Autopsy 2023 Rd 19 5 wins in a row over 50 but injuries hit hard

Who played well for the Blues in Round 19 vs the Eagles?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I was on the give Dow and others an opportunity train…

Reasoning- I want us to reward VFL form when comparable AFL players are struggling… Promotes drive from below and removes favouritism…

If Dow makes it, he makes it… If he doesn’t, he doesn’t… At least he has been given the opportunity now…

But the focus on here around just Dow is astonishing…

Dow is s**t and Hollands is God Tier however their kicking efficiency is equally as bad…

I was on the give Dow and others an opportunity train…

Reasoning- I want us to reward VFL form when comparable AFL players are struggling… Promotes drive from below and removes favouritism…

If Dow makes it, he makes it… If he doesn’t, he doesn’t… At least he has been given the opportunity now…

But the focus on here around just Dow is astonishing…

Dow is s**t and Hollands is God Tier however their kicking efficiency is equally as bad…
Hollands' extremities are a bit much at this stage imo, will be a player though.

Went to the game yesterday and I have been in the Dow camp but that disposal is awful… need to relax a little … I was thinking Dow over hewitt anyday but after yesterday hewitt is a lot cleaner and understand what others see for once..
Overall was a training drill Walsh 1st half was sublime and I have not read any commmets on this thread but are our injuries due to our style of game..
also loved seeing Charlie kick 10

I read all the positive comments on here about yesterday’s game and I am left thinking I have become too negative from all the years of dissapointment.

Yesterday we lost the second half to easily the worst team in the league. How many halves have Westcoast won this year? We lost our best player to injury and we also missed a golden opportunity to wind in the % deficit to Geelong (take a look at our relative position on the ladder after today to see why that is disaster in the making).

Some big games coming up, looking forward to seeing how we go.

Dow is what he is. He has to his credit worked on his game and improved, he can certainly play AFL footy, but in a team with a strong midfield he's down the pecking order.

I read all the positive comments on here about yesterday’s game and I am left thinking I have become too negative from all the years of dissapointment.

Yesterday we lost the second half to easily the worst team in the league. How many halves have Westcoast won this year? We lost our best player to injury and we also missed a golden opportunity to wind in the % deficit to Geelong (take a look at our relative position on the ladder after today to see why that is disaster in the making).

We coasted in the second half I'm sure you would've noticed our bench, six to ten weeks ago was a disaster but at the minute we're flying.

Yes, past disappointment has clouded your judgement.
We were amazing (largely thanks to Walsh) 1st half.
We were never going to kick 30+ goals (pace we were on).
Second half we were well down on rotations & didn’t need to keep up the break neck pace. We did more than enough & it was smart managment not to keep red lining the performance given the short break & our upcoming games

it's a nice feeling to relax about having it in the bag at qtr time. unfortunate to pick up injuries towards the pointy end after having a good run. yeah we could have won by more but that's what happens when you don't have rotations or you're missing players.

looking forward to next week up against the benchmark. our depth looks ok against some bottom teams, we may find out how ok next week depending on who is still out. dow and ed curnow solid, honey a bit too quiet, young kinda did his bit when sos went off. there might still be more footy for them in the weeks ahead. cottrell seems like someone we could follow naicos with, and sneak a goal or two at the same time. shame to be maybe missing motlop who had turned into the goalsneak we thought we needed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I noticed yesterday was that we reverted back to kicking the ball from 80 to 90 metres out into 35 to 40 metres out. Unlike the previous week where we were getting it into 15 to 20 metres out from goal.

If we do this against collingwood and not get it in deep enough, they will easily transition the ball out of our forward line. Get it in deep and put pressure on their backs

One thing I noticed yesterday was that we reverted back to kicking the ball from 80 to 90 metres out into 35 to 40 metres out. Unlike the previous week where we were getting it into 15 to 20 metres out from goal.

If we do this against collingwood and not get it in deep enough, they will easily transition the ball out of our forward line. Get it in deep and put pressure on their backs
Yep agreed - I’m putting this down to not having Cerra Cripps Martin Walsh

They weren't doing it in the first half really. They still lowered the eyes and looked to hit up players 70 out before any long kicks. Second half doesn’t really count as they were in second gear.

I'd be shocked if they just went away from what's worked.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Settle.

They had 3, at times 4, players unable to take the field..... for most of the game!

Of course they decided to park it in 1st gear.

You telling me pre game, with all our outs, you wouldn't settle for a 70 point win?

TBF
Any team with 1-2 rotation for a half of football would struggle...

Last edited:
People with negative comment on about losing the second half need to get a grip. Team played brilliantly yesterday even after being three down with the sub coming on early.

The only thing I am concerned with is Young, had another stinker and way down on confidence. Dow is Dow he is the 6-7th best midfielder in the team. People wasting their breath fighting about him is amusing at best. He will find another home, might stay on the list but he will never be a dominant midfielder, just has too many flaws …. I think we must all come to realise that pick 3 was well and truly wasted by SOS. Saying that he is a brilliant VFL footballer and handy depth for this year and I am not potting him. Just showed yesterday against a pretty poor side that he’s an average AFL mid at best.

Hopefully the injuries were way more precautionary than anything else (fingers crossed) …. If not then the footy gods can GAGF!

Was at the game - I was a supporter but sorry, Honeys not going to make it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
At this point he’s depth behind Motts and Owies. Durdin is about level with him, but has massively more upside to him. Maybe he can do a Holman and go to another club and carve out a career.

At this point he’s depth behind Motts and Owies. Durdin is about level with him, but has massively more upside to him. Maybe he can do a Holman and go to another club and carve out a career.

The thing that really kills honey is that even in our reserves Ronke and Cahill are better then him. Both would have been picked before him yesterday if available.

So you can't really re-sign him as you would be better off giving his list spot to one of those guys.

Dow is what he is. He has to his credit worked on his game and improved, he can certainly play AFL footy, but in a team with a strong midfield he's down the pecking order.
For mine, and I’m pretty sure I’ve said this in the past, but Dow should be part of the rotation… used to rest the A midfield group. I’m pretty sure he’ll be traded come the end of the year so he can get opportunities.

Back