs both got the same allocation initially and members competed in the pre-sale.

Secondly the cost of a ticket was significantly more expensive so even casual fans weren't necessarily going to attend.

We need to have a core of members attending of about 12k, no matter who we play against. That puts us well above NRL, which, realistically is typical of Sydney sporting attendances.

Firstly the ticketing in the Finals series is not open; it is limited and run by the AFL. Even if they could go, not all GWS members would have been able to get a ticket as there needed to be an increased allocation for the Opposition and sponsors (AFL sponsors; even GWS sponsors didn't have the same allocation for home games). The two clubs both got the same allocation initially and members competed in the pre-sale.

Secondly the cost of a ticket was significantly more expensive so even casual fans weren't necessarily going to attend.

We need to have a core of members attending of about 12k, no matter who we play against. That puts us well above NRL, which, realistically is typical of Sydney sporting attendances.
Gotta be very careful on this board of saying anything that isn't sunshine and roses.
The PF tkting was allocated 8k to the Bulldogs members as I understand it. I thought it was more for us? In any case clearly we had an advantage in the location.
I agree the price had an impact, that's the issue. It shows we have a lot of casual support.
If you think we are trying to beat NRL crowds than I question your lack of ambition. Their game is played in a moving line essentially and is much more amenable to TV viewing. One of the reasons I go to games is I'm constantly tryiñg to look at wierd angles at the tv to see what's going on. Also I want to throw things at the TV when the game isn't going well.
Lastly I give you the Swans, I know it will be said they've had longer and probably should have folded in the early days. They screwed the pooch with Edelsten though and this set them back a lot.

It doesn't logically follow that if I say the PF crowd was unnacceptable, that the club is at fault. Clearly the club admin is doing a great job in all areas.
In my sometimes harsh view of the world it would be a mistake not to confront it openly, and rectify it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
18,000 members is a great result in my view.

I do agree though, the real indicator is growth in Spotless crowds which has been steady rather than spectacular.

I admire your loyalty, I really do. I believe in facing teality though.

Without the condescending tone how about explaining where these extra members/supporters were magically going to appear from in what turned out to be our last game of the season?

Might want to take a look at when membership sales close each year

Without the condescending tone how about explaining where these extra members/supporters were magically going to appear from in what turned out to be our last game of the season?

Not sure how you get tone from a two sentence post. I've dealt.with these issues over many years, and in txt you just have to give the benefit of the doubt in my experience. It's a subjective judgement.
I wont address the rest because it makes no sense.

Gotta be very careful on this board of saying anything that isn't sunshine and roses.

Nah, it's more that different people have different opinions and for some reason people think it's OK to reply with those opinions on what is a discussion forum.

Nah, it's more that different people have different opinions and for some reason people think it's OK to reply with those opinions on what is a discussion forum.
I never suggested it was anything else, of course it's ok. As I did.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back