Player Watch 2023 AFL Draft Pool Discussion Thread

Who would you prefer we pick with our first pick?

• Nick Watson

Votes: 147 36.2%
  • Zane Duursma

Votes: 136 33.5%
  • Colby McKercher

Votes: 50 12.3%
  • Daniel Curtin

Votes: 51 12.6%
  • Nate Caddy

Votes: 10 2.5%
  • Conor O'Sullivan

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • Ryley Sanders

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • Darcy Wilson

Votes: 2 0.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Same rule applies to this thread as other years, keep it on topic about the kids.
Don’t get bogged down on what other teams might do or where they will finish.

Trade speculation belongs here.

That's also where you can discuss your mock drafts or pick trades.

Any McCabe, Dear or Maginness talk belongs here.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm not sure if it was me you meant to reply to? I wasn't implying that we shouldn't be open to offers, I was implying that we shouldn't be open about being open to offers. (And by 'we' I'm not referring to BF posters).
Fair enough. I was responding to the “we are not trading down under any circumstances” posts as if that’s true, we don’t know what we are doing. Probably explains why most hawks supporters seem to think we get bent over more often than not.

I'm not sure if it was me you meant to reply to? I wasn't implying that we shouldn't be open to offers, I was implying that we shouldn't be open about being open to offers. (And by 'we' I'm not referring to BF posters).
At the risk of this becoming a whole "this is what we'll do/is this what they think we'll do?/ we think they think we'll do this so we'll do this instead." thing I'll just say this....

Don't back us on what we say we'll do (even if it ends up being what we're doing), but back us on what we actually do because that's what we think is best for the HFC going forward. Draft trickery and all ;)

Goodnight.

At the risk of this becoming a whole "this is what we'll do/is this what they think we'll do?/ we think they think we'll do this so we'll do this instead." thing I'll just say this....

Don't back us on what we say we'll do (even if it ends up being what we're doing), but back us on what we actually do because that's what we think is best for the HFC going forward. Draft trickery and all ;)

Goodnight.
That's it. Read between the lines.

From everything I’ve seen, if Watson was 10cm taller, he’d be in discussions for top pick. He can do some seriously good things.
Sincerely hope this doesn't come off as rude, but if Spud Webb had been 6'9" he'd have been Magic Johnson with hops. His height will at some point limit his ceiling. That's not an insult or anything he can control, but you simply can't make a decision that completely disregards that. Pretty sure that's not what you were saying, but there seem to be some who want to dismiss this limitation in its entirety. We still may want/take him and I will be fine with that, but eyes wide open is all I'm calling for.

There you go again. If he is lacking elite attributes then why is he going top 10 in the draft? Because he's tall? Read what's written by those who watch him play.
Just because you’re a top 10 pick dosent mean you have elite attributes. Plenty of top 10 picks have been busts. Perhaps you have a read into that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Goodnight.

The Situation Is Fluid

giphy.gif

Sincerely hope this doesn't come off as rude, but if Spud Webb had been 6'9" he'd have been Magic Johnson with hops. His height will at some point limit his ceiling. That's not an insult or anything he can control, but you simply can't make a decision that completely disregards that. Pretty sure that's not what you were saying, but there seem to be some who want to dismiss this limitation in its entirety. We still may want/take him and I will be fine with that, but eyes wide open is all I'm calling for.
Don’t worry, not making a huge claim to get him. Just pointing out how I see it. He’s got some crazy talent and would be as safe a pick as you could go with. It’s the type of talent you can’t easily teach. It is a bit Cyrillesque.

*I’ve never heard of Spud Webb.

Had a fairly respectable NBA career despite only being 168cm. Even won the slam dunk contest one year.
Exactly. Obviously a good player since he hung around the league for more than a decade, but even with an astounding leap, was limited.

Just because you’re a top 10 pick dosent mean you have elite attributes. Plenty of top 10 picks have been busts. Perhaps you have a read into that.
What you mean is: plenty of players with elite attributes don't turn out to be elite AFL players.

Curtin has elite skills and marking ability. Whether you think he'll become a good player is your own, uninformed opinion.

What you mean is: plenty of players with elite attributes don't turn out to be elite AFL players.

Curtin has elite skills and marking ability. Whether you think he'll become a good player is your own, uninformed opinion.
Depends how you define ‘elite’ I suppose. Pretty subjective.

Exactly. Obviously a good player since he hung around the league for more than a decade, but even with an astounding leap, was limited.

We wouldn't be drafting Watson to become a future star midfielder of the competition.

We'd be drafting him to do what he does best. Use his insane footy smarts and skill to put a score on the board week in, week out.

As a small forward, I don't see why his height 'limits' him in any way.

Keep in mind I remember plenty of people not wanting their sides to draft Caleb Serong a few years ago for height related reasons. And a perception that he lacked a genuine elite athletic attribute. Talent shines through above all else at the end of the day, as long as the player is prepared to put in the work.

That's why other people actually listen to experts, I suppose.

I'm going to side with him on this one, for the 'nuffie trifecta' potential.

I remember a poster claiming to be Ollie Henry's grandfather saying he was disappointed to be drafted by Collingwood and would request a trade to Geelong within 2 years.

Then there's the famous Timokane on the main board who claimed Collingwood would win 3 of the next 5 flags. But he said this pre-2022 when they'd just come off a 17th place finish.

Getting in early with the 'Duursma will suck' call.

Dan Curtin is the chb version of roughy , I feel like he even plays similar to him when roughy rolled through the midfield. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him especially since he last measured in at 197 , no concerns with the flight risk either , look at dgb has settled into Melbourne life just fine.

Dan Curtin is the chb version of roughy , I feel like he even plays similar to him when roughy rolled through the midfield. I wouldn't be disappointed if we took him especially since he last measured in at 197 , no concerns with the flight risk either , look at dgb has settled into Melbourne life just fine.
How soon can we get the curtin to chf campaign going?

Back