Game Day 2023 AFL Draft - The Late Male Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Depends on Mitch Edwards. He makes it to 41 and we are game on. That pick 67 becomes a pick in the 40’s. Listening to Walls he views Mitch as a Rory Lobb type.

If Edwards goes early tonight then we may try and move up by selling an F4 to GC. They don’t have one and we could get a much earlier pick.

If not GC and WB etc. that have a heap of picks will just pass and 67 moves into the 50’s anyway.

Sam Clohessy and Shaun Mannagh would be a couple of candidates for our late pick, wherever that falls. As mentioned earlier Freo might be hoping they are available (at least one) as rookie.
Clohesy you'd think would make it to rookie.

Probably sounding like a noob here but, is this two night thing permanent draft system?
What’s the actual deal here? Why not have a full draft in one piece and get it over and done with?

Probably sounding like a noob here but, is this two night thing permanent draft system?
What’s the actual deal here? Why not have a full draft in one piece and get it over and done with?
Has been the case for a few years.

think there's a few reasons behind it.
-Allows both halves to be in prime time
-Gives clubs and fans time to drool over the first round picks, and media pieces etc. before "the rest" get drafted
-Allows clubs to assess the situation (who's left, picks etc.) to plan the next phase
-More media airtime and saturation

Depends on Mitch Edwards. He makes it to 41 and we are game on. That pick 67 becomes a pick in the 40’s. Listening to Walls he views Mitch as a Rory Lobb type.

If Edwards goes early tonight then we may try and move up by selling an F4 to GC. They don’t have one and we could get a much earlier pick.

If not GC and WB etc. that have a heap of picks will just pass and 67 moves into the 50’s anyway.

Sam Clohessy and Shaun Mannagh would be a couple of candidates for our late pick, wherever that falls. As mentioned earlier Freo might be hoping they are available (at least one) as rookie.
For me pick 41 is irrelevant for Edwards. It's when we have the choice but that choice should be obvious.

It's being after our second selection (not likely to be much later than pick 41) that really matters for me.

I think the two mature agers last until the rookie draft or beyond pick 50. Historically only mature agers that could spend ten years in the system go much higher.

AFL is the controlling body of the sport.
AFLM & AFLW are the competitions.

We never needed the "M" previously, as there was no "W" version.

We have a women's draft coming up in a month, so when you're scrolling the forum, it makes sense to differentiate between the two so it's easier to find what you're after. It's just categorisation.

Better put Male Edition after every thread title then? Preseason 2024 - Male Edition, etc. etc.

How about instead we start a separate forum for the AFLW team, and those interested can go there without having to wonder which of the two equally important teams we are discussing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think we can necessarily discount us just taking Edwards at 38 if he’s our top rated player. It certainly sounds like we want him. It’s at least a possibility rather than waiting.

If we have earmarked someone like Loch Rawlinson as the small forward target for example, then maybe we’d be confident of him getting through to our last pick and then we take Edwards early.

Might depend how serious the interest in Cooper Simpson is if he’s available.

Wonder why we weren't willing to chase Collard.

Hopefully we can get him on the cheap in 2 years
We knew he would slide and by the time pick 25 came about no way we are handing off F1. I believe we had a crack at some earlier players using F1 but as you can see teams were clambering to get up the board to get a hold of in particular Curtin and Caddy. Without an early pick we were no chance. Both GWS and Geelong wanted to retain an earlier presence whilst improving hand slightly for this year and next year.

If we did a deal with GCS to get pick 26 then we would have been a chance to say trade 32 and F2 for 27 late into the draft last night. Once it got to 28 and St Kilda and 29 Carlton I knew both those clubs would raffle between them Collard and Moir. WC prob hoping one would slide through but now they get the option to consider another.

WC is interesting - according to Cal they have been trying to convince Lycett to come out of retirement. Yet they have Jamieson and Barnett that they selected in recent years.

I’d suggest they are happy with the developing rucks but feel neither are ready to AFL. I feel WC are unlikely to select Mitch Edwards with either 30 or 40. We won’t either with 38 or 41. So leaves 31,32,33,34,35,36,37,39 to get through (8 picks). Brisbane unlikely as they have drafted a few ruckmen in recent years as well. So down to 6.

We knew he would slide and by the time pick 25 came about no way we are handing off F1. I believe we had a crack at some earlier players using F1 but as you can see teams were clambering to get up the board to get a hold of in particular Curtin and Caddy. Without an early pick we were no chance. Both GWS and Geelong wanted to retain an earlier presence whilst improving hand slightly for this year and next year.

If we did a deal with GCS to get pick 26 then we would have been a chance to say trade 32 and F2 for 27 late into the draft last night. Once it got to 28 and St Kilda and 29 Carlton I knew both those clubs would raffle between them Collard and Moir. WC prob hoping one would slide through but now they get the option to consider another.

WC is interesting - according to Cal they have been trying to convince Lycett to come out of retirement. Yet they have Jamieson and Barnett that they selected in recent years.

I’d suggest they are happy with the developing rucks but feel neither are ready to AFL. I feel WC are unlikely to select Mitch Edwards with either 30 or 40. We won’t either with 38 or 41. So leaves 31,32,33,34,35,36,37,39 to get through (8 picks). Brisbane unlikely as they have drafted a few ruckmen in recent years as well. So down to 6.
Yep, we need to learn from this. Clubs were happy to trade back, but not out.

Wonder why we weren't willing to chase Collard.

Hopefully we can get him on the cheap in 2 years
Because we only draft church choir boys with good work ethic. Walls said Collard had areas he needed to work on like no s**t? He's a draft pick ofc he does.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood at 37 and Carlton at 34 are the big risks. And never rule out SOS shithousery with St Kilda's pick at 33.

We seem to have had almost zero genuine interest in trying to maximise our access to youth this year with the trades we have done.

I'm starting to wonder if we are going to just take Mannagh and Clohesy. And if Edwards is bid on after 40, then match that.

Content.

Splitting the draft over two nights gives you two night's worth of prime time content. Both nights in shorter, more digestable chunks that just one looong draft telecast where most viewers will tune out after the first couple of hours or so.

As well as an extra day's worth of draft analysis. So many more media stories when the draft is split
  • who will get picked on night one
  • who did get picked on night one
  • who didn't get picked on night one
  • who were the bolters on night one
  • who is left to be picked on night two
  • who will your club pick on night two
  • the secret "behind the scenes" deals for night two
  • who will pick first on night two
  • who will trade to pick first on night two
  • etc

The draft is not about club "equalisation" or anything stupid like that. Its about content creation because the AFL's business model is wholesale provision of content to media retailers.

The more opportunities the AFL creates for generating content the better the AFL industry is (see AFLW, mid season drafts, supplementary pickup periods in mid-season, pre-season games, "opening round" before round 1, "gather round", speciality rounds such as Sir Doug Nicholls, etc)

Collingwood at 37 and Carlton at 34 are the big risks. And never rule out SOS shithousery with St Kilda's pick at 33.
Carlton’s list manager on Gettable last Sunday confirmed when Cal Twomey asked, they were interested in Collard, Moir and Edward’s. Nothing more surer that that filth will draft him at their pick before us.

PSA: To save people's hopes being crushed tonight, know that Mitch Edwards will be drafted by another club.

Not that fussed if Edwards is drafted in the 30s.

He's talented but I think Knobel is just as talented. The sake of list balance I think Reidy is needed for another 2-3 years plus I think there's enough there with Reidy that he'll be solid depth on an AFL list for a while - five rucks on the list is too many.

Richmond too

Lost soldo and replaced him with a 30 year old

They see Samson as a forward
I've got them linked with Logan Morris, Archer Reid, Luke Lloyd and Tew Jiath first. George Stevens another.

They're apparently getting Sam Naismith as a DFA.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back