Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

As I posted earlier, most sides have 10-12 players who are KPP/ruck types. We now have 15. And I am excluding Corbett/Fyfe from our numbers and including the likes of Mihocek to get the Pies up to 12.

If Logan McDonald is coming, that takes us to 16. We should be reducing the tall timber by at least 4. Which means carrying a list imbalance through 2024 and then cutting a big chunk out of Reidy, Knobel, Kuek, Taberner, Davies, O.McDonald (who are all out of contract end of 2024).

As I posted earlier, most sides have 10-12 players who are KPP/ruck types. We now have 15. And I am excluding Corbett/Fyfe from our numbers and including the likes of Mihocek to get the Pies up to 12.

If Logan McDonald is coming, that takes us to 16. We should be reducing the tall timber by at least 4. Which means carrying a list imbalance through 2024 and then cutting a big chunk out of Reidy, Knobel, Kuek, Taberner, Davies, O.McDonald (who are all out of contract end of 2024).

Tabs, Kuek are realistically gone by next season.. and one of Reid and Knobel

Just now too tall for my liking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davies is here too 2026

McDonald til 2025

Probably spend the year in reserves like knoble did

I guess he takes bennings role?

Feels unnecessary for me
You're comparing him to a kid who barely played WAFL seniors. This guy may not make it at AFL level, but he'll be ready to go physically if he can step up.

Scouting notes from week 1 of the WAFL Colts finals say he spent some time as a midfielder when the relief ruck was employed.

Maybe he and Jackson can both be hybrid ruck / mids.
I've been made look silly many times but if Odin plays a minute of AFL or even WAFL as a mid I'll give up knowing anything about football...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd be careful about making too much noise about academy players - the big disadvantage for us is we have never had a chance to make the most of these concessions.

I'm still waiting for father son rules to change right before we get a crack at a few highly rated players.

Making noise doesn't take players off other teams that have already been picked.

So we're done. Particularly happy with Simpson and Delean. Murphy's highlights didn't set my loins aglow, but he appears to be highly rated. I like the looks of Odin's competitiveness, follow-up and contested marking, even if there's a decent chance he'll never get to play a seniors game.

Not a bad outing all up. Biggest disappointment is that we don't get see what special power-up is unlocked by collecting the full set of O'Driscolls.

I'd be careful about making too much noise about academy players - the big disadvantage for us is we have never had a chance to make the most of these concessions.

I'm still waiting for father son rules to change right before we get a crack at a few highly rated players.

Making noise doesn't take players off other teams that have already been picked.
With the way it stands, we are always going to be ****ed, the best time to fix it other than yesterday is today.

It might take another 15 years for the current system inequality to be flushed out but if they can by some miracle not be corrupt turds, a fairer system brought in before next years draft will mean we are closer to having a chance sooner than if they wait.

Last edited:
With the way it stands, we are always going to be ****ed, the best time to fix it other than yesterday is today.

It might take another 15 years for the current system inequality to be flushed out but if they can by some miracle not be corrupt turds, a fairer system brought in before next years draft will mean we closer to having a chance sooner than if they wait.

What does that system look like?

Why are not all the non vic clubs asking for the FS rule to be the same league wide?

Given you anointed our other draftees Judd, Andrews and Betts I thought you'd be against pigeon holing Odin as a purely speculative fwd / ruck project.
Fair point, until proven otherwise, I'm excited to have the only two unicorns playing AFL on the list

Remove this Banner Ad

Back