NFL 2017 NFL Hall of Fame Nominees

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
So the nominees have been named for next years HoF class and there's been a bit of controversy caused by it.

MODERN-ERA NOMINEES FOR THE PRO FOOTBALL HALL OF FAME CLASS OF 2017

*Finalist in 2016 (Players and coaches must have last played or coached at least five full seasons ago to be eligible for nomination. Therefore, any individual who last played or coached in 2011 is eligible for the first time in 2017).

QUARTERBACKS (7): Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, *Kurt Warner

RUNNING BACKS (13): Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, *Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

WIDE RECEIVERS (10): Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason (also KR/PR), *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

TIGHT END (1): Mark Bavaro

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (14): Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), *Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (5): Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

LINEBACKERS (11): Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

DEFENSIVE BACKS (16): Eric Allen (CB), *Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

KICKERS/PUNTER (4): *Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

SPECIAL TEAMS (2): Brian Mitchell (KR/PR, also RB), Steve Tasker (ST, also WR)

COACHES (11): *Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...football-hall-of-fame-class-of-2017-announced

Personally I think the 5 chosen should be:

- LaDainian Tomlinson
- Terrell Owens (probably should have got in last year over Marvin Harrison)
- Jason Taylor
- Don Coryell (its ridiculous he's not already in imo)
5th spot between any of Kurt Warner, Steve Atwater (not that it would happen), Brian Dawkins and Allan Faneca

DB's have got a lot of modern day players nom'd, my gawd, i nearly know everyone player nom'd in one position. :eek:

Lynch and Woodson two of the best that ive seen (just ahead of Dawkins). Darren Sharper was probably the hardest hitter ive ever seen live on TV. I hated Rodney Harrison but i admired how good the bloke was, especially while at SD.

Hope drd is right in regards to LT, my favourite opposition player of all time. :thumbsu:

and * Phil Sims, im not listening to him talk anymore than i have to this year. Would be the only speech i wouldnt listen to.

Good to see the duel threat QB's rep'd in abundance also. :thumbsu:

WR's are starting to back up.

I think Ward gets in first time, Bill Cowher is a big chance. Jason Taylor should get in i dont think he later years hurt him. I would like to see Lynch get in this year.
McNair or Warner will be this years QB that gets in.

I dont think LT gets in first year.

That a convicted serial rapist was nominated (regardless of the fact that off-field stuff isn't supposed to be considered)

No chance Sharper gets in because of how fresh his conviction is.

There's a lot of OL that deserve HoF recognition. Unfortunately I can see them losing out to the sexier positions, but there should be at least two there that make it this season.

Speaking of sexier positions I see only one, if any, of the McNair/McNabb/Cunningham trio ever making it. Warner is probably the pick of the QB group, but I think there's more deserving players in this group before Warner.

RB is getting stacked. There's always the TD argument, James was also a finalist last season but may lose out to LT now.

You'd think a DB would get in. 2 were finalists last season and with Easley possibly getting the seniors nod it might put the position in focus among voters.

Those unlikely to get in the HoF but have a reasonable argument:
- Brian Mitchell is 2nd all-time for all purpose yards gained (and the only one of the top 5 not to be in the HoF) so statistically is a worthy candidate.
- Roger Craig is unappreciated, especially for his dual threat role at the 49ers.
- Dan Reeves took two different teams to 4 Superbowls, plus a solid playing career.
- Any kicker/punter (Go Morten!)

It could be a big class this season and I hope Tagliabue gets in over Jerruh, not that either choice excites me.

Last edited:
There's a whole lot if 'holy ****, how is that guy being considered?' imo will go into more detail later.

After posting this thread I did a bit of Googling to figure out how someone even gets nominated, and it turns out all anyone needs to do to nominate someone connected to the NFL is write to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

What sort of curation (if any) the HoF organisation do to remove those without a possible chance of making it wasn't clear however from their own website

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After posting this thread I did a bit of Googling to figure out how someone even gets nominated, and it turns out all anyone needs to do to nominate someone connected to the NFL is write to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

What sort of curation (if any) the HoF organisation do to remove those without a possible chance of making it wasn't clear however from their own website
Need Chadwiko to write in and nominate someone stupid like....Jamarcus Russell :p

LT should be first ballot. 5th in Rushing yards (every other Top 10 RB is already inducted), 2nd in Rushing TDs, 3rd in total TDs, 5th in Yards from scrimmage.

QUARTERBACKS (7):
Drew Bledsoe, Randall Cunningham, Doug Flutie, Donovan McNabb, Steve McNair, Phil Simms, *Kurt Warner

As much as I don't think Warner should be in, he's the best of the lot here. As stated before... Flutie? Really? McNabb would be the luckiest man alive to get in... He and McNair wouldn't even be mentioned if it wasn't for Cunningham, so he has to get in before those two.

RUNNING BACKS (13):
Shaun Alexander, Ottis Anderson, Tiki Barber, Larry Centers, Roger Craig, *Terrell Davis, Eddie George, *Edgerrin James, Daryl Johnston, Eric Metcalf (also WR/PR/KR), LaDainian Tomlinson, Herschel Walker (also KR), Ricky Watters

This is tough. LT is a lock. Say no more. Everyone else has questions... Edge probably next closest, Metcalf should be in with ST, ace return man, and would make it in before Mitchell because of his ability at multiple skill positions. Roger Craig is harshly done by.

WIDE RECEIVERS (10):
Isaac Bruce, Henry Ellard (also PR), Torry Holt, Chad Johnson, Derrick Mason (also KR/PR), *Terrell Owens, Sterling Sharpe, Jimmy Smith, Rod Smith, Hines Ward

Kinda stacked, Bruce, Ellard, and Sharpe should be in. Holt, Owens and Johnson deserving but should wait. Mason?? Nah soz. Would have to be a soft year for the Smiths and Ward, good players, but above and beyond their peers??

TIGHT END (1):
Mark Bavaro

Yeah, maybe...

OFFENSIVE LINEMEN (14):
Tony Boselli (T), Ray Donaldson (C), *Alan Faneca (G), Jay Hilgenberg (C), Chris Hinton (G/T), Kent Hull (C), *Joe Jacoby (T), Mike Kenn (T), Olin Kreutz (C), Jim Lachey (T), Kevin Mawae (C/G), Tom Nalen (C), Nate Newton (G), Steve Wisniewski (G)

Boselli and Faneca were consistent for so long. Jacoby and Lachey probably should've been in a while ago. Mawae, Nalen, Newton and Wisniewski should be considered, but I can imagine them waiting a while. Kreutz?

DEFENSIVE LINEMEN (5):
Leslie O'Neal (DE), Simeon Rice (DE), Fred Smerlas (NT), Jason Taylor (DE), Bryant Young (DT)

Never saw Smerlas, but Taylor probably the only one who should definitely be in.

LINEBACKERS (11):
Carl Banks, Cornelius Bennett, Tedy Bruschi, Seth Joyner, Levon Kirkland, Clay Matthews, Willie McGinest (also DE), Karl Mecklenburg, Sam Mills, Joey Porter, Zach Thomas

Bennett, Bruschi, Kirkland, Mecklenburg, Mills and Porter. Again good, but not really better than those in the league at the time. Joyner probably the best, but I can see the others having to wait some more also. Banks, Thomas and Matthews were machines though.

DEFENSIVE BACKS (16):
Eric Allen (CB), *Steve Atwater (S), Joey Browner (S), LeRoy Butler (S), Brian Dawkins (SS), Rodney Harrison (S), Ty Law (CB), Albert Lewis (CB), *John Lynch (S), Frank Minnifield (CB), Bob Sanders (SS), Darren Sharper (FS), Dennis Smith (SS), Troy Vincent (S), Everson Walls (CB), Darren Woodson (S)

This is where my main beef is... everyone talking up the one trick ponies like Atwater/Lynch/Harrison. Seriously shows a lack of knowledge. Butler and Woodson are two of the best damn Safeties to ever play the game. Dawkins just behind those two. None even rate a mention here?? Everyone talks up Ed Reed and rightly so, but these guys were doing what Reed did, before it was cool! Pioneers.

Sharper is probably deserving, but not right now... and his matador tackling style should hurt him. But as a ballhawk, he was amazing.

Bob Sanders?? * me dead, get off the drugs.

KICKERS/PUNTER (4):
*Morten Andersen (K), Gary Anderson (K), Sean Landeta (P), Nick Lowery (K)

Morten over Gary.

SPECIAL TEAMS (2):
Brian Mitchell (KR/PR, also RB), Steve Tasker (ST, also WR)

As I said, Eric Metcalf should be in way better overall than Mitchell. Not sure if a gunner will ever get in, but good luck to him.

COACHES (11):
*Don Coryell, Bill Cowher, Tom Flores, Mike Holmgren, Jimmy Johnson, Chuck Knox, Buddy Parker, Richie Petitbon, Dan Reeves, Clark Shaughnessy, Dick Vermeil

Coryell, Cowher, Flores, Holmgren, Johnson, Knox and Vermeil should be in. And will probably be in. Case for Reeves too.

Warner, Cunningham
Tomlinson, Craig, Davis, James
Sharpe, Ellard, Bruce
Jacoby, Lachey, Faneca, Boselli
Taylor
Joyner
Butler, Woodson, Dawkins
Andersen
Metcalf
Coryell, Cowher, Flores, Holmgren, Johnson.

They're my 25, but I think only LT is a lock for this season.

Sharper has no chance of making it in the next 20 years as the NFL/PFHoF would not want an acceptance speech to be made via Skype from jail (and really should not get in at all, even based on his play).

Also, you've got way too many people that "should be in" fuey imo but then I'm of the opinion that the NFL should be more exclusive than it already is and that "low bar" enshrinements (i.e Lynn Swan, Doak Walker, Paul Hornung, Bob Griese etc) should not be a good enough reason to justify new inductees

Looking at the coaching prospects a bit closer and, using the most recent inductee (Dungy) as a precedence, then Holmgren should make it (more wins, Super Bowl appearances, playoff seasons & wins than Dungy and equal for SB wins) as should Cowher (wins, Super Bowls, playoff wins > Dungy. SB wins = Dungy).

Coryell, Knox, Vermeil lose out compared to Dungy and while Jimmy Johnson and Flores have more Super Bowl appearances and wins, their record and success over a period of time isn't as great as Dungy.
Reeves has more overall wins, playoff wins and Super Bowl appearances compared to Dungy, but he loses out with win %, Super Bowl wins and playoff seasons in comparison.

Parker and Shaugnessey are of different eras so I don't know how you compare, but is there something else to Shaugnessey as he only coached 2 seasons?

Petitbon was a good assistant and a solid player, but I can't see him making the HoF on the back of assistant coaching.

You need to factor in other factors besides wins & SBs when comparing other coaches to Dungy, such as the fact that he was the first black HC to win a SB

Coryell obviously doesnt have the raw wins of other candidates but should be in because he was a major innovator of the passing game and his offense is still the basis of many NFL offenses 20-30 years later

Remove this Banner Ad

Back