Certified Legendary Thread 2023 ICC Men's Cricket World Cup Game 48 The Final India v Australia 19/11 1900hrs @ Narendra Modi Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Watching Narendra Modi in a carefully stage-managed appearance in his traditional garb, at the same ground the narcissist named after himself, standing next to Sachin Tendulkar, while fireworks of the Indian flag and Indian map go off, and the word 'Champions' blasts over the top, handing the World Cup to.. Pat Cummins in front of a crowd of 7 people, while the deputy PM of Australia looks on in bemusement.

chefs kiss

Without anyone getting too defensive, does anyone think 50 over cricket is a bit harder to watch? Seemed too long. Didn't watch us bowl and waited for the batting. Ended up finishing it on kayo this morning, skipping through. Whole thing on kayo went 9hrs. T20 has probably conditioned the mind a bit but if it's not a test or T20 I'm not interested. Just an opinion and glad we won. I'd be happy with they canned 50 over cricket all together
No - the game ebbed and flowed, momentum swung violently, thus is the essence of the game, India were 81 after 10, lost wickets and went into their shells and ultimately surrendered the upper hand in a hostile environment…it was gripping. The run chase was just as gripping.

Seriously, I’m not sure what you’re after if you didn’t enjoy it.

The last two WC Finals have been epic

No - the game ebbed and flowed, momentum swung violently, thus is the essence of the game, India were 81 after 10, lost wickets and went into their shells and ultimately surrendered the upper hand in a hostile environment…it was gripping. The run chase was just as gripping.

Seriously, I’m not sure what you’re after if you didn’t enjoy it.

The last two WC Finals have been epic
Wickets still mean something in ODIs.

T20 wickets are about as exciting as an individual lay up in basketball sometimes.

Well we did score more runs against India in our semi final than Australia did in the final but unfortunately we conceded more runs too.

Not that surprised Australia won the final with all the pressure on India and I'm also not surprised the final wasn't as close as the 2019 final.

Too much variation in batting and bowling conditions from day to night in India made for a lot of dull one sided games like the one yesterday.

I don't think it was any coincidence that one of the closest games between Australia and NZ was a day game rather than a day night game.
You'd maybe get a skeric of respect around here if you'd give credit where due rather than horse s**t excuses and deflections f###wit.

“India have been beaten so far by conditions more than anything else, really.''

- Sanjay Manjrekar

They're Indian conditions mate. The game was in India, on a pitch prepared by Indians, and specifically curated to help India win.

Also, the Captain of India stated he would have batted first on it anyway if he had won the toss.

India was beaten because Cummins had a clear plan, and he and the side executed it. We smothered the Indians (and the crowd), and they had no response.

Most were surprised when Cummins bowled first. I thought that was their best way to win and it paid off. India would’ve bowled first

87 is still the best of the 6
Yea easy to say now but that was our chance to get on top and effect them mentally early. Like if we batted no matter how much we make up to 400 they would still feel like they are in the game. Get them under pressure (eventually) batting first - we saw how they coped.

I wasn't until we got within 50 runs that I did start to relax before that it was a clenched sphincter the whole time
I thought we were in serious trouble when Smith got out. 3 down with close to 200 runs still to get and the ball was still moving around a lot.

The end result was comprehensive, but only because they stood up to the pressure so well. It was a tremendous performance from Head (and good support from Marnus).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“India have been beaten so far by conditions more than anything else, really.''

- Sanjay Manjrekar

They're Indian conditions mate. The game was in India, on a pitch prepared by Indians, and specifically curated to help India win.

Also, the Captain of India stated he would have batted first on it anyway if he had won the toss.

India was beaten because Cummins had a clear plan, and he and the side executed it. We smothered the Indians (and the crowd), and they had no response.
We might need to rename that beer again.

Watching Narendra Modi in a carefully stage-managed appearance in his traditional garb, at the same ground the narcissist named after himself, standing next to Sachin Tendulkar, while fireworks of the Indian flag and Indian map go off, and the word 'Champions' blasts over the top, handing the World Cup to.. Pat Cummins in front of a crowd of 7 people, while the deputy PM of Australia looks on in bemusement.

chefs kiss

With an entrée of lab talking up our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.

Near ideal evening

I got absolutely sucked into this World Cup. Usually i'm indifferent to all ODI cricket, but it was first the Mitch Marsh tonne, then i found myself chucking each game on - at a perfect time each night after work. Then the Maxwell innings. Now this final. Oh lord what an amazing series. Single handedly saved ODI for my perspective.

Odi is a bit weird (light years ahead of 20/20 however )

Yet world cups are always quality imho. More when Aussies take home the gold.

Win or loss I thought it was a great world cup

Well we did score more runs against India in our semi final than Australia did in the final but unfortunately we conceded more runs too.

Not that surprised Australia won the final with all the pressure on India and I'm also not surprised the final wasn't as close as the 2019 final.

Too much variation in batting and bowling conditions from day to night in India made for a lot of dull one sided games like the one yesterday.

I don't think it was any coincidence that one of the closest games between Australia and NZ was a day game rather than a day night game.
Yep, a huge accomplishment for the kiwis to post a bigger score in a completely different fixture.
It can be added to the long list of other huge kiwi cricketing achievements, such as zero world cup wins and 8 test match wins against Australia from 60 attempts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back