Autopsy 2023 Rd 19 5 wins in a row over 50 but injuries hit hard

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

The thing that really kills honey is that even in our reserves Ronke and Cahill are better then him. Both would have been picked before him yesterday if available.

So you can't really re-sign him as you would be better off giving his list spot to one of those guys.
I was a big fan when we signed him. Could see the aggression he brought And liked it, but Owies, Durdin, and Motts all have good football brains to go with their frenetic play. While Honey is a great athlete, he’s thinking lets him down at times.

The thing that really kills honey is that even in our reserves Ronke and Cahill are better then him. Both would have been picked before him yesterday if available.

So you can't really re-sign him as you would be better off giving his list spot to one of those guys.

Has he ever been tried on-ball in the VFL? Doesn’t seem to know how to find it out on a flank. Be interesting to see how he’d go if he was forced to be around the ball more.

Honey has relatively poor field awareness and therefore wastes a lot of his athletic strengths at AFL level. He has the same issues as Durdin/Motlop to get over as far as defensive effectiveness goes- too often these blokes straight line at players at full speed and are evaded with easy lateral movement. Smarter more experienced players always leave that last 10-15% of speed until their opponent is fully comitted to a line of run. Really good defensive smarts is more about timing when to commit 100% to a contest than always running at 100%.

What Honey needs to do is work very hard on improving his anticiaption and prediction in both defense and attack. Too much to work with for the Club to toss aside (IMO) the goal he kicked yesterday was class. He looks better in congestion than he does elsewhere - I am surprised he isnt able to find space and be a target more often - but I dont know wether he is playing to instruction as far as that goes. Casual observation based on how Voss speaks to him - makes me think Voss is a believer.

Dow is just Dow people who think he is a contested bull or even an alternative to Cripps or Kennedy, Hewett or Cerra as a primary extractor are kidding themselves he doesnt have the size or strength to play repeat contested ball in and under roles. Dow is actually a first reciever type - like Walsh - without the endurance base or running capacity or smarts - as alternative first recievers Walsh, Cerra and Kennedy have Dow covered - Dow also doesnt have the versatility of Hewett or even Ed Curnow.

So at Carlton Dow is ok/good depth and that is how he has been used. Can Dow improve? Well age suggests he has that opportunity and I suspect that his #1 focus could be to massively improve his running capacity because if he tries to bulk up he will lose his primary burst attributes. However after so many years in aprofessional system - it may well be that he just lacks the physical capability to become a strong each way runner at AFL levels which demands ridiculous levels of endurance at speed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard his 2 way running was below par, maybe overrated.
it's a very subjective thing, I was often full to the gills with ballarat bertie beer at the time, which was then the exotic ale for the drinker with style......

watching the kayo mini, charlie's best goals were his last 2 for mine............
Thought it was definitely fitting his 10th was such a clever one off the deck after bringing it to ground

Played a very weak side so not a great deal to take away from it. Our entire best 22 onball group was absent for most of the game with no Cripps, Cerra, Walsh and Kennedy out for the entire game or half the game considering Walsh was off before half time. Docherty stood up and went in there. Walsh was huge for his brief stint, Hewett stood up and Dow stood up. Depth tick. Backline was good even though there are a few out and the forward line, particularly Curnow was dangerous.

We had a lot of of our VFL side in IMO, probably 9 players who aren't best 22. Fortunately many are AFL quality. The big deal was that we had so many of our cream out. Cripps, Cerra, Walsh, Kennedy, McKay and Williams are probably our missing elite.

A good win, percentage boosting but the injuries are a worry. Lets hope that many are precautionary.

Hewett - His best game of the season, he stood up in the absence of Cripps and Kennedy. Looks to be fit, filled that void very well, probably close to BOG.

Docherty - Equal BOG, stood up big time when needed as an onballer. He's in red hot form in many positions.

Newman - Gob busy at half back running up the field, another who is in really good form. Great reader of the play and the pressure we apply now helps.

Saad - His run just kills sides, it's what we are all about now.

Dow - Pretty much translated his VFL game into this game. Not a huge step up from VFL as they are weak but his onball time was not as much as he would get in the VFL. The ability to get the footy, clear it and run forward just breaks down the opposition's team defence and creates one on ones. Super valuable. His first quarter was very good, the rest of the day he did what he had to. Dow does not have to get 30 possessions to be valuable, he just needs to support Walsh with his running game, provide a bit of the same and kick the odd goal and he did that. Thought he was impressive enough.

Curnow - He's a generational superstar tall forward. Someone to really enjoy, you don't get to see them that often.

Kemp - Played a fair bit undersized so got out marked a few times but what you get is the ability to run and defend leads and carry the footy which is modern defence. He was very solid, really looks comfortable at the level.

DeKoning - Should have kicked a few. His aerial game has improved, he's looking good.

Hollands - He's just an AFL player. He's hard at it, he's quick and runs all day. Does he fit in with our new game style, hell yes. Probably not a big enought game to stamp himself in the best 22 position but I liked what he brought.

Weitering - Just too good. He's got stronger and our pressure has given him more balls to mark and defend. He played on quicker which I like and was damaging by foot, really good game.

Ed Curnow - Just looks like a struggling player. He was ok but the opposition are terrible.

Walsh - Blitzed them and then copped an injury. Hoping it's got a lot to do with us being up by so much and it being precautionary.

McGovern - Love him in our side, he's a rare talent and I hope people who have bagged him for years are eating their words. Guys that size with that skillset and speed do not grow on trees.

Fogarty - Quiet game but he tackled and pressured. His goal kicking will always be suspect.

Cuningham - Quiet game goals and possession wise but what he did he had impact.

Cottrell - I expected a bigger game, he had impact but not a lot of it.

Cincotta - He's a quality defender, he's quick, good user and good defender one on one.

Motlop - Another I am hoping is just precautionary because he was again very good.

Cowan - I was not dissappointed in many and I expected bigger things from him but he was poor. He will be a good player but he showed he has some ways to go.

Young - Disappointing game from young. Real opportunity to step up and make an impact and he was super quiet. He's a big tall strong mark. Where is it!

Silvagni - He started strong and then he was out of the game. Not good news.

Honey - Kicked a nice goal but very little impact.

Back