Opinion 2020 Draft #2: 1/9/22/23/40/80 (2021 + Melb 2nd, Haw 4th, Freo 4th)

Who will Adelaide select with pick 1?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

KEY DATES

Oct 30 – Nov 6: AFL Free Agency Period
November 4 – 12: AFL Trade Period
November 20: List Lodgment 1
November 27: List Lodgment 2
November 30: AFL Draft Nominations close
w/c December 7: NAB AFL Draft and Rookie Draft (exact date to be confirmed in due course)
Mid-December: Final List Lodgment & TPP estimates

As God is my witness, finding anything useful on the AFL.com.au site is practically impossible, may whoever designed it burn in hell.

Taken from the Essendon board, thanks guys!

Some Bits from Cal Today

• Best Key Forwards in order JUH, McDonald, Thrillthorpe, Cox (Essendon are interested), Matthew Allison
  • Crows working on McDonald/Hollands/Thrillthorpe
  • Collingwood keen to bundle 14 16 and future 1st
  • Gold Coast wanted to move up from 5 to 2, North Rejected the swap
  • Essendon linked to Cox, Interested in Archie Perkins and so is Hawthorn would be a surprise if he went at 4
  • Unlikely for Essendon to trade up
  • DGB the one least likely to fall out of the top 5
  • Nathan O'Driscoll likely 15-25 range a bargain after 25
  • First 5, Next 7, then Next 10 in groups of talents
I'll also add:
  • Hollands unlikely to slide. If he doesn't go Pick 1 (or 2 if we bid on JUH) it sounds like he'll get picked up by North, Syd or Hawks, who've apparently have a fair bit of interest in him.
  • Crows are still open to trading Pick 1 if the 'right deal' is on the table.
  • Brayden Cook likely to be a draft bolter
Couple of interesting things in all this. Gold Coast trying this early to get up from 5 to 2 would imply that they rate at least 2 players highly that they think are no chance of being there at 5. You’d think that 1 of them would have to be McDonald, but certainly means they are keen on someone tall, as there is no way they could be certain that Holland’s would be available At 2. Either way it makes me pretty certain that they believe Phillips will be the one left at their pick out of the fab 5.

also it’s starting to sound like the 5 or 6 talls are becoming the real focal point of this draft, so there could be some real midfield talent available at 9.

Thilthorpe with our first pick would be a disaster.
That's a bit melodramatic... a disaster far from it.
He's a good footballer who would fill a need in a position we are definitely short at.
I've stated his attributes before. Sure he had an injury problem but an 18 year old at his height and weight needs to grow into his body.
Given a preseason and a year on the track Thilthorpe has the potential to be a very potent footballer.
I've seen him for the last two years and he is a very good footballer. Takes a strong mark and has good second efforts.
Kicks both feet and is a balanced big man who can ruck.. Good lead up forward who has works hard up and down the ground.
Maybe you don't rate him highly but I'm sure our staff do.
I'm on the Hollands train with pick 1 but if Thilthorpe's name was called I know we will be getting a very capable footballer who could became a powerhouse.

Couple of interesting things in all this. Gold Coast trying this early to get up from 5 to 2 would imply that they rate at least 2 players highly that they think are no chance of being there at 5. You’d think that 1 of them would have to be McDonald, but certainly means they are keen on someone tall, as there is no way they could be certain that Holland’s would be available At 2. Either way it makes me pretty certain that they believe Phillips will be the one left at their pick out of the fab 5.

also it’s starting to sound like the 5 or 6 talls are becoming the real focal point of this draft, so there could be some real midfield talent available at 9.
Crows - McDonald/Hollands/Thilthorpe
North - Hollands/McDonald/Mcd
Sydney - DGB/DGB
Hawks - Thilthorpe or Phillips/Hollands
Suns - Phillips or Thilthorpe/Phillips
Bombers - Who knows but best guesses seem Bruhn, Perkins, Cox

Difficult to see mids slipping, maybe Bruhn if too similar to Bombers mids. But they may be resigned to Merrett leaving.
Hard to see Suns trading out of 5 to us unless we offered next year's 2nd or swap of next year's picks as they couldnt have good idea of who would get at 9. Though not a need would be very tempting for them to add Phillips to the Oakleigh Chargers mids.

That's a bit melodramatic... a disaster far from it.
He's a good footballer who would fill a need in a position we are definitely short at.
I've stated his attributes before. Sure he had an injury problem but an 18 year old at his height and weight needs to grow into his body.
Given a preseason and a year on the track Thilthorpe has the potential to be a very potent footballer.
I've seen him for the last two years and he is a very good footballer. Takes a strong mark and has good second efforts.
Kicks both feet and is a balanced big man who can ruck.. Good lead up forward who has works hard up and down the ground.
Maybe you don't rate him highly but I'm sure our staff do.
I'm on the Hollands train with pick 1 but if Thilthorpe's name was called I know we will be getting a very capable footballer who could became a powerhouse.
It's FAITH, he just likes to be different even when he knows he's wrong

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we really wanted thilly ... and we knew the others weren't interested... wouldn't you trade down?
The danger is if they did and get him ahead of us after we have done the trade.

I agree if we are after TT, it may be worth trading down, but its fraught with risk.

Said the guy who still thinks Anderson > Rowell and Thilthorpe > McDonald.
I think you're describing yourself 🙂
Mate you've got little to no credibility, isn't it time you had a few more months away ??

Sydney - DGB/DGB

Difficult to see mids slipping, maybe Bruhn if too similar to Bombers mids. But they may be resigned to Merrett leaving.
Hard to see Suns trading out of 5 to us unless we offered next year's 2nd or swap of next year's picks as they couldnt have good idea of who would get at 9. Though not a need would be very tempting for them to add Phillips to the Oakleigh Chargers mids.
I don’t know. If GC are trying to move up, and can’t, then I think they would be very likely to trade back if they can get further into next year By doing so. They obviously aren’t happy with who they think they can get at 5. I can’t believe they would be trying to move up otherwise.

my guess is they would love DGB, but will look at Chapman if they can’t move up.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Collingwood get to 4 or 5, and they will go tall.

everything is starting to point to JUH, McDonald, Tillthorpe, DGB, Cox and possibly Reid going in the top 8, with Perkins also a smokey. Definitely think pick 9 is going to become a real focal point in this draft.

Sydney - DGB/DGB

With next year being a midfielders draft I think a mid will slide
I reckon Suns and Essendon take Cox and Reid.
If Essendon take Perkins then I assume Bruhn gets to 9.

BTW it’s absurd that the AFL is letting GC not only just grab any of their NGA or NT talent without matching, but also letting them trade out their picks that they consequently don’t need into next year. It’s the consessions that just keep giving.
When will they admit it's a failed experiment ?? When King, Luko, Rankine and last years 2 leave ??

They've been handed talent every year and realistically not getting much better.

I don’t know. If GC are trying to move up, and can’t, then I think they would be very likely to trade back if they can get further into next year By doing so. They obviously aren’t happy with who they think they can get at 5. I can’t believe they would be trying to move up otherwise.

my guess is they would love DGB, but will look at Chapman if they can’t move up.

I also wouldn’t be surprised to see Collingwood get to 4 or 5, and they will go tall.

everything is starting to point to JUH, McDonald, Tillthorpe, DGB, Cox and possibly Reid going in the top 8, with Perkins also a smokey. Definitely think pick 9 is going to become a real focal point in this draft.
I’ve heard they want another tall forward to support King

they’d be very keen on McDonald IMO as he’d be the perfect foil to King

I’ve heard they want another tall forward to support King

they’d be very keen on McDonald IMO as he’d be the perfect foil to King
They have given up on Peter Wright, I’m sure they are close to that with Day, they lost May, Luko looks like a running defender and they would have to be slightly worried about the Saints poaching King. It makes perfect sense for them to be looking talls, forward or back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back