2017 Trade & FA Targets - The Last Supper #Ameetos

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Goddard was the right pick 100%

Pick 20 odd, the only KPP players of note after him were Oscar McDonald (incredible reach to pick him there), McStay (academy player) and Mitch McGovern (I don't know much about). All of them have shown signs but Goddard has also missed 2 years.

McCartin I think was the wrong pick not cause of concussions but purely cause I think Petracca would be better.

Obviously hindsight is a bitch but best case scenario would be to trade 1 and 21 for 4 and 7, pick up Wright and Marchbank and with pick 22 it's honestly one of Touk Miller/Toby Mclean/Dmac.
Please not the Petracca/McCartin thing again.

Its called list "management" for a reason. I like Petracca but jeez do you seriously believe he is a Nick Reiwoldt replacement because that was the most pressing need.

Tell me what our best forward line will be next year without Rooey and McMattressguts to pick from.

Seriously do you see Petracca at CHF?

On K107 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Surely we can just front load again and then offer guys like Sloane and Gaff ridiculous contracts that they can't say no to next year?
If I recall correctly it just means we go to 100% of the cap this year. Then can use the 105% the year after.

Rors probably has the details

I wonder who on the list we're going to choose to overpay to hit 105% cap if we take 7 & 8 to the draft?

MG said it as well as anyone; there's only so much frontloading you can do.
And we've been frontloading for a long time now.

Plus roo and joey off the books.

Someone's gonna get a renegotiated contract with an undeserved xmas bonus
I'd be giving Billings another $50k, same with Carlisle, Roberton, Ross, Membrey, Gresham, Webster, Steele etc.

Will help us retain players in future too when new contract negotiations arise, unless they are seriously greedy ****s that always take & never give

I'd be giving Billings another $50k, same with Carlisle, Roberton, Ross, Membrey, Gresham, Webster, Steele etc.

Will help us retain players in future too when new contract negotiations arise, unless they are seriously greedy ****s that always take & never give
I would be getting Seb on a nice 4 or 5 year deal

We could give Minch and Wright and Holmes a bit of a kick for their last year in the system.
Thanks for putting in boys while we were shite, now seeyas.

Please not the Petracca/McCartin thing again.

Its called list "management" for a reason. I like Petracca but jeez do you seriously believe he is a Nick Reiwoldt replacement because that was the most pressing need.

Tell me what our best forward line will be next year without Rooey and McMattressguts to pick from.

Seriously do you see Petracca at CHF?

On K107 using BigFooty.com mobile app
It will still look taller than Richmond's this year and the Bulldogs last year. No surprises that WB fell back down this year when they tried to change their winning formula to include tall players like Cloke.

Taking 7+8 to the draft seems to be the increasingly better option as time progresses. Ideally, the natural progression of the younger players will continue and push the side over the line to reach a finals spot next year. This should hopefully entice any Free Agents to consider switching across at the end of next year so that they walk into a side on the up. Also in the short term, we plug gaps by trading out quality players that are in a position of surplus to help assist with that first finals berth.
Meanwhile, our two high draft selections will continue to develop, and peak in a handful of years when we’re meant to be in the thick of challenging.

It will still look taller than Richmond's this year and the Bulldogs last year. No surprises that WB fell back down this year when they tried to change their winning formula to include tall players like Cloke.
Not sure you can blame the Dogs fall from grace on bringing in Cloke. Especially when he didn't play a lot of footy. They had some issues within the club.

I also think people get too caught up on trying to look just like the premiership team from the year before. Every winning team is different.

In saying that, I still think Paddy needs to shed some kegs and improve his endurance, but I'm happy with our decision to take him at one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ameet has done a brilliant job just to get our player contracts back to a position where we are able to table legitimate offers for A+ grade players without compromising list development.

When we strip everything back we wanted a genuine midfield gun for our two first round picks 7&8. If we can’t obtain an out and out gun player then we should not trade those picks for the sake of trading. Take our picks to the draft and continue to try and upgrade portions of our list. Tomlinson is an upgrade on Brown, and certainly on Coughlan. Get. Watts is an upgrade on Lonie. Get. Hall is an upgrade on Phillips. Get.

As to why, we haven’t been able to attract a top 10 midfielder (yet) I think our inability to make finals combined with the Seaford issue are the big impediments. As far as not making finals is concerned I lay that one at the feet of our superstar players who under performed badly by their own standards. It’s just too much to expect the young GOP’s to get us there. We needed Riewoldt, Montagna, Armitage, Dempster and Gilbert to all have big years. And let’s not dance around it, that just didn’t happen. As others have pointed out the league is littered with examples of clubs that sputter when their big name players go missing. Why should it be any different for us?

If we go on to address the issue of why we aren’t getting key players, I think if TPP hadn’t of increased substantially this year we would have been able to shake something from the tree. So harsh reality there. If Hawthorn had of completely bottomed out I am pretty confident Kelly would already be back in Melbourne. Again, not to be. Seaford is unattractive. We are doing everything right to counter this it just needs time. Why aren’t players like Devon Smith nominating us? I honestly believe he looks at our list and recognises he will have to come here and fight for his spot. The spectre of competing with Gresham, Membrey, Weller and Billings has probably led him to think he has a better chance at cracking into Essendon’s half forward line.

So it’s getting tough to put the finishing touches on a list. That shouldn’t disparage us. All the current successful sides have a core that has been built via the draft. We shouldn’t be upset by another opportunity to use two high picks.

If we can’t lure a Sloane/Shiel type though the pressure is well and truly on some of our players to go to another level. One of Bruce/Membrey/McCartin has to go next level. And one of Dunstan/Steele/Stevens has to show Ross like growth. Longer must continue his upward trend from Round 1 next year and we need our wingers Sinclair/Acres to really provide a stronger link between defense and our forward line.

All of this is achievable if we are prepared to work hard. And I think we do have a hard working group.

Last edited:
Not sure you can blame the Dogs fall from grace on bringing in Cloke. Especially when he didn't play a lot of footy. They had some issues within the club.

I also think people get too caught up on trying to look just like the premiership team from the year before. Every winning team is different.

In saying that, I still think Paddy needs to shed some kegs and improve his endurance, but I'm happy with our decision to take him at one.
Of course it's not just Cloke. It's also trying to play Boyd Roughhead and others in the same fwd line. When they looked best they had Boyd in the ruck and that was about it. No dominant leading target.

I think trying to attract stars to our club is always going to be difficult given our history. Sure we can put stacks of money to them but one flag in 120 years, Seaford and a tendency to implode on ourselves frequently will always go against us.

So sensibly we go to the draft, sure Trout will get some wrong and he may have with Goddard and McCartin but we don't know yet. I don't think his strike rate is any better or worse than others.

What I do get frustrated with is the rate of development. Players in 2 and 3 Rs years at other clubs always seem more impactful.

I think we just have to wait. I do expect us to go backwards ladder wise next year but that does not mean we are not a better team. 2020 onwards will be this groups time.
Your frustration is an optical illusion to a large degree be sure those players are few between.

We ate not the only club who gets it wrong. It's just the individuals stand out more

If it makes you better take a looker the injectors trades for Jake... and of course there's always Norf.

Worth noting that Hunter Clark just smoked the field in the Stringrays’ B&F, winning by 92 votes from overeager Mason De Wit.

He won it on the back of his post-Champs form, when he moved from half back to a full-time mid.

Has to be back in the conversation if we’re heading to the Draft with both picks.

So we need 4 years to fix issues. Why the hell would it take that long and why should we have to wait until 2023 to finish in the top couple. God help us if it takes that long. We need to get there way before then even if we don't win it. The way I see it this year is the draft puts you back one year at the most unless you stuff up. We better not stuff up.
Have to agree plugger.even though i have been keen on a good trade with 1x1st round pick and then draft the other pick.
If we do take both picks to the draft and nail it the kids coming in will be playing in a team that should be ready to be a real competitive top 8 team and they wont delay our future.
If they come into the team and produce (lets say Greshams form of his 1st two seasons) we wont be years behind at all.
And the good thing will be that we will still be the youngest team.
What i saw from the team this season,wasnt all doom and gloom, yes we had some bad games,but we also had some good ones.
Remember we didnt lose to a team below us and beat Rich,GWS and WC who made top 8.
Tweak our game style somewhat and improve our dreadful goalkicking and we will be on the move i reckon.
The current players are approaching the amount of games that should have them playing their best footy.
While i dont think Dunstan and Acres for example ,even Steele have played at their best yet they have played some very good football at AFL level after being given a kick up the bum and a few games in the VFL.
Those players that replaced them on those occasions (Minch,Wright,Lonie etc),going forward wont or shouldnt be the replacements in the future years.
They will be replaced by hopefully players of equal talent who are also busting to get back into the senior team.Its called excellent depth,and as i said if we nail the draft thats what we will acquire.
So good times ahead either way,sooner rather than later.

It's too hard to figure out where we will finish next year. So many factors still to play out, a major one being fixture. If we play brisi twice from bottom 6 or the pies, if we get eagles from middle 6 etc. How many games paddy plays, how many Ryder perfect taps go on haha.

Flag wouldn't have been in the tigers plan this year but make it and you have a shot. We have the list to play finals imo and have trade and draft to come, so happy days.

Ameet has done a brilliant job just to get our player contracts back to a position where we are able to table legitimate offers for A+ grade players without compromising list development.

When we strip everything back we wanted a genuine midfield gun for our two first round picks 7&8. If we can’t obtain an out and out gun player then we should not trade those picks for the sake of trading. Take our picks to the draft and continue to try and upgrade portions of our list. Tomlinson is an upgrade on Brown, and certainly on Coughlan. Get. Watts is an upgrade on Lonie. Get. Hall is an upgrade on Phillips. Get.

As to why, we haven’t been able to attract a top 10 midfielder (yet) I think our inability to make finals combined with the Seaford issue are the big impediments. As far as not making finals is concerned I lay that one at the feet of our superstar players who under performed badly by their own standards. It’s just too much to expect the young GOP’s to get us there. We needed Riewoldt, Montagna, Armitage, Dempster and Gilbert to all have big years. And let’s not dance around it, that just didn’t happen. As others have pointed out the league is littered with examples of clubs that sputter when their big name players go missing. Why should it be any different for us?

If we go on to address the issue of why we aren’t getting key players, I think if TPP hadn’t of increased substantially this year we would have been able to shake something from the tree. So harsh reality there. If Hawthorn had of completely bottomed out I am pretty confident Kelly would already be back in Melbourne. Again, not to be. Seaford is unattractive. We are doing everything right to counter this it just needs time. Why aren’t players like Devon Smith nominating us? I honestly believe he looks at the our list and recognises he will have to come here and fight. The spectre of competing with Gresham, Membrey, Weller and Billings has probably led him to think he has a better chance at cracking into Essendon’s half forward line.

So it’s getting tough to put the finishing touches on a list. That shouldn’t disparage us. All the current successful sides have a core that has been built via the draft. We shouldn’t be upset by another opportunity to use two high picks.

If we can’t lure a Sloane/Shiel type though the pressure is well and truly on some of our players to go to another level. One of Bruce/Membrey/McCartin has to go next level. And one of Dunstan/Steele/Stevens has to show Ross like growth. Longer must continue his upward trend from Round 1 next year and we need our wingers Sinclair/Acres to really provide a stronger link between defense and our forward line.

None of this is unachievable if we are prepared to work hard. And I think we do have a hard working group.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Astute, balanced & ripping post :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back