Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a strange feeling though, I echo the sentiments of others where I feel so much more excited for this years crop than last years and really, if you look at best 22 teams, the draft last year is actually off to a good start. Looks like two of them are best 22 as it stands (Emmett and Wagner) and those of us watching Peel are pretty big on Davies while Draper started the year really well.

If by round 1 2025, two of these three guys are best 22, then we'll have struck gold.

I really cant wait to watch Simpson in particularly in the first scratchie

Unfortunately it's going to be a big deal whoever gets no.29.

Pavlich was one of my heroes growing up and his status at the club has not diminished for me. The memories Pavlich created for me were because he was wearing purple and white whilst the number he wore on his back means little to me though.

I find it sad we as a club seem to have created pressure on the player that wears no.29. In 2008 Peter Bell retired. At the time he was a legend of the club and from a playing perspective probably still is. Stephen Hill wore his no.32 in round one the following season and wore it for twelve seasons. That's how it should be*.

*Wasn't against giving no.29 a season off at the time but not reallocating it after Valente's retirement six years after Pavlich retired was the wrong decision.

Last edited:
I honestly think it shouldn't be a big deal. Just start playing the number and getting it back out there. Once fyfe retires we can out up the pav and fyfe statues out the front anyway

Next year's 1st round shaping up to be almost as compromised as this year. Might not get to 29 picks next year, but will go close. There is another bunch of highly rated academy/FS picks (e.g. Ashcroft rated #1 or #2 currently) and a few FA (e.g. English and heaven forbid Darcy) who would get 1st round compo. There's also 19 and 20 that were given to North, who then traded them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would expect that we will have an opportunity to buy a very nice pick with a couple of our first rounders from a club seeking points.

Something like pick #10 and F2 to Sydney for Logan McDonald, St Kilda's second round pick to St Kilda for Lance Collard on compassionate grounds, picks #14 and #16 to CLUB for pick #5.

Next year's 1st round shaping up to be almost as compromised as this year. Might not get to 29 picks next year, but will go close. There is another bunch of highly rated academy/FS picks (e.g. Ashcroft rated #1 or #2 currently) and a few FA (e.g. English and heaven forbid Darcy) who would get 1st round compo. There's also 19 and 20 that were given to North, who then traded them.
Yeah so our first rounders could end up being in the 20s, which are borderline junk picks.

The system genuinely is stuffed.

My preference would be one of Callinan/Sanchez for small forwards, have a couple of potential options pushing would be good.
Then a HBF as others have mentioned, Clohesy has obviously been raised but Matt Carroll from the SEN list 'sounds' like an option.

Also don't understand the Odin link given our list.

Yeah, I was pissed off at the future 2nd for Henry for a reason, the 2nd round in particular is going to be ****ed with it already being two spots back thanks to the North bullshit.

I think the 1st round picks we have are going to be a bit protected at least and I think the noise from AFL teams is going to lead to a change to bidding that should help protect those picks a bit more

Yeah, I was pissed off at the future 2nd for Henry for a reason, the 2nd round in particular is going to be ****ed with it already being two spots back thanks to the North bullshit.

I think the 1st round picks we have are going to be a bit protected at least and I think the noise from AFL teams is going to lead to a change to bidding that should help protect those picks a bit more

I have no faith in the AFL changing anything. Especially with their love child Carlton having 2 x Camporeales next year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back